First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
After 10k miles this season I can comfortably say that marketing is playing a crude joke on engineering. The 2 is for the percentage of bugs actually deflected, not a revision number.
I've never seen one that works.

And even if it does, so what if your windshield is clean if the rest of the front isn't? The windshield is the one place I have the ability to clean, somewhat, while driving down the road.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I installed mine mostly to save the front edge of my hood from rock chips. Does it also help deflect bugs? Hard to say without any actual controlled testing. I just finished a 2000 mile road trip, and there were plenty of bugs on the windshield... but NO rock chips on the front of my hood.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I've never seen one that works.

And even if it does, so what if your windshield is clean if the rest of the front isn't? The windshield is the one place I have the ability to clean, somewhat, while driving down the road.
I think the bugs in Idaho and Montana are built different. They seem to turn to cement once they hit the windshield. I kept an extra rag and jug of water in the bed of the truck just to scrub them off every once in awhile, otherwise relying on the wipers alone, just creates a smeary mess which at night is horrible to drive with.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I think the bugs in Idaho and Montana are built different. They seem to turn to cement once they hit the windshield. I kept an extra rag and jug of water in the bed of the truck just to scrub them off every once in awhile, otherwise relying on the wipers alone, just creates a smeary mess which at night is horrible to drive with.
They sure were horrible on my recent trip and back to Leavenworth WA.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Weird.

Around here they keep at least 2 or 3 of these at even the smallest of gas stations. Always worked well for me.

images (1).jpeg

:wink:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
You should have titled the post "Bug deflector 2, Electric BUG-aloo"

But yeah, I have never seen those work since we went to more streamlined deflectors and away from these:
bug def.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Weird.

Around here they keep at least 2 or 3 of these at even the smallest of gas stations. Always worked well for me.

images (1).jpeg

:wink:
Those things will scratch the crap out of your windshield. You ever see how dirty that water is? Hasn’t been changed in months.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Weird.

images (1).jpeg
In my neighbourhood, they stopped putting these out at the pump islands. The homeless squeegee guys steal them. :facepalm:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I’ve had bug deflectors on every truck I’ve owned since 1999 and have yet to see one that actually deflects bugs. I look at them more as a stone chip protector for the hood.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had bug deflectors on every truck I’ve owned since 1999 and have yet to see one that actually deflects bugs. I look at them more as a stone chip protector for the hood.
I had one on my '99 B-3000.. but none on my '11 Tacoma. Did it work.. I don't think so.. as for rock chips, I don't see it. I didn't end up with strike marks on the deflector on the '99, and nothing on the hood of the '11. Where are the bug deflectors for the bumper, lights, and grille? Seems odd there are no write-ups on the stone chip issues for the whole rest of the front of the trucks. I think that's just on 'old mans tale'. I think they can look good, so each their own.

Frank

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
They deflect bugs. Away from the PAINT. Glass can be cleaned. Bugs on the paint makes permanent marks, at least some do. They have these hordes of soft-bodied black bugs they call "love bugs" down here, especially in Central Florida. As for why the name, read about them here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

When they are in season, they can literally make it impossible to see through the windshield in about 10 minutes of driving. They are very soft and "juicy" so even hitting them at 30 mph squishes them and smears a blob of yellow guts on whatever they hit. There are some sort of acids or enzymes in their little bodies that begin etching paint within an hour or so. If you don't clean them off before they dry, they literally make pits and gouges in your paint. Bug deflectors are made of plastic, so they are immune to the acid.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I had the avs 2 because I already have chips on the front of the hood. Took it off because it wouldn't allow the hood to close all the way. Even tried adjusting the latch and it still looked like hell. Bad enough the wife noticed it.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Installed Bugflector-2 last week, adds a little flare to the Cactus Gray, jury's still out on whether it actually deflects bugs off windshield. I did Graphene the glass the same day and have noticed the passenger side wiper will leave a smear mark on glass (at its sweep stop point) so I have wiped it down a few times, I have only had light rain (sprinkles) so don't know how it compares to rain-x yet. I hope a good rain will stop the smear mark, might just get hose out and give it a quick rinse off.
I will say as far as bugs go, before I installed the deflector, I had quite a bit on the glass but since install I don't have any (yet) anyways
Sponsored