First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Yep, I would order the shift boot too. Just don't know how to get the old one off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yep, I would order the shift boot too. Just don't know how to get the old one off.
It's not hard - similar to how you remove the boot for the parking brake....There is a plastic frame that clips it in at the bottom. Pop that out, turn the boot inside out (pull it up to cover the handle) and then there is a set screw on the the shift lever (hidden by the boot, usually) that you need to remove so you can pull the knob off and slide the boot off the shaft.

I have not disassembled the entire thing, but I did pull the shift boot up over the shift knob to locate the set screw yesterday. Didn't want to go any further until I decide if I'm willing to send them my original boot.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That looks like a lot of work to me. I have never had a boot crack like that.
Is this common for everyone else?
Mine did, then the replacement did. Currently waiting for another replacement. I'll probably go with a 3rd party, but I intend for Ford to get a full picture of how shitty their part is first.

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
ive rarely used my parking brake in my rides over the years, but i might order this anyways just cuz i like the idea of the upgrade from vinyl to leather. and the install looks simple enough that even a guy like myself who generally sucks at diy stuff could pull it off. thanks for the video. not sure i would have taken the install on with just the instructions on the RLG site

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
ive rarely used my parking brake in my rides over the years, but i might order this anyways just cuz i like the idea of the upgrade from vinyl to leather. and the install looks simple enough that even a guy like myself who generally sucks at diy stuff could pull it off. thanks for the video. not sure i would have taken the install on with just the instructions on the RLG site
Its really a simple job.

HeatXfer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired Pipefitter & commercial HVACR Tech
I bought one, they're pricey @ $50 but they are very nice. the stitching matches the oem trim perfectly and they've got something like 40 colors/finishes to choose from. Mine was cracking at the end of my third year of ownership. Install was super easy, I used the above video as a guide. Just be careful not to break off the plastic clips on the base.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It's not hard - similar to how you remove the boot for the parking brake....There is a plastic frame that clips it in at the bottom. Pop that out, turn the boot inside out (pull it up to cover the handle) and then there is a set screw on the the shift lever (hidden by the boot, usually) that you need to remove so you can pull the knob off and slide the boot off the shaft.

I have not disassembled the entire thing, but I did pull the shift boot up over the shift knob to locate the set screw yesterday. Didn't want to go any further until I decide if I'm willing to send them my original boot.
I bookmarked this post for when I swap mine.
Sponsored