Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
took it in the first time and they lubed the splines and went away for a while but is back now. i have an appointment for an oil change and this clunk tomorrow. will report back with update.
Sponsored

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
took it in the first time and they lubed the splines and went away for a while but is back now. i have an appointment for an oil change and this clunk tomorrow. will report back with update.
Mine is currently at the dealer trying to figure this out. They have had it 3 days now.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is currently at the dealer trying to figure this out. They have had it 3 days now.
Just dropped mine off and they said it could be days, I also am getting an oil change and asked them to check out my rough shift from 3-5. I know there's a TSB for this but last time I suggested it they looked at me like a know it all and refused to do it. This time I'm just going to give them the problem and they can come up with the solution. My service rep is a dick

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Dealer still investigating mine. They think it could be with the clutches or torque converter now. Ugh... Said it is going to be awhile.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer still investigating mine. They think it could be with the clutches or torque converter now. Ugh... Said it is going to be awhile.
I was afraid of it being the torque. My only other ride right now is a 1984 honda aero 50.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Update on mine.. After 28 days in the shop, the replaced 3 u-joints. Drove it home and it seems like it fixed it. Not feeling the thump at stop anymore. Why the first tech couldn't figure that out, I will never know. Will be putting over 500 miles this weekend on it so that will be a good test to see if it is fixed or not. If it returns, I will be starting buy back procedures. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

I will say that as much as I bitch about this truck and its problems, I would much rather have it than the Escape the dealer loaned me for the past 2 weeks. Not a fan of that car at all...

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Update on mine.. After 28 days in the shop, the replaced 3 u-joints. Drove it home and it seems like it fixed it. Not feeling the thump at stop anymore. Why the first tech couldn't figure that out, I will never know. Will be putting over 500 miles this weekend on it so that will be a good test to see if it is fixed or not. If it returns, I will be starting buy back procedures. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

I will say that as much as I bitch about this truck and its problems, I would much rather have it than the Escape the dealer loaned me for the past 2 weeks. Not a fan of that car at all...
Well I take that back. The bump is back. Back to the dealer it goes. Dont know what to do now.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Dropped it back off at the dealer today. Shop foreman did a ride along with me today and confirmed issue is still present. I suspect they will replace the driveshaft next.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Told by dealer today that the issue is deemed a "Normal Characteristic or the truck and no fix is required."

Off to litigation I go... Took them 4 fix attempts and 36 days to determine that....hmmm. Cant fix it, so lets just say its not a problem...Thanks Ford.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I'm having the same issue on a 2021 4x4 XLT. On cold start, pretty heavy clunk going from P to R and when backing out of my garage, if I brake and come to a complete stop during the reverse out of garage maneuver, the truck does the clunk when stationary about a second after coming to a complete stop.

It also does the same clunk when traveling at very low speed (~5mph) at partial throttle or coming on/off throttle.

It also does it when coming to a stop in D. It's odd because it often does it when moving but it does it about 50% of the time a second or so after coming to a complete stop in R or D.

Pretty annoying. The truck only has 300 miles on it so hopefully it goes away but if not.. I can live with it as long as the truck gets to 200,000 miles which should be NO problem in a well-maintained vehicle.

I don't plan on taking it back to the dealer right away so if anything transpires between now and then, I'll update my post.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I'm having the same issue on a 2021 4x4 XLT. On cold start, pretty heavy clunk going from P to R and when backing out of my garage, if I brake and come to a complete stop during the reverse out of garage maneuver, the truck does the clunk when stationary about a second after coming to a complete stop.

It also does the same clunk when traveling at very low speed (~5mph) at partial throttle or coming on/off throttle.

It also does it when coming to a stop in D. It's odd because it often does it when moving but it does it about 50% of the time a second or so after coming to a complete stop in R or D.

Pretty annoying. The truck only has 300 miles on it so hopefully it goes away but if not.. I can live with it as long as the truck gets to 200,000 miles which should be NO problem in a well-maintained vehicle.

I don't plan on taking it back to the dealer right away so if anything transpires between now and then, I'll update my post.
I would take it back now. Get it documented. If you have to lemon law it that first instance of the complaint with the mileage will be very important. I was hoping to keep mine for 200k as well but I can no longer trust it. Zero confidence of it lasting that long. I am pursuing lemon law and if that fails for some reason, I will trade it. Lost my love for this truck with all the issues.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

My 2021 does this too. My 2019 didn't do it at first, but did over time. It's the nature of the drivetrain in my opinion.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Does anyone else have the locking diff option as well? Maybe that has something to do with it.

CO2Ranger, how many miles on your 2021?

Hell, I may as well do my due diligence and contact my service dept. and see what they say. Doubt they'll fix anything but at least it will be documented as Cory mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me if a TSB came out as I've never experienced this much clunking in any vehicle. As mentioned, I'll update my post if any solutions come to fruition. Thanks guys.

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Mine has the locking diff. Never used it though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

For those of you that have this condition, please file a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care. Enough complaints may force an engineering investigation.
Sponsored