First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A lot of people asking about how the truck was driven. I bought it used in Nov. with 48k miles from the same dealer thats doing the work. It's definitely not stock, and if i had to guess I'd say its had some tough miles on it. It's lifted with an air suspension, 20" rims, 33" tires, petal commander, and some performance tune, although im not sure the maker. No one said it had a tune, but its too fast, and only gets 15mpg. I guess it would be easy to point the blame at the tune, but hell, even ford has one out so maybe thats not automatically the problem.

I'll ask the shop how the turbo looks once they have a chance do dig in to it.
Thanks for giving us the update. Much Appreciated.

Oh... and Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The Pedal commander AND performance tune would be very concerning to me. I'm not one for the sensor trickery though, so the pedal commander would not be something I would continue to run.

CPDKRX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1981 RX-7, 2005 Vulcan 800
Got the call from the dealership last night, and I have a blown turbo in my 2019 with 52k miles. I was going to work in the morning and started losing power on the interstate. It felt like it wasnt in gear. I could release the gas pedal, reapply it, and it would make power again. I made it to work and forgot about it. Everything was fine leaving work for about 15 miles and it started again. I had to pull off the highway and have it towed in.

Dealer says its covered under warranty, and will take two days to get the part in, and another three days for the repair. I'll have a loaner car in the mean time. Everything seems to be going smoothly, I'll post any hiccups along the way.
Had both turbos replaced on my 2013 F150 3.5 EB. That’s what scares me about these direct injection motors. Always using 91 in the Ranger and synthetic oil. Still looks like I’m rolling coal on some cold morning starts.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Let's not forget that these are either a K03 or K04 turbo which are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable in the VW community for lasting 60,000 miles. I would assume Borg Warner have finally started not building them to be shit, but the bones are still in there, somewhere...

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Let's not forget that these are either a K03 or K04 turbo which are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable in the VW community for lasting 60,000 miles. I would assume Borg Warner have finally started not building them to be shit, but the bones are still in there, somewhere...
As someone who likes to be informed, can you expand/link to more information on this? Excuse the ignorance, but the turbo is not a factory Ford part, but built by a third party? What other main components are this way?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Were it a choice I'd rather have a Mitsu turbo, I think they have a pretty good rep for reliability. I see Garrett went chapter 11, unfortunately I own their stock.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Were it a choice I'd rather have a Mitsu turbo, I think they have a pretty good rep for reliability. I see Garrett went chapter 11, unfortunately I own their stock.
Oh damn. That's news.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
In all reality if the 2.3 has issues with the turbo. It would be a issues with the Mustangs with it. I've done quite a lot of research prior to purchase and the updated 2.3 has few issues and non major ones.
Different turbo sizes and mechanical vs electric waste gate. He could have had an electronic waste gate issue.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Different turbo sizes and mechanical vs electric waste gate. He could have had an electronic waste gate issue.
That's an interesting thought. I read a lot of people remarking about the blow-off noise when they drive but my hearing doesn't pick it up all the time.

I can see how that could lead to premature failure. Wonder how the big fat Mishimoto charge pipes and GFB DV+ will play into longevity besides driving habits but yeah - synthetic oil sounds smarter now. Aren't our turbos water cooled too?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That's an interesting thought. I read a lot of people remarking about the blow-off noise when they drive but my hearing doesn't pick it up all the time.

I can see how that could lead to premature failure. Wonder how the big fat Mishimoto charge pipes and GFB DV+ will play into longevity besides driving habits but yeah - synthetic oil sounds smarter now. Aren't our turbos water cooled too?
Pretty sure ours are oil and water cooled.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who likes to be informed, can you expand/link to more information on this? Excuse the ignorance, but the turbo is not a factory Ford part, but built by a third party? What other main components are this way?
Just about every component of the vehicle is this way. Aside from sheet metal stamping, manufacturing of some plastic parts here or there, and assembling (key word there) engines, trans, and eventually the complete vehicle, Ford doesn't really 'make' anything. Pretty much every major component from turbos, to axles, shock absorbers, sync screens, etc, are manufactured by 3rd party suppliers. There are some exceptions of course depending on product line, but thats pretty typical for most the auto industry.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

Only difference I've noticed is sometimes the blow off is delayed or softer and prolonged. Electronic trickery. Mechanical would be instant.

Floydean

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Military
T
Got the call from the dealership last night, and I have a blown turbo in my 2019 with 52k miles. I was going to work in the morning and started losing power on the interstate. It felt like it wasnt in gear. I could release the gas pedal, reapply it, and it would make power again. I made it to work and forgot about it. Everything was fine leaving work for about 15 miles and it started again. I had to pull off the highway and have it towed in.

Dealer says its covered under warranty, and will take two days to get the part in, and another three days for the repair. I'll have a loaner car in the mean time. Everything seems to be going smoothly, I'll post any hiccups along the way.
This literally just happened to me!!! Did they say what the cause was?
Sponsored