OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I have no reason to think they're trying to keep the trans alive just long enough to get me out of warranty. My dealer has always treated me great.

I'll give the reprogram a fair shake and hope it works.

If not, I've got a Raptor ordered so hopefully that gets here before my powertrain warranty runs out in January 🤞

I'll update the thread if anything happens to the truck. I appreciate all the insight, this isn't an issue I know much about.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
if your warranty is out and you are a self pay customer they might find a problem. but then again they really dont wanna do transmission work at dealers. it takes up a lot of time they could be doing trivial high school kid tech work and making profit. oil changes, wipers, and that terribly dirty old filter they dont feel right not telling us about...
Oh ya they will love to take cash...warrantee is not profitable...

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Isn't there a class action on the 10spd for the downshifts and weird issues like that? Might be in the F150? Either way, this must be a tough trans for the Ranger considering how it is used in the F150 and Mustangs (some on slicks and drag radials).

Mine runs pretty solid, only when it is under 100F will it downshift hard sometimes on the 2-1 when in tow/haul. Sometimes I just leave it in Drive if the temps are low till it warms up. Otherwise I am basically always in Tow/Haul unless I put it in Sport to get on it.

32K miles, probably 8k miles towing a 4000lb travel trailer too so maintaining the trans was something of interest but learning about that PPE pan actually makes me want to do it ASAP.

Man, that PPE trans pan actually dropped someone's temps by 15F in their review? Can anyone else verify this? Seems like the deep sump might work too in the Ranger besides what looks like the normal capacity one too?

I have no reason to think they're trying to keep the trans alive just long enough to get me out of warranty. My dealer has always treated me great.

I'll give the reprogram a fair shake and hope it works.

If not, I've got a Raptor ordered so hopefully that gets here before my powertrain warranty runs out in January 🤞

I'll update the thread if anything happens to the truck. I appreciate all the insight, this isn't an issue I know much about.
Glad to hear that seems to be doing the trick. It is very reasonable for them to do this step first. No one would go straight to the most expensive component without trying the software side of things first. Common practice.

Oh ya they will love to take cash...warrantee is not profitable...
That's not entirely how dealers work despite your experience may lead you to feel that way. Yes, customer pay (CP) work is more profitable (for the tech especially) but NO ONE will turn down warranty work when presented with it. Now, usually the issue is incompetence. That is the main issue.

As a former Benz tech, sometimes we had hurdles because the manufacturer raises a flag and work needs to be signed off by a foreman and such, but otherwise no tech will turn down warranty work to just wait for it to go out of warranty. Most of us had better ethics than that. If something was marginal and close to being out of warranty, it usually got approved without fuss too. We were also bumper to bumper, unlike American brands. I also heard Ford warranty paid a lot better than Benz did then too.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I'm starting to think this thing wants to be driven flat out. Those that have failures seem to be those that don't drive like a lunatic or tow.

It also seems to smooth out and shift normal when pushing it.
Overall my 2019 Unleashed Tuned shifts pretty well....a little rough 1-2 (no skip shift tune) but it shifts like butter when I hammer it!!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I'm starting to think this thing wants to be driven flat out. Those that have failures seem to be those that don't drive like a lunatic or tow.

Got to agree with you. When I drive like an old man it can shift a bit "luggy." But when I drive it a bit more aggressively, and aggressive is a huge exaggeration, it shifts perfectly. I've almost gotten into the habit of driving it a bit harder all the time. Still find myself slipping into old man mode here and there. But right foot effort does make a huge difference in the performance / smoothness.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I wonder if Sport mode may actually be better for the transmission when you drive unladen.

....but still thinking aftermarket solenoid valve body.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Start by throwing the factory 150k fluid change right out the window.

Drain and fill around 30k, filter replace at 60. (If not sooner)

Get the debris out of there and the additives refreshed.

The PPE pan is nice, not strictly necessary at lest as far as cooling goes. The cooling system on this truck is up to the task and does a very good job of keeping the trans in a very narrow range. That being said, I'm doing the shallow pan almost strictly for the drain plug as I follow a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule and a drain plug is much easier than a fluid pump.

JMO
link to this drain pan please

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!

grammat95

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor - Lariat (Black)
Occupation
Maritime Professional

There might be some truth to this.... my wife had a ford focus (2013) with their faulty dual clutch transmission and the only way it drove smooth was at WOT. I haven't had any issues with my trans besides some rough downshifts when I mash the pedal. She's smooth as silk when I'm maxed out towing (dump trailer with mini-ex).

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Flooring your Ranger all the time to make it shift smoother is not a good idea...you're just masking the existing core fault and accelerating the tranny's demise...ask me how I know...a normal running transmission will shift perfectly 99% of the the time...the other 1% may have anomalies and slight roughness but nothing compared to a failing trans that is slamming into gears all day, slipping and mishits...have it checked out ASAP and get it fixed or replaced...

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
A DNA test will stop this from happening. Or just check the plumbing first.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
even if driving one way or other with some magic combination of "modes" made any real improvements the bottom line is it should not have be that way. if it was the owners manual would state the procedure for how to do so. despite how it seems we should simply have to put the trans in (D) and drive unless towing or trying to be sporty in 4 banger pickup truck or other reason to do something else. seeing how many threads are around discussing the transmission should make it clear something is flawed with some of them. i know some one is foaming at the mouth to tell me im driving it wrong get over yourself lol.