Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Leveling Shock Kit

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What's the difference in the 6112s up front? Not questioning....just shock stupid...lol.
6112 is a heavier duty shock absorber.

~2.5" body vs 2.0" body so it has more oil capacity and will run cooler under constant cycling.

6112 is more off-road oriented for a vehicle that spends a lot more time in the boonies.

Kind of a Nice To Have But Not Really Necessary for the vast majority of drivers.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
What's the difference in the 6112s up front? Not questioning....just shock stupid...lol.
Larger diameter, so it holds more fluid, and would stay cooler longer in adverse use. It also has more detent settings allowing more preload adjustment. It was available during the height of Covid supply chain restrictions when the 5100 was not.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Did the front struts yesterday - was wiped out and haven’t driven a lot yet, so can’t give a solid report. First driving felt very nice though, firm but planted. Diving during braking is gone.

I bought axle nuts from Ford ahead of time to replace the fronts while doing this upgrade, so had no cv joint issues.

The most challenging part was rebuilding the spring assemblies. Didn’t see anyone mention that on here, but it’s no joke compressing the spring enough when adding lift to the strut.

If ever doing this again, I would likely either purchase a more expensive kit that is already assembled or take both assemblies off and bring to a local shop to have them assemble.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the front struts yesterday - was wiped out and haven’t driven a lot yet, so can’t give a solid report. First driving felt very nice though, firm but planted. Diving during braking is gone.

I bought axle nuts from Ford ahead of time to replace the fronts while doing this upgrade, so had no cv joint issues.

The most challenging part was rebuilding the spring assemblies. Didn’t see anyone mention that on here, but it’s no joke compressing the spring enough when adding lift to the strut.

If ever doing this again, I would likely either purchase a more expensive kit that is already assembled or take both assemblies off and bring to a local shop to have them assemble.
Picture from this morning, my driveway has a slight pitch. Stock tires 265/60/18

83650B58-63D4-43B6-A04C-20850A35BF57.jpeg

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
I am having a local shop install my front Bilstein 5100's tomorrow and will have them keep the original setup as much as possible. I measured the height of the truck from the ground to the center of the front wheel arch with the tape measure centered at center of the wheel. Drivers side measured 34.5 inches, passenger side measured just over 35 inches. Truck is empty inside and in the bed, only my MX4 bed cover is installed on this stock 2020 XLT. Only thing I can figure is the weight of an almost full tank of gas might cause slight lean on the front. I have not measured the rear height at the rear wheel arch. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I ask them to adjust driver side to match passenger or leave it as is?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
will have them keep the original setup as much as possible. I measured the height of the truck from the ground to the center of the front wheel arch
If you aren't preloading the springs, then you shouldn't have much difference, if any, in height.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013

Did you not rent the spring compression tool?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you not rent the spring compression tool?
Did have the tool - rented one and had a second one on hand.

It was still challenge to get the spring compressed enough. It also is just the most potentially dangerous part, so it was a relief to get the top secured again.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Did have the tool - rented one and had a second one on hand.

It was still challenge to get the spring compressed enough. It also is just the most potentially dangerous part, so it was a relief to get the top secured again.
Hence paid a shop to do mine. I am.not that handy. If I still had complete coils like a 2.0 system I might have tackled this myself. Also labor would have been cheaper offsetting the 2.0 costs vs the 5100s

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hence paid a shop to do mine. I am.not that handy. If I still had complete coils like a 2.0 system I might have tackled this myself. Also labor would have been cheaper offsetting the 2.0 costs vs the 5100s
Agreed - although you could probably get a shop to just reassemble the coilovers for relatively cheap though. Would still be cheaper than full coilover replacement options.

It does feel great so far though. Very pleased.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Bilstein 6112 up front set at 0.8" higher than stock. 5100 in the rear. Trashed the FX4 shocks. 1 1/2 years and they ride great. Do not follow video instructions from Stage3. Here is a link to Josh Mills removing the front struts. If you do it like this, then you will not put any stress on your drive shafts.
Love Josh's videos - But was that a saws all!!! ?
I found this video which uses a less "destructive" approach and minimizes front suspension tear-down. Its for 6112s also, but applies to any front strut replacement. Plan to follow this one when I do my fronts.
Anyone try his method?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Love Josh's videos - But was that a saws all!!! ?
I found this video which uses a less "destructive" approach and minimizes front suspension tear-down. Its for 6112s also, but applies to any front strut replacement. Plan to follow this one when I do my fronts.
Anyone try his method?
seen that before. He makes it look easy

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
seen that before. He makes it look easy
I know , right!
I saw the other video where that guy took EVERYTHING apart! And probably spent $100 in new nuts and bolts!
I will give this a try and report back

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I will give this a try and report back
So, in that video at 5:15, he pushes down on the lower control arm. This puts stress on the joints on the half shafts. If you are going to do this, then you must remove the axle nut so you can press down on the LCA without stressing the joint. THIS is the whole problem. Everyone doing this is coming back later with ruined half shafts.
Sponsored