Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
BRAKES: Proper operation and spelling. When you lose power brakes or brake fluid the brakes will feel different, but will still work. The pedal will go down farther or feel harder. Push harder or further. :facepalm:
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
BRAKES: Proper operation and spelling. When you lose power brakes or brake fluid the brakes will feel different, but will still work. The pedal will go down farther or feel harder. Push harder or further. :facepalm:
Not sure how you expect a hydraulic system to function without the fluid and pressure that moves the piston... Without fluid and pressure you have no brakes outside the cable-operated parking brake.

Edit: hydraulic

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Come on Thom... it's an internet forum... not English class, and it's Saturday. :clap:

Fixed!!!!

Front brake hose was rubbing against mag.
We now know it takes 3000 miles to go through the front brake hose.
Wheels were never off.
No idea how it happened?
I'll go with damaged in transport.
New hose will come in next week, will have a loner, Escape.

My question is, we pay for them to do prep work before delivery to us, right, so they should have caught this.

So, what does the forum say?
1 - Cause?
2 - Delership responsibility?
Unless the dealership put every new vehicle on a lift and did a safety inspection, there is no way they could have found the issue. Is that realistic? I'd say no.

And even then, with it on a lift, with the suspension hanging down, would the hose still rub on the wheel, probably not.

Would a loose brake hose be obvious? Maybe, but since the dealership tech typically can't even lower the tire pressure to the placard specification, expecting them to detect factory oversites is a pretty tall order.

I put our new Ranger up on our lift when I got it home and tried to look at everything, and I always look at brake hoses when I rotate our tires. I'm betting I never would have noticed a loose brake hose until I rotated tires, at 4,000 miles. Which would have been 1,000 miles to late.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Oh, that is right, everybody hung over and not checking any breaks. LOL
I just meant most folks are tired of hearing their boss harp on them all week about stuff... and they don't want a spelling lesson once they log on to their favorite forum.

Typo.jpg

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
are we sure we dont have an indication?? the spread of false information is an embarrassment

1618669679319.png

1618669769197.png
Thanks. I stand corrected! I should know better. Research, Research, Research.

Ebrake worked fine.
No level sensor.
So @CB750F since you stated "No Level Sensor" you might want to have them check that at the dealership while it's there.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
are we sure we dont have an indication?? the spread of false information is an embarrassment

1618669679319.png

1618669769197.png
But how do you know this is accurate? Our owners manual suggests we have a cigar lighter, among the other errors that have been pointed out. Certainly enough to anger Phil into telling us about that aspect of his job at Ford.

Maybe you'd be willing to suck brake fluid out of your reservoir for our edification? Just a thought.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

This is a summary of FMVSS 105 as it is way too complicated to post here. This is from the Haynes manual.

"By 1967, it was mandated by the Federal Government that all vehicles use a dual-brake master cylinder, with separate circuits in case of the failure of a line or other issue. The resulting dual circuit master cylinders typically have two separate chambers that separate the front and rear brake circuits, though some still are split diagonally.

This type of system prevents the total loss of braking action in the event of the system being compromised. The brakes still work even in the event of one seal in the master cylinder going bad, or a pressure leak in the system.

Either systems will stop the vehicle with only one circuit operating, and prevent an accident, though stopping distances are much greater. More than 75% of your braking is done with the front wheels, so if the rear brakes fail you may not even notice."

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
CB750F

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Good day members!
After posting last night I decided to ask my wife again what happened.
She noticed something was wrong when her foot was slowly going all the way to
the firewall but the truck was still "braking" but she says at about 50%.
By the time she was home & I tried it, it was useless. Granted I just moved 5 feet for
my test.
She never saw a light for low fluid, does not mean there was no light.
Break & brake, yea, my bad, u have no idea how many times I went back to change that... lol.

Bottom line, seems you run out of braking power pretty fast when the brake hose breaks.

My apologies for the misinformation I gave.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi Folks,

This is a summary of FMVSS 105 as it is way too complicated to post here. This is from the Haynes manual.

"By 1967, it was mandated by the Federal Government that all vehicles use a dual-brake master cylinder, with separate circuits in case of the failure of a line or other issue. The resulting dual circuit master cylinders typically have two separate chambers that separate the front and rear brake circuits, though some still are split diagonally.

This type of system prevents the total loss of braking action in the event of the system being compromised. The brakes still work even in the event of one seal in the master cylinder going bad, or a pressure leak in the system.

Either systems will stop the vehicle with only one circuit operating, and prevent an accident, though stopping distances are much greater. More than 75% of your braking is done with the front wheels, so if the rear brakes fail you may not even notice."

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Conversely if the front brake circuit fails - as in the OPs case you notice it and quickly. Loaned my Saab to my brother and he brings it home one night saying " I think there is something wrong with your brakes" Well a front flexible line was slashed - and the there wasn't much fluid left nor braking , can't believe he even made it home. Moron. Took nearly a week to get the part as nobody local stocked them - extremely rare occurrence.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’ve had my pucker moment a few times with my 97 Ranger. 1st time was rear brake line rusted through at T fitting. Fronts still got me to stop but took some vise grips and pinched/folded line and got it to slow leak mode. That got me home!

Second time was a bit different but similar to what OP experience. Mine was caused by a stick that I drove over with the tire. From my racing days any debris on the road don’t straddle. If unavoidable drive over it with the tire and hope for the best. So when driving over a 2 foot 1” or so round stick it flipped up behind the wheel. I heard it snap and thought nothing more about it. Well it hooked my brake line in front and badly fractured it. Pucker moment 2 and this time zero braking power. Emergency to the floor and 10% of norm was all I got. Lucky I wasn’t flying or that would have been hell.

If I do anything like that now as soon as I can pull over and take a look and a hard pump test to see if all is well still.

Edit: can’t spell brake ether! ?

Last edited:

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
Sure... feed the lawyers and sue Ford for an accident that didn't happen. Then complain why the cost of vehicles and other things by major corporations get so dang expensive.
My thoughts exactly!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OP
OP
CB750F

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
UPDATE:

Picked up the truck, they replaced the hose & wheel, balanced, cleaned, greased, all good.

We asked about pre-inspection & they claim it was done, I can't prove it was not. They can claim
we took the wheel off & damaged it, but can't prove that either.

So we decided to pick our battles & this one was too grey.

Bottom line, no material damage, no personal injuries, no accident.
They fixed everything under warranty.

My assumption is, I'll be going there for the next 5 yrs for normal maintenance & the truck will last 200k miles with normal issues.

UNLESS!!!! They come out with the PHEV Ranger, then I think I'll trade, depending on specs.
By far most miles driven, 80/90%, is under 30 miles a day, so this would be a great option.

They lent us an Escape SE AWD, I don't like SUVs, wife was not crazy about it, consumed a lot of gas, seat were not comfortable for neither of us. We both love the Ranger seats.

Have a pleasant weekend.
Sponsored