Brake controller (does anyone actually have one)

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just as confused as everyone else at this point. No, I don't have a Ranger yet. But here's what I got out of an email with my salesman. Does this sound like the Redarc to everyone?

Salesman:
The add-on items you requested are as follows:
1) Bed Mat - $140
2) Trailer Brake Controller - $640 (installed)
OR
3) Trailer Brake -$515 (Part only-you install)
Plus- Flash Controller to PCM $75 (Required or it will not operate-performed by our tech)

Me:
Can you give me some details on the brake controller? Is it integrated with the truck to the extent that TowCommand is? (there must be some level of integration if a PCM flash is required).

What does the control interface look like?

Salesman:
I discussed this with my associate in our accessories department. He informed me of the following:

You are correct that the brake controller is fully integrated into the dash. The PCM needs to know that the brake controller is present. It will reflect your brake adjustment on a bar gauge on the gauge panel.

For the cost of installation, I would suggest that you allow us to get it set-up for you so we can properly test it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
This looks like the Redarc, It's odd that they can find it, but my dealer could not... I already took delivery, so it's possible that they just don't care anymore.

It's fully integrated like the F150, 640$ isn't that bad for full installation EDIT: seems that it does include PCM reflash.

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi 5G Group, your submissions are invaluable! I have had my Ranger since Jan. and have been working with multiple dealers who don’t have much information on the brake controller issue. They best the techs have come up with is there is a section 95-1 in the Ford Service Manual online that says something about a brake controller harness. As I stand there looking over the techs shoulder he clicks on the link and the link crashes in his browser. He is not motivated to ask Ford Corporate why the page crashes and email/fax him the information. Anyone know what is in section 95-1 and can share it?

I then head over to the parts department. I want to get on the list for the mythical brake controller/harness, Et al. The part number he finds is FL3Z19H332F, but has no description or picture or anything about what this part number stands for. Eleven of them are apparently shipping soon, but he can’t tell where... Does anyone know what this is?

I have found my 4 butt-splice wires on the left drivers side kick plate LHS, like previous post pictures. I did not even have to remove the LHS panel as I could fish them out from above it. I’m not afraid of butt-splicing, but am trying to get resolution on why etrailer.com states that Redarc told them the factory brake controller harness location was behind the dash panel to the left of the stereo?
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337662.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337036.html
I, like others, can’t find any plug or port under the dash. Why would they state that and have us purchase the Redarc Plug-and-play Wiring Harness for Tow-Pro Trailer Brake Controllers Item # 331-TPH-007 instead of a generic pigtail if the port didn’t exist? I get that I can cut the gray plug off, but really? My 2003 F-350 had a port for my P3. I have emails into Redarc and etrailer for clarification, but wanted to inquire here as well to share information.
I spent a good 15-20 minutes looking all around the dash and couldn't find a pigtail harness. I was the one who asked etrailer where their "confirmed" wiring kit plugs in to the Ranger pigtail harness and they told me that they were told by Redarc, it's located to the left of the radio. Keep in mind Redarc is an Astralian company, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt that they may not have readily available access to a Northa American Ranger.

I also think it would be odd that Ford would have the 4 wire buttsplice wires to the trailer AND a pigtail harness. Despite all the literature from Ford stating that the tow package comes with a wiring harness, etc. Maybe the wiring harness wasn't readily available for these first batches of Rangers? I just installed my Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and didn't run in to any issues. I'll make a post about it shortly.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have the PCM reflashed to enable the menu's in the dash cluster? Not sure if that's the RedArc that communicates with the dash cluster or not.

I'm nervous about pulling the panels, I can never get those to come free without busting the clips off. Even if I use the panel tool...

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I asked Redarc directly a while back about the truck being prewired to use one of their harnesses, this is the reply I got:

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your e-mail and may I start by apologising for the slow response.

Normally REDARC are able to respond quicker however in this case we needed to confirm some details with Ford US in order to be able to accurately answer this question.

REDARC have confirmed that the Ford Ranger range in the US will NOT have a pre wiring in the vehicle.

As such, the installation of the Tow-Pro Elite brake controller will need to a “full” installation.

REDARC recommend the installation is conducted by an Auto Electrician.
There's no harness, just those capped off wires that have already been found in this thread.

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi 5G Group, your submissions are invaluable! I have had my Ranger since Jan. and have been working with multiple dealers who don’t have much information on the brake controller issue. They best the techs have come up with is there is a section 95-1 in the Ford Service Manual online that says something about a brake controller harness. As I stand there looking over the techs shoulder he clicks on the link and the link crashes in his browser. He is not motivated to ask Ford Corporate why the page crashes and email/fax him the information. Anyone know what is in section 95-1 and can share it?

