MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
After washing the truck myself ever since I bought it new in 2019, I decided to take it to a carwash nearby for "the works." I did not want to just take the stock antenna off because water or soap might enter the electronics, but I was worried about it being yanked around of even off by the brushes. I bought a stubby and switched it in for the carwash only, putting the stock back on afterward. I will probably do this going forward, as the stock has never bumped ceiling of any of the places like underground parking and so on that we use but might cause problems at the carwash. Nothing against the stubby, seems to work fine, but I just like the stock look....

Reactions: Doc

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Anyone have any issues using a car wash with the roof antenna?
I have a more modern brushless but multiple pad car wash.
I also wonder why the fin doesn't work as well as other fin type antennas on many other vehicles.
I would advise against going through any car wash with the antenna attached. This very issue is the reason the Ranger I have now is not the truck I initially purchased at the dealer. the dealer has a carwash on site but the service guys are not supposed to run the trucks through it. I was literally signing final docs and the sales guy comes in saying that the service person cleaning the truck ran it through the carwash and the antenna was ripped out of the roof damaging the roof, paint, and wiring. Needless to say that service guy was "taken care of" and I went from an XLT to a Lariat out of the ordeal. Carwashes are very abrasive on the paint and should be avoided anyway.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I regularly use a wash in my area called Briteworx. It is definitely not a touch less wash. It does such a good job I purchased a monthly subscription. I will say though that I wince a little everytime I go through because I wonder what long term use is doing to my paint job and I worry about my antenna too. So far though I've had zero issues and I always park at their free vacuum stalls and dry thoroughly with a microfiber drying towel from Chemical Guys. It always looks perfect. I probably run through at least twice a week but I also like to hand wash (is there any better way??) and now that the weather is getting nicer I'll probably pause my subscription. But this car wash uses microfiber brushes and I have yet to see any streaks or swirls or any issues with the paint. In a perfect world I would just hand wash all the time but that's like a two hour process when my OCD kicks in plus I'm trying to quit drinking so much beer...so maybe every two weeks I do a super crazy wash and detail. I've never been more obsessed about any vehicle I've ever owned. This truck is the most exciting vehicle I've ever owned though, she's a pavement princess, my daily driver (I'm in sales and make a lot of calls everyday) and I'm obsessed with keeping it looking new.
Good luck with the washing.

Reactions: Doc

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Hi Folks,

Part of any vehicle proveout includes a Car Wash test. The long antenna is installed on both 4x2 and 4x4 vehicles and run through a number of Car Washes around the Detroit area. It has to pass the test without damage. I have no concern to take my Ranger to our local Car Wash, Octopus Car Wash which is a brush type. This testing is a great way to break in a new engineer....running around Detroit and running through car washes. Did we find problems?...yep...one older car wash in the bowls of Detroit tore the exhaust system off a Ranger... We had to raise a rear hanger about half an inch. Old days of the fender mounted antenna were a real challenge. So I have no fear to take the OEM antenna through a brush car wash. My 2019 did fine in Flagstaff last year when we towed it behind our RV to seek cooler temps.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Thank you so much for participating in this forum. It's nice to hear from an expert and an engineer (see what I did there?)
I'm sure you are aware how obsessed we are with our Rangers. I think they are amazing trucks and I smile everytime I even just LOOK at mine.
Hats off to you, please keep participating, your knowledge and input is super helpful. And you seem like a nice guy too!
Thank you!
Sponsored