First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
thank you Chris for the attachment from the manual. I have the same in paperback.

Is it easy for me to get the whole book in pdf? No...I haven't searched yet. your pages are clearer and color highlighted.
Yup!! Click here.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
A few months ago, I went to get gas as I usually do...and the gas door would not open! No matter where & how I pressed. What the heck??? :shock: Anyway, I left without getting gas. I was embarrassed...felt like people thought that crazy woman doesn’t even know how to put gas in her truck! Got home & my husband opened it right up with a slight push.:facepalm: It has not happened again & only happened that one time in almost two years. Wasn’t holding my mouth right, I guess. Still hasn’t dampened my love for my Ranger! (See what I did there @AzScorpion?):inlove:
You were lucky! Next fill up...
Unknown.jpeg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with you on the flat key idea but not for the same reason. It’s either me or the design of the fob but I am forever setting off the panic alarm when I have the fob in my pocket or I’m juggling keys, mail, sunglasses, etc.

Okay, I’m pretty sure it’s me.

1618963318184.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now Tracey has definitely stumbled onto something here! We’re going to need a mini damper for the gas cap! One push and open says-a-me!:turkey::turkey::turkey:
Might just have to add those "mini dampers" to my damper farm now. ? Maybe Al @Texasota would finally get one of those??

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m with you on the flat key idea but not for the same reason. It’s either me or the design of the fob but I am forever setting off the panic alarm when I have the fob in my pocket or I’m juggling keys, mail, sunglasses, etc.

Okay, I’m pretty sure it’s me.

1618963318184.png
Oh the ol pocket dial eh! I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts. Partly because I’m hearing impaired and can’t hear it when I do set it off.

I solved that problem though. Picked up some silicone covers for my fobs. Since putting them on never happened again.

F305C2A9-EC35-4E65-B9BF-DB6D155FD083.jpeg

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
10-4 boss...I'll dial it back
I think the days of paper manuals are gone. I'm with you in that is what I prefer but no joy.

As for the questions, I, for one, don't mind questions from new owners even if they have been previously addressed. It is just better sometimes to do a search before posting.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
but why do the FOBs gotta be so big??
the bulge it leaves is twice the size of....oh never mind....
Is that a fob in your pocket or are you just glad to see us all? ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I run long distance...florida...95 degrees...98% humidity.
The intelligent access key is smaller than the one you're using. Not quite old school key small, but it's pretty tiny.

I'm as stubborn as they come but smart keys are probably the best tech feature available on new vehicles.

Even makes pocket carry more viable as your key can live out of the way beneath your pistol and never need to be retrieved.
but why do the FOBs gotta be so big??
the bulge it leaves is twice the size of....oh never mind....
You need to position it strategically in order to add to the bulge created by your other "assets."

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Al overcoming dampered tailgate to load his Big Lots anti-damperene 55 gal drum purchase

1619003981600.png
:crackup:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
yes, I do

I run long distance...florida...95 degrees...98% humidity.
don't want a phone or key fob in my pocket to sweat up.

10-4 boss...I'll dial it back

thanks, Steve
Do you have a keypad on the door? You can lock the fob in the truck, even with it running. No keypad? It can be added to your Ranger. They stick on the door and operate via Bluetooth.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that the flat key wont work because of the alarm system. The remote, controls that even if you have a non lariat. I am not sure if the alarm rearms it self if you manually lock doors. You try and report back. Dunkershane damit.

OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 jeep TJ wrangler, 2021 ford ranger FX4 sCrew
Occupation
retired
hello again...I have some researched information regarding my quest for a flat old-fashioned key.

But first, it's pretty cool that so many of you have added stuff to my first ranger topic. I get it that my questions are of questionable value, and maybe just stupid.

Today, I went to a local true-value hardware store up the street. It was convenient, and I've been in there many times. It's run well, and there's usually some older employees that have impressed me.

I didn't expect that they could make me a laser cut key, but they understood what I was trying to do. They use a mobile automotive key guy who comes to your location. Smart keys, chip keys, fobs...whatever you call yours...that's all he does. They hand out his card, and so I called him.

Now, I don't know nuthin'...but the key guy on the phone impressed me, he also understood what I wanted, and he was friendly. The bottom line is, I am in fact, SOL.

There's a lot more typing now, if you want to read.

There was no confusion with him on the phone. He knew about remote start and push button start options where you just keep your key fob in your pocket. I don't have that key. He knew about the fordpass app that I have on my phone. I have already taught myself how to lock/unlock and remote start my truck. I still need my key fob in the ignition if I want to drive my truck.

Even though my key is just a remote door lock, chirp key. It does have a chip in it. While on the phone, he had me wrap the fob part with kitchen aluminum foil. The key fob will not start the truck. A signal is blocked by the foil.

He was pretty much aware with ford keys, different ford model vehicles. He said...ford dealers have you over the barrel now. Independents like him, need software to build keys. Some vehicles, the software is made available to his profession within a short period of time. He does not yet get to have the ranger software, or the F-350. At best, if he had the ranger software, my dream of a slim key would still require a chip in it to start the truck. And he could make such a key, without the door lock buttons, and alarm/panic button.

He can make a door lock key, now, no problem. That would be a partial solution to my wish.

I asked him about the paper dog tag that comes on the new keys when the dealer hands them to you. They have a number code on them. I've never seen them in person, so I can't say more. I showed you earlier in this thread the page in the glove box book that describes them. I didn't get those paper dog tags from the dealer. He said that isn't unusual, and for his profession, he wouldn't need the number code. They might be useful in years to come, to make it easier for a ford dealer to duplicate my keys.

But he needs the ranger software from ford to program an aftermarket truck key.

Some of you guys are real smart. I am trying to tell you what I was told, but if I misunderstood something, or this fella didn't know everything...that's on me.

I'm gonna get a plain door key for my minimal key ring. I can lock my phone and ford provided key fob in the truck when I want to go lightweight. I'm no more paranoid about doing that, than I am about sugar in my gas tank. It's all about where you go, where you park the truck...and bad luck.

I was just asking some questions here. Thank you for involving yourself in the topics.

Steve
Sponsored