First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 jeep TJ wrangler, 2021 ford ranger FX4 sCrew
Occupation
retired
I just joined up and said hey on the introduction forum. Got some friendly replies.

This is gonna be pretty lame stuff, but I need to wade in and get some practice here.

I just got a 2021 XL FX4/STX crew cab. Read the paperback book over a couple nights. Put some floormats in it that were recommended by some on this forum. Really haven't had it long enough to discover much to talk about. And not at all disappointed about anything, so keep that in mind if I sound like I'm critical.

ranger fuel door 1.jpg

ranger fuel door 2.jpg

there's no effective way to open the fuel door except to get your fingernail under the lip. not difficult, but seems like an incomplete thought.

I don't have a release button in the cab. and there's no latch or spring to overcome when I open the flap. the indentation doesn't do anything. I tried pressing on it in several locations so see if I was stupid. there's no gas cap on the filler neck. that's supposed to be a good thing?

is this an XL model thing? the same on the lariats?

fuel tank seems vulnerable to vandalism...angry ex girlfriend...loser in the bowl game betting.

what was the engineering logic involved? thinking about adding a thin rubber flag/tab, with weatherstrip adhesive, on the back side of the flap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
there's almost no spring load to overcome. no fulcrum point on the flap to make pressing on it pop or release. I can open it fine, but not if I were wearing gloves.

OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
not worried about vandalism for any particular reason. just posting thoughts. My jeep came with a locking cap...and it comes exposed unless you add aftermarket cover.

it was just something to show, to get on the forum.

thanks for the replies, Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
here's another subject...

front diff expose 1.jpg

front alloy/aluminum differential pumpkin...two piece...bolt flange not shielded under any factory FX4 skid package plate.

not bellyaching...just wondered if it's been justified.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
there's almost no spring load to overcome. no fulcrum point on the flap to make pressing on it pop or release. I can open it fine, but not if I were wearing gloves.
If the spring has lost it's purpose, it should be a replaceable warranty item I would think, especially if you just bought it. I'd refer to dealer to start with, as others have described normal operation for the door to "pop" open.

OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
push harder with your manicured fingers. dont be shy
thank you sir...and everyone else.

I just tried it like you suggested. pushed it real hard...flexed the plastic...something popped hard. now it works with a mild press. maybe it needed breaking in.

honest injun....I dicked around with it the other day and figured I was missing something.

I gave you all the like button. mainly trying to pull ranger pride into 2nd place.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just joined up and said hey on the introduction forum. Got some friendly replies.

This is gonna be pretty lame stuff, but I need to wade in and get some practice here.

I just got a 2021 XL FX4/STX crew cab. Read the paperback book over a couple nights. Put some floormats in it that were recommended by some on this forum. Really haven't had it long enough to discover much to talk about. And not at all disappointed about anything, so keep that in mind if I sound like I'm critical.

ranger fuel door 1.jpg

ranger fuel door 2.jpg

there's no effective way to open the fuel door except to get your fingernail under the lip. not difficult, but seems like an incomplete thought.

I don't have a release button in the cab. and there's no latch or spring to overcome when I open the flap. the indentation doesn't do anything. I tried pressing on it in several locations so see if I was stupid. there's no gas cap on the filler neck. that's supposed to be a good thing?

is this an XL model thing? the same on the lariats?

fuel tank seems vulnerable to vandalism...angry ex girlfriend...loser in the bowl game betting.

what was the engineering logic involved? thinking about adding a thin rubber flag/tab, with weatherstrip adhesive, on the back side of the flap.
Hi Steve,

Gas door...push in and release...opens up every time for me. It is alleged the capless fuel device is angry ex girlfriend proof....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I've been used to this for a long time. Is there an aftermarket lockable cap for the filler neck?

jeep gas cap.jpg
I searched a while back for a similar option and came up empty.

However, just now google led me to this, though nothing on the page explicitly says it's compatible with the new Rangers.

EDIT: Did additional googling and it probably won't fit. See my post later in this thread.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi Steve,

Gas door...push in and release...opens up every time for me. It is alleged the capless fuel device is angry ex girlfriend proof....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Not unless she knows where your stash is if the factory supplied funnel. ? It’s the ones that don’t mind getting their hands dirty or chipping their polish! ?

OP
OP
daddy let me drive

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I searched a while back for a similar option and came up empty.

However, just now google led me to this, though nothing on the page explicitly says it's compatible with the new Rangers.

very cool...thanks. and thanks for not thinking I had knuckleheads stalking me.

it's not priced outrageous...I could get that instead of the tailgate thing.

does nevada scorpion have a coupon for this?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
very cool...thanks. and thanks for not thinking I had knuckleheads stalking me.

it's not priced outrageous...I could get that instead of the tailgate thing.
Welp, I did a little more googling, which led me right back to this forum, specifically this post, in which a member had one of those locks with the same part number and it did not fit his Ranger.
Sponsored