First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My brakes appear warped at 22k. Truly disappointed with this on the Ranger.

That being said, I haven't purchased a ford vehicle in the last 10 years (and I've bought a lot) that didn't need new rotors before 25k. Our Edge ate them up. Explorer too. Focus and Fiesta. They all are trash. I consider them an item that gets replaced now with every oil change. And none of them ever had bad pad wear or even past 25% usage of the pads. All highway miles.
Sounds like you need to learn how to brake. From what you are showing in your story is a flat learning curve for breaking. Remember that the brake pedal is not an ON/OFF switch
Sponsored

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
I have 46k miles on my 2019 and haven’t had any problems with warped rotors. Inspected my pads at my last oil change and the pads still have a ton of life left. They have help up well to a lot of off road mountain passes in Colorado. No complaints about the Ford brakes here.

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Sounds like you need to learn how to brake. From what you are showing in your story is a flat learning curve for breaking. Remember that the brake pedal is not an ON/OFF switch
Yeah. Nice try adding snarky nonsense to the conversation. Funny, hasn't happened on my three audi's, my GM cars, couple chryslers, jeeps or even my Ducati. Really, knowing nothing about the facts, you conclude that it's user error? I also didn't add, but I will now, that replacing tem myself with non oem quality rotors, breaking them in properly and never turning them seems to ALWAYS cure the problem long term. If I were to assume like you have, I might conclude that a breakin procedure was either never performed initially, or the cars were driven like crap on test drives when they were on the lot new. But I don't have that detail so I won't assume. I can only base my comments on hundreds of brake changes over my lifetime on many, many types of cars. And some of these cars were pushed pretty hard on the track not just the roads.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah. Nice try adding snarky nonsense to the conversation. Funny, hasn't happened on my three audi's, my GM cars, couple chryslers, jeeps or even my Ducati. Really, knowing nothing about the facts, you conclude that it's user error? I also didn't add, but I will now, that replacing tem myself with non oem quality rotors, breaking them in properly and never turning them seems to ALWAYS cure the problem long term. If I were to assume like you have, I might conclude that a breakin procedure was either never performed initially, or the cars were driven like crap on test drives when they were on the lot new. But I don't have that detail so I won't assume. I can only base my comments on hundreds of brake changes over my lifetime on many, many types of cars. And some of these cars were pushed pretty hard on the track not just the roads.
During the time I had my ranger from new I put just over 54K on it and never warped the brakes. On my 2016 Frontier that had over 75K I never warped the brakes. On my 83 280ZX I never warped the rotors, on my 1993 Pathfinder I have not warped the rotors. On my last work van I put over 40K on it while overloading the vehicle multiple times and never warped the rotors. Its not the vehicle, its the driver.

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
During the time I had my ranger from new I put just over 54K on it and never warped the brakes. On my 2016 Frontier that had over 75K I never warped the brakes. On my 83 280ZX I never warped the rotors, on my 1993 Pathfinder I have not warped the rotors. On my last work van I put over 40K on it while overloading the vehicle multiple times and never warped the rotors. Its not the vehicle, its the driver.
Yeah. Ha. Ill just let this stand where it is because clearly based on the empirical data you've presented, you are a much better driver than I... Ill let others judge for themselves when their rotors go to shit quicker than they believe they should, which IS happening, whether it was their driving skill or something else. Just please don't try to convince me its because I use 87 octane that my rotors are warped..... ;)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah. Ha. Ill just let this stand where it is because clearly based on the empirical data you've presented, you are a much better driver than I... Ill let others judge for themselves when their rotors go to shit quicker than they believe they should, which IS happening, whether it was their driving skill or something else. Just please don't try to convince me its because I use 87 octane that my rotors are warped..... ;)
Think what you wish, just remember that you are the cause for warping rotors that early.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I've never warped rotor and I drive like an asshole a good bit. Not sure how I haven't if being hard on them is what warps them.

My Genesis coupe was a very grab it by the scruff of the neck and yank it around vs. the very finger tippy way my 280z wanted to be handled. You would think I would have super screwed the Genesis rotors that I used like and on and off switch at times. Brakes ON, OFF - power to the next turn and back to switch ON, etc.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Ford Falcons over here used to be notorious for this, so much so that dealers sometimes even recommended aftermarket disks! I remember one (Falcon) pool car from work I used one day and took back saying it was almost undriveable, and the guy from the office said "not again" we only just got it back from having it fixed last time. Still they were pool cars , driven by everybody, I imagine they were mostly driven like they were stolen. I've not experienced it with the Ranger.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
03 f350 170k on factory rotors and pads no issues. 08 f150 2 sets of factory rotors and pads got it to 260k zero issues. All bed them in and used a skuff pad on them when they looked rough. Don't forget to grease slide pins every other oil change.

PhilG

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I had 2 sets of warped rotors on a 2011 chevy. It turned out to be the brake cylinders. They were sticking, thus overheating the rotors and warping them. Once I replaced the cylinders, the problem went away.

Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
I had a brake pulsation due to using the parking brake. The inside of the rear rotors had build up of brake pad. I replaced all the rotors with raybestos rotors and power stop carbon ceramic pads. This happened in less than 10,000 miles. Doing this and adjusting the booster push rod also fixed the weird pedal feel it had since new.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Almost 49k miles on my 2020 Ranger and it brakes fine. Why would the dealer turn them? Its cheaper to replace with new rotors...oh, never mind

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Coast more, brake less, loaded or empty. My 2009 Mariner has 130,000 miles on the original rotors, never been turned down, and stop as smooth and straight as new. Same with the '21 Ranger at 25K.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sigh....This has come up so often....Usually a left foot braker that rests their foot on the brake pedal... Not much you can do with this "learned" behavior...

best,
Phil

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Sigh....This has come up so often....Usually a left foot braker that rests their foot on the brake pedal... Not much you can do with this "learned" behavior...

best,
Phil
People brake with their left foot? Who taught them how to drive? JHFC, people aren't that dumb, are they?
Sponsored