Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how many folks have taken the time to install a boost gauge on their Ranger. Those who have, I'd like some comments from.

I'm seeing max boost at about 22 psi (I have the Ford Performance tune), but typically at lower ambient temperatures—say between 50° to about 75° or so. My boost drops about 2 psi as the RPM approaches redline, which I expect is normal. It also goes down at higher ambients, which is also normal.

I've read that the normal boost range is 17 to 18 pounds, but I didn't install my gauge until after the software upgrade.

By the way, this is the kit I used: (https://cp-e.com/shop/product/ford-ecoboost-2-3l-turbo-maptap/)

As I said before, it is difficult to get the connections made due to the location of the "nipple" on the intake manifold. That part took me about 10 minutes, and about 3 minor cuts! The hard part was fishing the tubing down through the heater ducting. I had to take out the top-of-dash tray, after which it went the first time. I mounted my gauge in the tray.

If you use nylon 1/4" OD tubing, and a "PLASTIC" wire fish tape (available from Home Disappointment), fish the tubing above and to the left the hood release cable as seen from the inside of the cabin. With a little effort, you can then pull the tubing by simply pushing it over the ferrel on the fish tape, and pull from the engine side. Took me about 20 minutes total.

Here are the best photos I can take. Space is at a premium, and without some sort of "snorkel" camera, this is about as good as it gets.

The blue nylon tube is the pressure line.

There are two connections to the intake manifold. The front one (in this case) is the MAP connection. The other is much too big for the "kit".

The third photo is shows the "kit" connections.

From here, you're sort of on your own. That said, it isn't rocket science.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG
Having some trouble fishing my tube from the dash tray down to the driver's side area you described. Any advice on where to fish this thing down?

IMG_6953.jpg

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I had trouble too, so don't feel alone.

If you route the tubing just under the lip on the left, then up and over the air vent, you should be okay. It took me about 4 tried to get it done. A little tight to say the least.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Living in Arizona, every time I see y'all using something that covers an air vent (gauges, phone holders, Kleenex dispensers, etc) I think YOU DUMBASS! But then I realize that everywhere else it probably isn't as critical. Still..... I have to wonder. Why don't I see any A-Pillar Gauge Pods on Rangers yet?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Living in Arizona, every time I see y'all using something that covers an air vent (gauges, phone holders, Kleenex dispensers, etc) I think YOU DUMBASS! But then I realize that everywhere else it probably isn't as critical. Still..... I have to wonder. Why don't I see any A-Pillar Gauge Pods on Rangers yet?
Probably has something to do with all the crap, airbag and such, stuffed back there.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I do realize that finding room for extra gauges is difficult task at best. Staying out of the airbag deployment zones, is also difficult. The latter is why I finally decided not to use the A pillar.

And speaking of which... I don't use the Programming module for the same reason. It mounts on a suction cup mount, and the last thing I want to happen is, having it face planted!

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
HN Customs in Australia is currently making them. They already have them for RH drive Rangers. They'd probably expedite some orders if you ask. You can look them up on fb or instagram and I got a response on fb in less than a day.

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, I like the vent pod as it still functions. But the dash tray I also considered. I was also leery about tearing into the A-Pillar. I'm sure many other vehicles have but its just something else to work around.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like a few of you are using 1/4" tubing for you gauges (same blue tubing I found at Ace). The kit came with 1/8" stiff tubing and there is some 1/8" inch at Ace that says it is rated up to 55psi. Any info on tubing choice?

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The nylon, 1/4 inch tubing, using the correct fittings, is rated at 80 psi. This exact tubing is used in reverse osmoses units, and like most plumbing supplies, the ratings are 80, 120, and 240. Any material W/O markings are typically 80 psi.

Eskram

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a Powerboost Hybrid

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score