First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Retired USAF 1987-2007, Vol. Asst. Chief
Is it a good thing to know the boost pressures? I tow a travel trailer a lot, thought it would be something I would need a gauge to watch? new at this turbo thing.
Sponsored

Snow3d

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Human
Is it a good thing to know the boost pressures? I tow a travel trailer a lot, thought it would be something I would need a gauge to watch? new at this turbo thing.
Boost isn't really something you "need" to watch while towing per se. It certainly isn't a bad thing, though, it's not a necessity. Hence the reason the truck didn't come with one...that, and pinching pennies. If you are modifying/tuning/racing the truck, a boost gauge is a handy tool. On a stock street car/truck it's really just for fun. Plus you get a gauge on your dash that says BOOST which is pretty sweet. Nothing wrong with that.

OP
OP
2020 DS Ranger

2020 DS Ranger

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Boost isn't really something you "need" to watch while towing per se. It certainly isn't a bad thing, though, it's not a necessity. Hence the reason the truck didn't come with one...that, and pinching pennies. If you are modifying/tuning/racing the truck, a boost gauge is a handy tool. On a stock street car/truck it's really just for fun. Plus you get a gauge on your dash that says BOOST which is pretty sweet. Nothing wrong with that.
I was just thinking while towing it shifts a lot and could over spool?

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
The computer controls the waste gate and bov so well, it'll never be a issue. That being said, I did install a mechanical boost gauge just because I like to know what's going on and it's cool.

OP
OP
2020 DS Ranger

2020 DS Ranger

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
The computer controls the waste gate and bov so well, it'll never be a issue. That being said, I did install a mechanical boost gauge just because I like to know what's going on and it's cool.
what gauge did you get and where and how did you install it?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When I add a gauge to a vehicle I always go with Autometer gauges. They have a multitude of gauge face styles so that you can find one that compliments the existing gauges or tickles your fancy. They also offer gauges for pressure measurement in both pure mechanical or electromechanical.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
As said the waist gate and BOV are very well controlled on these trucks. If you want to minimize the transmission shifting, be sure to use tow mode and lock out at least 9th and 10th gears. Maybe 7th if you are in hilly areas. The boost gauge is neat but more useful for towing is probably engine coolant and transmission temp. Just don't get worried with the transmission temp. This 10 speed is intended to run warm. It has a heat exchanger and not a true cooler. It uses the engine coolant to heat the transmission up on start up. Only acts as a cooler if it goes above the engine temp.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
If you have or buy a cheap android tablet it would be MUCH easier to install a wireless OBDII device ($20 and plugs into your OBDII port) and download Torque Pro ($5) to the tablet. Then you can have your boost gauge and many other gauges that we have sensors for in our Ranger engines. Sadly oil pressure and oil temp are not available (we don't have sensors...go figure :frown:). Probably the 2 most important gauges if you want to watch what's going on in that 2.3L beast. There are many posts on here about setting up Torque Pro...just do some searching in this forum if you are interested.

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist

^^^ Good, humorous video on how turbos work for you.

And I agree with the tablet/obd Bluetooth idea. I had one in my 6.0l and it worked great.
Sponsored