OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
UPDATE: I just went and picked up my truck. The service writer said they read the codes and "reprogrammed the valve body parameters" and asked me to drive it for a few days to see how it does.

I just took it to the car wash and and then to grab a sandwich, but so far so good.

Hopefully I'm good to go, but time will tell.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Absolutely the hardest downshifting transmission i have ever owned or ridden in , stop signs and stoplights are flat out embarrassing if somebody is with me (which is why there never is) i actually HOPE i can soon join this club so they HAVE to do something with mine , ruins an otherwise awesome truck ...

RANT DISCLAIMER
Does not do it all the time (which is worse really ) and most of the time its all right , but when it clunks , its rough , upshifts like a beast and never stumbles , and wouldn't trade it for anything that is out there...

davewho

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ranger
Occupation
Between jobs
What oil pan? I’ve seen the deep sump one with drain plug but not a normal sump with drain plug.
<snipped>
…I'm doing the shallow pan almost strictly for the drain plug…<snipped>

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Engine modifications would be damn near the bottom of the list of possible reasons anyhow... realistically.

The 10r80 is rated for 800 torques. It would take one built-to-the-hilt 2.3 to start stressing the trans.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Engine modifications would be damn near the bottom of the list of possible reasons anyhow... realistically.

The 10r80 is rated for 800 torques. It would take one built-to-the-hilt 2.3 to start stressing the trans.
Understood. That's why I would like to figure out why any significant percentage of us truck owners vs. any other four cylinder Ecoboost would have failure - and what specific failures they are/were.

Reprogramming the valve body software? Seems like a half measure.

https://www.motorverso.com/ford-10-speed-transmission-problems/?expand_article=1

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I'm starting to think this thing wants to be driven flat out. Those that have failures seem to be those that don't drive like a lunatic or tow.

It also seems to smooth out and shift normal when pushing it.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm starting to think this thing wants to be driven flat out. Those that have failures seem to be those that don't drive like a lunatic or tow.

Since I push all my vehicles, and especially the Ranger you might be right. :like:

Probably why I don't get mileage like @AzScorpion

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Since I push all my vehicles, and especially the Ranger you might be right. :like:

Probably why I don't get mileage like @AzScorpion
You guys are a bad influence - now I have even MORE reason to squash the skinny pedal! :LOL:

Seriously, I have changed from the soft shift tune to the regular tune, hoping it will be kinder to the transmission. Even though I've not experienced any issues in my 37,000 miles/4 years I've owned it.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase

tbh thats how it felt when i got the truck... its always had this feeling of lets get moving so im not driving it around slowly lol. plus i tow a overlanding trailer and help family off and on tow random things and atm no issues but im also only at 17k only time will tell right!?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Sorry to hear about this. Like you, I am having issues with mine and it is very frustrating to get blank looks rather than offers of assistance whenever I talk to the dealer. There is at least one person on this forum who will probably say you're just whining, but I'm not that guy. Good luck!
if your warranty is out and you are a self pay customer they might find a problem. but then again they really dont wanna do transmission work at dealers. it takes up a lot of time they could be doing trivial high school kid tech work and making profit. oil changes, wipers, and that terribly dirty old filter they dont feel right not telling us about...

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
UPDATE: I just went and picked up my truck. The service writer said they read the codes and "reprogrammed the valve body parameters" and asked me to drive it for a few days to see how it does.

I just took it to the car wash and and then to grab a sandwich, but so far so good.

Hopefully I'm good to go, but time will tell.
sounds like a very similar story to the one i got. my first round they did the re learn junk on mine and said drive it 500 to 2k miles lol... i didnt make it to 300 if i remember correctly. took it back and they replaced the valve body and did another flash of programming. i demanded they check the fluid on that round. found out it came from factory low on trans fluid. after 3 rounds of relearn flash bs and still having issues the dealer told me nothing was wrong with the transmission and that my warranty was void due to installing shocks and springs that were not oem... good luck friend. long thread some place around here on the transmission issues. I took mine to a transmission shop and said I would pay them just to tell me whats wrong with mine. the owner got in the truck with me we went for spin. he then laughed and said something to the tune of yes these 10 speeds are just not right. earlier valve body design was flawed and starves the transmission for fluid which makes it shift erratically and run hotter than intended eventually making the clutches nice and crispy. i was livid. he didnt even have to look at mine and knew. hes done a few already. that means ford knows. dealers know. they just playing the cards that most of the 5g trucks that had the issue are near or past warranty being out so they are off the hook. transmission guy told me that as mine had the new valve body put in fairly early in the trucks life and new filter and new fluid that it may be ok for while. also told me that whenever it starts shifting sloppy check the trans temp and fluid level. fill if needed and do the re learn flash my self. then if it still shifts sloppy after 200 miles sell or trade it asap. i just hit 30k and change today and its holding together but still feels like its not right to me. but have not had it fail just the typical 5g weird and sloppy shift now and then. who knows.
worst part of owning a ford is ford dealers.
Sponsored

Last edited: