First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
That looks like a lot of work to me. I have never had a boot crack like that.
Is this common for everyone else?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Unless Ford has changed the material they use for this boot: if you use the parking brake much in the winter, your boot most likely will crack and deteriorate. The vinyl is fine when temps are warm, but when it gets really cold, the vinyl becomes much less pliable and develops cracks.

Oh - and as for how much work it is: It'll take a total of 20 minutes of your time, minus waiting for glue to dry. It's really not hard at all, and is a far better option than taking it to a dealer to get a replacement under warranty - which will just do the same thing next winter.

There's a whole thread on the problem:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/parking-brake-boot-genuine-pleather.6570/

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It's actually a pretty easy job to do.

My factory boot cracked after about a year.

The warranty replacement was the same material so I did the Redline leather boot before the other one cracked.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
Totally understand what y’all are saying about the ease of doing the removal and lining up the new leather. Just hated the glue part! I would have it all over the place. Hands, new boot, old boot, and the truck. I wish you could buy the entire boot and bracket pre made and just slide one off and the new one on.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Totally understand what y’all are saying about the ease of doing the removal and lining up the new leather. Just hated the glue part! I would have it all over the place. Hands, new boot, old boot, and the truck. I wish you could buy the entire boot and bracket pre made and just slide one off and the new one on.
Yeah, the glue up is a little bit fiddly. I'm a bit of a jellyfingers as well, but managed to get it done without making a huge mess. Using the binder clips was definitely the way to go, as everything stayed nice and neat during the glue up, minimizing my tendency to get glue all over everything.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Unless Ford has changed the material they use for this boot: if you use the parking brake much in the winter, your boot most likely will crack and deteriorate. The vinyl is fine when temps are warm, but when it gets really cold, the vinyl becomes much less pliable and develops cracks.

Oh - and as for how much work it is: It'll take a total of 20 minutes of your time, minus waiting for glue to dry. It's really not hard at all, and is a far better option than taking it to a dealer to get a replacement under warranty - which will just do the same thing next winter.

There's a whole thread on the problem:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/parking-brake-boot-genuine-pleather.6570/
Indeed.
I do believe we've discussed this nice option before?
I ordered/installed mine, and it's great.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have had the replacement boot for a few months and now will change it out thanks to Kimball. Great video. I had mine replaced by Ford 8 months after I bought the truck. I am still waiting for my service guy to get back to me on replacing the replacement one but he has not heard back from the factory I guess. :frown: I will do this some time this week. Thanks,

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yesterday I figured out how to take off the shift boot as well, because RedLine Goods is really interested in getting a sample shift boot to use as a pattern. In my video above I mentioned that the shift boot appears to be made of better stuff than the parking brake boot... and I'm not sure it really ever needs to be replaced - other than just wanting a higher-quality material or change of color etc.

Before I live with no shift boot for however long it takes RedLine to receive my original boot, create a pattern, produce a new boot, and ship it to me... I wanted to ask: Is anyone interested in swapping out their shift boot as well? Mine is not breaking down or showing any signs of wear, but I'd be willing to sacrifice my factory boot if there is enough interest...

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Yesterday I figured out how to take off the shift boot as well, because RedLine Goods is really interested in getting a sample shift boot to use as a pattern. In my video above I mentioned that the shift boot appears to be made of better stuff than the parking brake boot... and I'm not sure it really ever needs to be replaced - other than just wanting a higher-quality material or change of color etc.

Before I live with no shift boot for however long it takes RedLine to receive my original boot, create a pattern, produce a new boot, and ship it to me... I wanted to ask: Is anyone interested in swapping out their shift boot as well? Mine is not breaking down or showing any signs of wear, but I'd be willing to sacrifice my factory boot if there is enough interest...
Hi Kimball. I'm sure I would buy it. Not sure what is going on in front of the steering wheel but would like to have the matching set between the seats. Here's mine with double stitching, blue thread in the middle with red thread on the outside. Robert

20220704_211735.jpg
Sponsored