Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is a Lariat FX4 off road pkg with 18 inch tires, when I test drove it I took it straight home to make sure it would clear my garage door opening. I could get in but when I would've backed out I would've ripped the antenna and mount off so I bought a super stubby antenna and problem solved. I opted for a 2 inch I believe. Still receives great except one channel that distant. I'm thinking about a leveling kit once done I will measure for a bit bigger stubby antenna. My garage door is an odd height it is standard 2 car width just a few inches short of 7 feet.

Anyone have any issues using a car wash with the roof antenna?
I have a more modern brushless but multiple pad car wash.
I also wonder why the fin doesn't work as well as other fin type antennas on many other vehicles.
Sponsored

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
straight up My ranger has been washed at least twice a week for 6 months. Most had brushes, few didn't. No issue with leaving the antenna where it was so far.

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I’ve gone through brush car washes with and without the antenna on With no problems, but will probably remove it next time. I have also seen other new Rangers use the car wash with the antenna in place.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Auto car wash?????
Oh my!

ryday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Hadn't had any issues with the antenna getting knocked but I still switched over to the stubby.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Part of any vehicle proveout includes a Car Wash test. The long antenna is installed on both 4x2 and 4x4 vehicles and run through a number of Car Washes around the Detroit area. It has to pass the test without damage. I have no concern to take my Ranger to our local Car Wash, Octopus Car Wash which is a brush type. This testing is a great way to break in a new engineer....running around Detroit and running through car washes. Did we find problems?...yep...one older car wash in the bowls of Detroit tore the exhaust system off a Ranger... We had to raise a rear hanger about half an inch. Old days of the fender mounted antenna were a real challenge. So I have no fear to take the OEM antenna through a brush car wash. My 2019 did fine in Flagstaff last year when we towed it behind our RV to seek cooler temps.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
When I got my truck I did not notice that the OEM antenna was not attached. About 2 months later I saw it was missing and figured someone must have wanted it more than I did so I bought this little guy to replace it. It's only 2" tall and is just barely taller than the fin. I have taken it through the wash multiple times with no issues and the reception is perfect with it. Honestly it looks much better up there than the stock one anyway.

On a side note, on Saturday I was looking at how the glove box was setup to see if I could add a small lock box for a pistol safe in there. In the process of pulling out the PPE stuff my wife stashed in there to my surprise sitting in the bottom was the stock antennae...

DOH-Homer.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When I got my truck I did not notice that the OEM antenna was not attached. About 2 months later I saw it was missing and figured someone must have wanted it more than I did so I bought this little guy to replace it. It's only 2" tall and is just barely taller than the fin. I have taken it through the wash multiple times with no issues and the reception is perfect with it. Honestly it looks much better up there than the stock one anyway.

On a side note, on Saturday I was looking at how the glove box was setup to see if I could add a small lock box for a pistol safe in there. In the process of pulling out the PPE stuff my wife stashed in there to my surprise sitting in the bottom was the stock antennae...

DOH-Homer.jpg
Hi Bret,

Another fine dealership predilivery mistake!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Well now.
Because I read this thread I went out to look at my antenna.
It was gone.
Stubby ordered.
Thanks guys!

Martyd

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL,2018 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
retired
I would remove the antenna if I ever go to a car wash, just in case. I appreciate the extra length because I have a couple of college radio station favorites. Their transmitters are not the most powerful and they do not have prime locations. The antenna helps reception and I am not crazy about the shark fin on my SUV for FM stations.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I don't use brush carwashes. I lost an antenna once on another car, and I also use to get nasty swirl marks on that same car. I'm sure new paint is much better, and I trust others here who say not to worry about it.

As for the dealers, I specially asked 2 different ones about why the new trucks didn't have the antenna any more. Neither of them knew, and it was likely sitting in the glove box all along.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc