OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I could very well be wrong, but I don't think this is the case. I used the Motorcraft synthetic blend in my first oil change, and sent samples from both the first (factory oil) and the second (off-the-shelf motorcraft) oil changes to Blackstone for UOAs. There were multiple differences, and while most of them were minor enough to be attributed to analytical variability or washout of gunk from the newly manufactured engine, there was only 13 ppm moly in the used factory oil, but 97 ppm in used Motorcraft synthetic blend. I haven't noticed whether the UOAs that other people have posted show a similar difference.
At what mileages did you do the 1st and 2nd oil changes? What is the acceptable or normal range for the ppm level according to Blackstone?
Thanks.
Sponsored

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
i must be an idiot (for the record seconded by the mrs, but i took mine in when the computer said i should, for me at like 5500 miles in one year, and they said my choice of synthetic was fine. I do like my dealer, they have gone above and beyond with everything so far

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This information was interesting and I went to the Blackstone site to learn how to interpret the results and nothing yet, but will keep searching. I left a message for them to call me in the meantime. Am considering getting my oil changed right away and have it tested.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s mine. I have a little fuel but I’m not worried about it unless it gets high and stays there. The metals amount on a new engine is within normal. I’m at the point mileage wise now where I can wind it up a few times to max and get rings set and should be good to go with the next analysis check.

DDC9ADBB-E819-42EF-9C39-E48B77DDCCF5.jpeg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
You would be crazy if you didn’t change it. Just the fact that your asking means you are concerned, if you change it you will feel so much better AND all the metal shavings that you remove will do no harm to your engine. Change it and feel great about your truck. It certainly won’t hurt!

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
That’s mine. I have a little fuel but I’m not worried about it unless it gets high and stays there. The metals amount on a new engine is within normal. I’m at the point mileage wise now where I can wind it up a few times to max and get rings set and should be good to go with the next analysis check.

DDC9ADBB-E819-42EF-9C39-E48B77DDCCF5.jpeg
What is bringing your viscosity from 5w30 to 0w20???

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
What is bringing your viscosity from 5w30 to 0w20???
Fuel dilution. If it reports back the same again will use 5W40 change after. My suspicion is there is always going to be some blow by fuel in these engines. To a degree that vents off in crankcase from sloshing and heat to get pulled into intake. I’m going to add a catch can so I feel better about it ?

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Fuel dilution. If it reports back the same again will use 5W40 change after. My suspicion is there is always going to be some blow by fuel in these engines. To a degree that vents off in crankcase from sloshing and heat to get pulled into intake. I’m going to add a catch can so I feel better about it ?
I bought some Castrol 5w-40. Think I might just use it anyway on the first oil change (or 3 qts 5w30 and 3 qts of 5w-40)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
break-in oil was a thing when oil was crappier and filters were crappier. it's a waste of time in the 21st century.

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
wouldnt they be in the filter getting a nice warm snuggly hug from the filter elements?
Nope! drain your oil and take the pan out into the sunlight. The first oil change is the worst, it will look like metal flake paint with all the tiny partials of metal in there. If I can see that with my eye it can’t be good. Even if it is acceptable, I would feel better changing it. I always do a new car before 1000 miles and if nothing else for $30 I feel better

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All, new, happy owner of a 2021 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab. I picked it up in Boise last Saturday and drove back to Seattle - the truck has about 700 miles on it. I'm leaving next week for New York for a couple of months - driving the Ranger there and back. Was thinking I should do a 'break in' oil change before I leave (probably will have 800 miles only). That way, when I'm back in August the truck will have about 8000 miles on it (mostly highway) and ready for oil change two. What do you folks think about changing prior to my leaving at a fairly low mileage?
Keep your money. This is not 1953.
Change every 5-7k and dont worry about it.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
At what mileages did you do the 1st and 2nd oil changes? What is the acceptable or normal range for the ppm level according to Blackstone?
Thanks.
First change was at 2000 miles, second was at 7000 miles. I haven't seen anywhere that Blackstone has a limit for moly. The levels can be quite variable as it is frequently used in oil additives in varying amounts.
The moly is part of light grease used in assembly. They takes awhile to work through and become suspended in the oil. The moly is important for breaking in though. Longer it stays in there the better.

Although I didn’t see it in my analysis it doesn’t mean it’s not present. I have my suspicions about PTFE being in there too. Has the same benefits as moly and is introduced the same way.
I would have thought the assembly grease would have been well on its way to working itself out in the first 2k miles. However, Google led me to a post on another forum where somebody had sent in some virgin Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30, and the report showed moly in the mid-teens, which definitely supports your suggestion.
Sponsored