I then head over to the parts department. I want to get on the list for the mythical brake controller/harness, Et al. The part number he finds is FL3Z19H332F, but has no description or picture or anything about what this part number stands for. Eleven of them are apparently shipping soon, but he can’t tell where... Does anyone know what this is?

I have found my 4 butt-splice wires on the left drivers side kick plate LHS, like previous post pictures. I did not even have to remove the LHS panel as I could fish them out from above it. I’m not afraid of butt-splicing, but am trying to get resolution on why etrailer.com states that Redarc told them the factory brake controller harness location was behind the dash panel to the left of the stereo?
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337662.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337036.html
I, like others, can’t find any plug or port under the dash. Why would they state that and have us purchase the Redarc Plug-and-play Wiring Harness for Tow-Pro Trailer Brake Controllers Item # 331-TPH-007 instead of a generic pigtail if the port didn’t exist? I get that I can cut the gray plug off, but really? My 2003 F-350 had a port for my P3. I have emails into Redarc and etrailer for clarification, but wanted to inquire here as well to share information.
I have a 19 Ranger and have had the same conflicting information. I finally found the 4 brake controller wires up by the left hand kick panel. I confirmed that that's what they are. They are butt ended and have confirmed what each wire is. There is no plug so will have to butt splice my controller in. Redarc emailed me asking for information and what would work. The only Etrailer that makes sense is the universal one with butt ends.

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just as confused as everyone else at this point. No, I don't have a Ranger yet. But here's what I got out of an email with my salesman. Does this sound like the Redarc to everyone?

Salesman:
The add-on items you requested are as follows:
1) Bed Mat - $140
2) Trailer Brake Controller - $640 (installed)
OR
3) Trailer Brake -$515 (Part only-you install)
Plus- Flash Controller to PCM $75 (Required or it will not operate-performed by our tech)

Me:
Can you give me some details on the brake controller? Is it integrated with the truck to the extent that TowCommand is? (there must be some level of integration if a PCM flash is required).

What does the control interface look like?

Salesman:
I discussed this with my associate in our accessories department. He informed me of the following:

You are correct that the brake controller is fully integrated into the dash. The PCM needs to know that the brake controller is present. It will reflect your brake adjustment on a bar gauge on the gauge panel.

For the cost of installation, I would suggest that you allow us to get it set-up for you so we can properly test it.
The pricing and description sounds like what Ford offers for F-150s without a controller.

I don't know if this is what happened but I'm imagining that this could have happened.

Salesman - "Someone is asking about a brakce controller for a new Ranger. Is there one available. "

Parts or service coordinator - "Well I don't really know because we haven't really seen or worked on one. But if it's anything like the F-150 it'll be this..." Without actualy confirming an actual part number, etc. That's why most dealerships haven't offered this or mentioned this.

I just find this option hard to believe because there just isn't really any space in a Ranger, either on the dash or center console to fit a slide controller like this. On F-150s there's a little tray that looks like it could fit a pack of smokes in there that you replace that the the controller slides in to, it also holds the pigtail harness behind the dash. Both of which aren't on a Ranger and in fact has a huge metal plate instead.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got my truck ordered today (yay!). While I was there, I talked to the guy who had quoted the $640 “built in” controller. I pressed him pretty hard on what it actually was, he went and looked, and came back with no answer. I think he just assumed it was the same as an F-150 TowCommand install. So anyway I’m just going to put in a Redarc with the Lightforce fascia.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pressed on my dealer too, he said if I've heard of someone else doing it, they are probably doing a non-ford approved procedure which they would not be comfortable doing. I figure they aren't quite ready yet, so I'll just install my P3 and figure out where to put it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here's what the P3 looks like mag mounted in the handle you yank down to get at the fuse panel. I used SUPER magnets (the kind you need to use two hands to get apart). I'm testing it for a few months of regular driving without the trailer so I can make sure it's not going to fall down while driving. I think the magnets are strong enough, but I want to make sure.

Magnets here:https://www.amazon.com/Tac-Mag-Gun-...mount+magnets&qid=1552157585&s=gateway&sr=8-8

mine look more like this kind though.

https://www.amazon.com/Depring-Conc...ount+magnets&qid=1552157665&s=gateway&sr=8-83

I used one magnet on the inside, and mounted one with bolts to the P3's bracket.

brakecontroller.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Separate sub-par install write up coming soon

IMG_3753.jpg
Dear god put away the drill :)

Update on the magnet mount, it's not moved a bit since install, and I purposely drove fast down dirt roads in Michigan during an early thaw. Would definitely recommend.
Sponsored