Interesting Boost Info

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I stumbled across this video this morning, basically some guys comparing stock to tuned on several different Fords. Stock, from a stop, you can see the turbo lag, but with the tune, there is a fair amount of boost from the get go? I wonder if Ford is doing something with the programming of the electronic wastegate to cause the issue in stock form? Anyway here's the vid, I liked the "this will smoke the F150" comment. Edit: just noticed the F150 was a diesel, not an ecoboost.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
"We gotta do that again " :crackup:

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
MotoWojo

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The interesting part was the lack of boost on early throttle with the stock tune. I don't know how that can be, unless ford is doing something with the electronic wastegate to prevent it, and if so, why?

Reactions: Doc

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The interesting part was the lack of boost on early throttle with the stock tune. I don't know how that can be, unless ford is doing something with the electronic wastegate to prevent it, and if so, why?
Because people can't drive

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
This truck makes boost with the slightest bit of throttle. I believe that's why our mileage is down.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
More boost = more gas goes in to the engine. More gas going into the engine = less miles per gallon.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'd like to see the same tests done with the GFB Progressive Diverter installed.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Does anyone have a boost gauge or tuner that reads boost pressure? It looks like on one of these videos a ranger running at 20-22lbs boost. Is that stock or after tuner installed ?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I haven't looked or boosted full throttle at high rpm yet. I have boost as one of the gauge parameters on my BDX.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
More boost+more gas going into engine=more fun.

More fun>more mpg.
Amen brother! I'm not sure why everyone is so uptight about gas mileage. If Ford had not claimed "Best In Class MPG", mileage would be a non-issue. I mean look, it's a truck. If you want good gas mileage, buy a sedan. If you want to haul stuff, tow stuff, go hunting, fishing, and camping, or just look awesome driving, buy a truck. :)

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Amen brother! I'm not sure why everyone is so uptight about gas mileage. If Ford had not claimed "Best In Class MPG", mileage would be a non-issue. I mean look, it's a truck. If you want good gas mileage, buy a sedan. If you want to haul stuff, tow stuff, go hunting, fishing, and camping, or just look awesome driving, buy a truck. :)
My last truck got about 10 mpg average if I was being gentle. Let a truck be a truck. Let it tow, let it haul and let it haul ass. If you want mileage, there is no shortage of hybrid and electric out there.

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
I’ll take my Cobb AP off the ST tomorrow and see if it will allow me to view the gauges. Maybe even datalog?
Hopefully it works.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Ford limits boost at low speeds to reduce pre-ignition, it's common across the EB lineup. Tuners just blow out those limits.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I take it there is no digital boost gauge feature within the menu settings of the dash? That was more wishful thinking for my upcoming XLT. I can add a physical gauge later or use my Torque phone app while I get used to the feel of the engine and throttle position.

It is possible that Ford delays the boost to aid in towing or hauling something heavy. But then they could program the Tow / Haul Button to toggle that mapping on / off. Peppy early boost for everyday driving and delayed boost for hauling. As mentioned by some that it could be more for economy ratings.

Honestly I did not notice much turbo delay with the auto 10 speed on my test drive under normal driving conditions. Performance seemed better and smoother than my old 5 speed chipped turbo Jetta. Plus the Ranger weighs about a 1,000 lbs more. I'm looking forward to my new truck. :like:
Sponsored