Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 jeep TJ wrangler, 2021 ford ranger FX4 sCrew
Occupation
retired
oh yeah, one other thing I asked him.

I've seen the topics regarding a laptop and forscan software, or whatever it's called. I haven't read up on that subject. I don't know if I COULD understand it, even if I had read some of it. Maybe I could.

I haven't "searched" it.

So I didn't know exactly how to ask him about you guys who over-ride, or hack, or modify the factory software for tuning the engine, or installing a push button start, or getting free sirius radio. He understood where I was going and said that even though I don't have the big touch screen display...on the assembly line it's "probably" not unusual to equip all the rangers with some electronics...some programable software, and then they only enable those features intended for my 101A package and hardware.

I hope I'm making some sense of this. I know I'm way off on any real understanding.
If anyone wants to summarize the concept for me...I'd be interested to learn.

And, finally, I'm not pissed off, or any way less enthusiastic about typing up stuff on your chatterbox forum. Sometimes reading words, can be misunderstood.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
oh yeah, one other thing I asked him.

I've seen the topics regarding a laptop and forscan software, or whatever it's called. I haven't read up on that subject. I don't know if I COULD understand it, even if I had read some of it. Maybe I could.

I haven't "searched" it.

So I didn't know exactly how to ask him about you guys who over-ride, or hack, or modify the factory software for tuning the engine, or installing a push button start, or getting free sirius radio. He understood where I was going and said that even though I don't have the big touch screen display...on the assembly line it's "probably" not unusual to equip all the rangers with some electronics...some programable software, and then they only enable those features intended for my 101A package and hardware.

I hope I'm making some sense of this. I know I'm way off on any real understanding.
If anyone wants to summarize the concept for me...I'd be interested to learn.

And, finally, I'm not pissed off, or any way less enthusiastic about typing up stuff on your chatterbox forum. Sometimes reading words, can be misunderstood.
Steve, there's a lot you can add or delete with Forscan. I never really got into using it because I'm pretty happy with the way mine is now. Besides with my luck I'll have all sorts of crazy stuff going on/off that shouldn't! :crazy: If you want to read up some on it there are a couple of sticky threads I'll post below. If there's something specific you'd like to do that's a good place to post and ask there.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-modifications.1844/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-crowdsourced-wiki.2008/

Last edited:

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Im thinking maybe spray it with some silicone? Mine opens up just fine and leaves plenty of room for my finger
Same. I've had zero issue with this. My biggest "pet peeve" issues with my XLT are: (1) only driver's window is automatic; (2) no bezel around the ignition switch; (3) no adaptive cruise control (I had a 2017 CR-V that came with it at the mid-level trim). That's kind of it. At mid-level trim, the truck is great! The stereo system is fine (I don't tend to play music loud enough so that everyone in the neighborhood can hear), it's got Apple CarPlay... I'm happy.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
hello again...I have some researched information regarding my quest for a flat old-fashioned key.

But first, it's pretty cool that so many of you have added stuff to my first ranger topic. I get it that my questions are of questionable value, and maybe just stupid.

Today, I went to a local true-value hardware store up the street. It was convenient, and I've been in there many times. It's run well, and there's usually some older employees that have impressed me.

I didn't expect that they could make me a laser cut key, but they understood what I was trying to do. They use a mobile automotive key guy who comes to your location. Smart keys, chip keys, fobs...whatever you call yours...that's all he does. They hand out his card, and so I called him.

Now, I don't know nuthin'...but the key guy on the phone impressed me, he also understood what I wanted, and he was friendly. The bottom line is, I am in fact, SOL.

There's a lot more typing now, if you want to read.

There was no confusion with him on the phone. He knew about remote start and push button start options where you just keep your key fob in your pocket. I don't have that key. He knew about the fordpass app that I have on my phone. I have already taught myself how to lock/unlock and remote start my truck. I still need my key fob in the ignition if I want to drive my truck.

Even though my key is just a remote door lock, chirp key. It does have a chip in it. While on the phone, he had me wrap the fob part with kitchen aluminum foil. The key fob will not start the truck. A signal is blocked by the foil.

