Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
Hello Everyone
This is my first post . First off I am super happy with my Ford ranger. My first truck ever was a ranger edge. Man has technology changed. Anyways this is my first vehicle with all the tech the tells u fuel mileage etc. however when I fill up with gas my miles to empty is around 350/365 depending if I force gas into the tank.
may question is at a quarter of tank my gas light comes on and the meter shows 50 miles to empty.Ok I’m no rocket scientist so if a quarter tank shows 50 miles remaining then the optimal tank would be 200. Right.
so why is the light coming on at a quarter tank with 50 miles remaining. However I did read int the owners manual that they don’t want u to get below a 1/4 tank . But to me tha math is still of.
I have read post on here about it but I’m still confused. Is there any new light on this or......
Sorry but I’m new to this thanks in advance
Sponsored

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
It will change based from your driving habits. Mine usually changes from between 400 to somewhere around 465. I don't know why, but I've always in every car I have had, had the best mpg in the first half tank.

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
It will change based from your driving habits. Mine usually changes from between 400 to somewhere around 465. I don't know why, but I've always in every car I have had, had the best mpg in the first half tank.
I baby my truck. It literally still new with only 1500 miles on it. I have not pressed the throttle down hard nor to I tow anything. So just curious how this makes sense.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Gas gauges aren't the most accurate things in the world. Maybe your only at about 1/8 tank instead of 1/4. The first 1/4-1/3 tank seems to last the longest, then the needle drops pretty hard after that.

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Gas gauges aren't the most accurate things in the world. Maybe your only at about 1/8 tank instead of 1/4. The first 1/4-1/3 tank seems to last the longest, then the needle drops pretty hard after that.
I understand but what gets me for. 45,000 truck u would think it be a little more accurate especially with all the technology and research we have now days.
my 05 f150 was spot on. Right before the red line the gas light would come on.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here’s mine for reference. Now this wasn’t always the case when I first bought my truck. My first couple fill ups the fuel light would come on at 50 miles and the needle was either on or one time in front of the 1/4 hash mark. As you can see I’m in the middle of empty and 1/4 now with 48 miles to go.

BDF77AF5-2BF0-4FF3-B988-6435A1D8BBFD.jpeg

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Here’s mine for reference. Now this wasn’t always the case when I first bought my truck. My first couple fill ups the fuel light would come on at 50 miles and the needle was either on or one time in front of the 1/4 hash mark. As you can see I’m in the middle of empty and 1/4 now with 48 miles to go.

BDF77AF5-2BF0-4FF3-B988-6435A1D8BBFD.jpeg
Ok I may still be in the break in deal as the truck may be learning me as I’m learning it.
thanks to everyone for all the replies. Great forum!

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
On another note what’s the max compacitiy miles to empty has anyone acquired?

Deleted member 1634

On another note what’s the max compacitiy miles to empty has anyone acquired?
The estimation after filling the tank? Or the most miles driven on a tank?

Estimation max: ~430
Driven max: 443 with 43 to empty

Could definitely get 500+ miles on a tank under the right circumstances.

OP
OP
Taykel

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed

Miles to empty. I’m only getting 360 when I fill up

Deleted member 1634

To be fair, I'm sitting at almost 27800 miles right now, having used about 95 tanks of fuel. So I've got a lot more data to work with. haha Both for the truck to learn better and for me to have more highs and lows to pick from. haha

I've had it say as low as ~220 miles to empty before. That's why I say it's more of a reference guideline than anything. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You should see better mpg once you get more miles on yours. I was getting around the same 360-380 and now that I have 9000 miles on mine I'm around 420. I will still see lower if I'm into the boost more. It's been said before that it's either Eco or Boost you can't have both.

This is going to depend on your driving habits and your route. If you're in to turbo a lot you'll obviously see less and also if you're in hilly areas. @geophb is correct that the first 1/3 of the tank seems to last the longest. Just give it a few thousand more miles and it should improve.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer

Matt, you regularly get 400 miles on a tank? How!? Man, I have to try to get 350 miles on the highway! I usually average about 22-23 hwy mpg, and when I do fill up, I usually put in about 16 gal or so. So that puts me in the mid 300s for highway range. I'm impressed that you hit 400 miles, you must be getting really good highway mpg.

Deleted member 1634

Matt, you regularly get 400 miles on a tank? How!? Man, I have to try to get 350 miles on the highway! I usually average about 22-23 hwy mpg, and when I do fill up, I usually put in about 16 gal or so. So that puts me in the mid 300s for highway range. I'm impressed that you hit 400 miles, you must be getting really good highway mpg.
I don't necessarily "regularly" get 400+ miles on a tank, but it's been known to happen quite a few times. In fact, I'm quite confident I could eek out 500+ if I really wanted and the conditions were right. I usually get about 350 on a tank of just work commuting.

In a clean profile on a nice non-winter day I usually get between 27-29mpg on the highway (60-65mph). But that doesn't happen too often, since in the spring/summer/fall we usually either have the camper or kayaks on a long trip, so that knocks it down. And in the winter I get hit with the cold temps and winter blend for a nice knockdown. The addition of the topper has added about 2mpg across the board in my experience as well.
Sponsored