Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Put it in NEUTRAL if it is a conveyor car wash, the kind that pulls your vehicle through the stationary wash equipment.
Oh yes definitely....I'm also referring to touch-less only to avoid getting my lights caught up...
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Some of my early memories are of going with my dad to the automatic car wash. Building is still there the last time I checked-it’s been converted to a floral shop/party store.?
My first job was at a conveyor car wash. The conveyor would pull the vehicles through and deposit a soapy mix while four to six of us would hand wash the cars with mitts on each hand. There were long stainless tubs with warm soapy water running through them on each side, and we would have a zone assigned to us. We were to dip in and get a fresh load of soapy water, twice for each car, shuffling sidestep to keep up. A lot of bending and stretching in a four hour shift! the mitts would be totally trash at the end of a 12-14 hour day, as swabbing over rusted through body panels chewed them up. Worked there for around five months: 97 cents an hour.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My first job was at a conveyor car wash. The conveyor would pull the vehicles through and deposit a soapy mix while four to six of us would hand wash the cars with mitts on each hand. There were long stainless tubs with warm soapy water running through them on each side, and we would have a zone assigned to us. We were to dip in and get a fresh load of soapy water, twice for each car, shuffling sidestep to keep up. A lot of bending and stretching in a four hour shift! the mitts would be totally trash at the end of a 12-14 hour day, as swabbing over rusted through body panels chewed them up. Worked there for around five months: 97 cents an hour.
Those were the days! This Australian woman said it best…

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
Just bought some new car wash supplies. I enjoy washing my own vehicles but learned once a month is usually sufficient.

I live in “the woods” and everyday there are leaves, pine straw, bugs, branches, etc covering the vehicles…best I can do is maintain as best as possible.

I can live with some scratches if it meant my truck runs like a champ!

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
I have no idea how they make enough money to stay alive but they sure do.
They are able to offer this because of the sheer volume of people who like the convenience and price, but don’t actually go every day. They probably go an average of one to two times a week.

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
Anyone wash your Ranger (or other car) with only a foam gun then rinse, and not even scrubbing it?

I tried a similar approach for my last car and it worked decent IMO. However, I did scrub with a mit and hosed off the mitt occasionally.

I saw a video of someone washing a car in the rain and I thought…”if I use my foam gun and liberally soap it up and let the rain rinse it off, in theory it should be a pretty quick wash.

I wouldn’t do this all the time, but what are your thoughts on doing this if your shirt on time?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Anyone wash your Ranger (or other car) with only a foam gun then rinse, and not even scrubbing it?

I tried a similar approach for my last car and it worked decent IMO. However, I did scrub with a mit and hosed off the mitt occasionally.

I saw a video of someone washing a car in the rain and I thought…”if I use my foam gun and liberally soap it up and let the rain rinse it off, in theory it should be a pretty quick wash.

I wouldn’t do this all the time, but what are your thoughts on doing this if your shirt on time?
Rainwater is naturally soft, so water spotting would be minimal on a clean surface.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Rainwater is naturally soft, so water spotting would be minimal on a clean surface.
I have well water and if I used it for washing, I'd have to make sure it's fully dried with towels...other times, I take advantage of heavy rain (like Ian), put on a rain coat and soap away...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I'll just foam it and rinse if it's only dusty (we have a ton of dust in the air here) like a quick weekly touch up wash. Just let the foam sit for 5-8 minutes and it'll drop all the loose dust/dirt down and rinse and dry.

lol I just washed mine for the first time in a light rain a couple weeks ago. We get very little rain here and I wanted to wash it before going away and of course it was raining on/off all day. :facepalm: I have a water softener with a spigot in my garage which I hook my power washer to because we have super hard water here. I would still rinse it off but I guess if it was a good downpour it should get all the soap off. After rinsing it off I just put it back in the garage and dried it and hit it with a coat of Graphene detailer.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you folks are making this truck washing thing look more like a job. Some of us retired guys ain't looking for no job. So a little dust and a nice drive in the rain and she's clean. :LOL: If she ain't real dirty I don't worry much about it. If I have clean windows I'm good to go. Hate dirty windows.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Some of you folks are making this truck washing thing look more like a job. Some of us retired guys ain't looking for no job. So a little dust and a nice drive in the rain and she's clean. :LOL: If she ain't real dirty I don't worry much about it. If I have clean windows I'm good to go. Hate dirty windows.
Funny…I feel think the same way!? As long as I can see out the windows…

maxarcher

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot

I've done this for years when the car just needs a quick touch up. I use a cheap Ryobi pressure washer with a stubby "gun" and a Chemical Guys foam gun, and as long as the car isn't entirely filthy it gets it presentably clean. I still dry by hand but you could combine the soap and spray method with one of those air dryer things (glorified leaf blower, basically) and make it a super easy job.

When I do want to go further I avoid mitts or sponges and instead put half a dozen or so microfiber towels (the yellow Costco ones are fine) in a bucket with soapy water and switch out towels whenever they start to get noticeably dirty or get any kind of crud in them that could scratch the paint.