He was pretty much aware with ford keys, different ford model vehicles. He said...ford dealers have you over the barrel now. Independents like him, need software to build keys. Some vehicles, the software is made available to his profession within a short period of time. He does not yet get to have the ranger software, or the F-350. At best, if he had the ranger software, my dream of a slim key would still require a chip in it to start the truck. And he could make such a key, without the door lock buttons, and alarm/panic button.

He can make a door lock key, now, no problem. That would be a partial solution to my wish.

I asked him about the paper dog tag that comes on the new keys when the dealer hands them to you. They have a number code on them. I've never seen them in person, so I can't say more. I showed you earlier in this thread the page in the glove box book that describes them. I didn't get those paper dog tags from the dealer. He said that isn't unusual, and for his profession, he wouldn't need the number code. They might be useful in years to come, to make it easier for a ford dealer to duplicate my keys.

But he needs the ranger software from ford to program an aftermarket truck key.

Some of you guys are real smart. I am trying to tell you what I was told, but if I misunderstood something, or this fella didn't know everything...that's on me.

I'm gonna get a plain door key for my minimal key ring. I can lock my phone and ford provided key fob in the truck when I want to go lightweight. I'm no more paranoid about doing that, than I am about sugar in my gas tank. It's all about where you go, where you park the truck...and bad luck.

I was just asking some questions here. Thank you for involving yourself in the topics.

Steve
Thank you for researching that. What you described ("door key") is exactly what I want, a spare key that will unlock the door (or tailgate) but won't start the truck. Its very useful for when you locked the key in the truck, for example.

Now that I know it can be done I will search for a locksmith to make one for me.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I just joined up and said hey on the introduction forum. Got some friendly replies.

This is gonna be pretty lame stuff, but I need to wade in and get some practice here.

I just got a 2021 XL FX4/STX crew cab. Read the paperback book over a couple nights. Put some floormats in it that were recommended by some on this forum. Really haven't had it long enough to discover much to talk about. And not at all disappointed about anything, so keep that in mind if I sound like I'm critical.

ranger fuel door 1.jpg

ranger fuel door 2.jpg

there's no effective way to open the fuel door except to get your fingernail under the lip. not difficult, but seems like an incomplete thought.

I don't have a release button in the cab. and there's no latch or spring to overcome when I open the flap. the indentation doesn't do anything. I tried pressing on it in several locations so see if I was stupid. there's no gas cap on the filler neck. that's supposed to be a good thing?

is this an XL model thing? the same on the lariats?

fuel tank seems vulnerable to vandalism...angry ex girlfriend...loser in the bowl game betting.

what was the engineering logic involved? thinking about adding a thin rubber flag/tab, with weatherstrip adhesive, on the back side of the flap.
Dude. Push the door in. It pops out. Are you forcing it open??????

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
Thank you for researching that. What you described ("door key") is exactly what I want, a spare key that will unlock the door (or tailgate) but won't start the truck. Its very useful for when you locked the key in the truck, for example.

Now that I know it can be done I will search for a locksmith to make one for me.
You should already have one. There’s a flat key inside your key fob, for you to use if the battery in either your car or your key fob dies. Just push the button and it slides out.
B5C195FC-7539-42A1-B581-8F442A8D9FE1.jpeg

If you want a spare flat key, you can get the blank for about $11 online and have someone cut it from yours. Shouldn’t be more than a few dollars, since no electronics need to be programmed for the door/tailgate key.

https://northcoastkeyless.com/produ...-ford-smart-key-fob-remote-fcc-m3n-a2c931426/

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My key fob looks nothing like that. I don't have the "push to start" button, just a conventional ignition switch that uses a key. Much too big to slip into a pocket.
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.17.01 PM.png

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Steve and I may take you up on that next time I'm in FL. I'll buy the beers and you buy the burgers. Just beware for a little guy I can eat quite a bit. :D

wimpy-popeye-hamburger-1.jpg
Hey, isn't the gal on the left the original resultant of having a tailgate damper? ;)

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Dude...read post #11...

thanks, Steve
I did. Numerous times. No clue what you're doin. Push it in until no more movement and it pops open.

And most new cars don't have a filler cap. Yes it is a good thing. New technology and all.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
My key fob looks nothing like that. I don't have the "push to start" button, just a conventional ignition switch that uses a key. Much too big to slip into a pocket.
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.17.01 PM.png
How small are your pockets? Fold key. Slips right in. No issue.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager