First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well you can speculate on what will happen but the dealer does not make the call on whether a warranty claim is denied or not, that decision is made by Ford Motor Co.

I have been on Ecoboost Performance forums continuously since 2012 and I have never heard of anyone with a Ford Performance tune having a powertrain warranty claim denied.
Perhaps you do not understand what the dealership does when it comes to warranty stuff. During the diagnosis process the technician must determine the cause of the failure when it comes to any failure on a vehicle(powertrain related or not). And all it takes from the dealer is to notice the tune and simply blame it on the tune if said dealer feels like. How often will you run into a dealer that will do that? Depends on the dealer but it will happen. Also I have already spoke with Fors performance and Ford directly when the Tune was released. Both confirmed the powertrain warranty is reduced to 3 year 36,000 miles. Why you ask? Because Ford can, thats why.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps you do not understand what the dealership does when it comes to warranty stuff. During the diagnosis process the technician must determine the cause of the failure when it comes to any failure on a vehicle(powertrain related or not). And all it takes from the dealer is to notice the tune and simply blame it on the tune if said dealer feels like. How often will you run into a dealer that will do that? Depends on the dealer but it will happen. Also I have already spoke with Fors performance and Ford directly when the Tune was released. Both confirmed the powertrain warranty is reduced to 3 year 36,000 miles. Why you ask? Because Ford can, thats why.
I know exactly how the dealership works. My son was a service manager at a CDJR dealership for almost 10 years before he got his own shop. Of course there are bad service departments and good ones. It is in the best interest of the dealership to work to get everything that can be covered by the warranty covered. It flows positively to the bottom line of the service department and creates good will that ensures future sales.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
It is in the best interest of the dealership to work to get everything that can be covered by the warranty covered. It flows positively to the bottom line of the service department and creates good will that ensures future sales.
This ^^^.

I am tuned aftermarket, properly maintain and do not abuse my vehicles, but I understand not everyone does the same so they can void portions of the warranty for a cracked piston etc. But if there is a cracked piece of plastic on a cam sensor that leads to a an electrical problem due to water intrusion, that should be in Fords' bucket, not mine.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
I had the Ford tune coupled with the Pedal Commander and it was night and day difference from stock. Hell, for what you stated you're looking for in your original post, the Pedal Commander may be all you need. I don't know how anyone who has owned one can say they're a waste. It makes it feel more "old school" in my opinion - as in, when you press the gas pedal, it goes - no lag and doesn't feel bogged down by the electronic nannies. And you can set it at whatever sensitivity you want. Nothing unreliable about it, as if it does happen to fail, you just unplug it and you're back to stock. I sold my truck but still have mine hoping to put it in my next Ford, which will be my third Ford to use it in as I used it in my previous truck, a 2013 F150.
I have same set-up with FP tune and Boost throttle controller. Yes, they do work well together

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
Tow mode.

I've found it to be a perfect balance between D and S.

I suspect it gives better MPGs than D for my driving style as well. Currently expirementing with that
Very interested in your testing. I mistakenly went on tow mode the other day with a noticable change in shift points and engine sound. Kinda smoothed out the power train response in general.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Very interested in your testing. I mistakenly went on tow mode the other day with a noticable change in shift points and engine sound. Kinda smoothed out the power train response in general.
Will do.

Running 3 tanks back to back. All the same fuel, premium, from the same station/pump. And normalizing tire pressures before each tank.

Truck is factory stock except for suspension and tires. 2" front lift, â…ť"s rear, 255/80-17's (33"s) E rated tires. ASS disabled. Speedometer and odometer calibrated for tires.

First tank was driven exclusively in D. Don't know how I suffered through it.

Hand calculated 16.15 mpg with my aggressive driving.

I'm about halfway through the Tow Mode exclusive tank. Computer shows 20.5 mpg and it seems to be pretty close comparing my previous calculations.

Next tank will be all S.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I just got the livernois tune. I was considering ford performance one but I would be stuck with 93 octane and only one tune. So I tried the performance tune and it's powerful, I love it. However I noticed it shifts kind of hard. So today I switched to the soft shift tune that was recommended by Dave on here and it's a lot smoother and doesn't feel it's going to kill your power train. I still have to break it in though to get the transmission to relearn everything. But so far so good. I get great acceleration without struggle anddoesn't feel overpowered. I already got the tune and then I came this across video and it does look good as an alternative.

I just ordered that EVC unit... I posted in a previous post in thread there is a promocode YOURMOM that worked for $20 off, so I paid $188.

Not sure I'll keep it, but I'll give it a shot. I decided to not get a tune, as also mentioned in a previous post. I'm happy with the truck, except the throttle could use a tweak, so we'll see how the controller works.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Roush tune... keeps the existing warranty. Ive had it for a year and a half and its great in all situations.

*let the hating begin below*
I passed a ranger yesterday that looked to be a roush ranger. Had the fender flares and the bed rack with the led bar. Looked sweet and was fast I bet he had a roush tune. No hating here roush is a cool brand.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I passed a ranger yesterday that looked to be a roush ranger. Had the fender flares and the bed rack with the led bar. Looked sweet and was fast I bet he had a roush tune. No hating here roush is a cool brand.
Speaking of Roush, I got an email from them the other day inviting me to apply for a job at Roush. I followed the link and they had 88 positions they were advertising for. Everything from Program Managers to Assembly Technicians. The program manager positions looked interesting but I just retired and have no intentions of moving to Michigan at this point in my life.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
I've had my Ranger for 6 mos now and I've worked through most of the things that bother me about the truck. My biggest gripe now is the terrible throttle response and shifting characteristics. Is there a moderate TUNE out there that will help with this? I'm not looking to race the thing, I just want it to move when I press the gas. Sport mode is definitely better but I don't want it to hold the shifts quite so long.
I have the Ford Performance Tune and Ford Borla exhaust and I'm loving it. The 10 speed trans can be quirky at times but that is inherent to it with or without a tune, but much better with a tune. Using Tow mode makes it way better and holds gears better for daily driving and Sport mode is just downright fun!!!! ..........And its all under warranty... :)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Will do.

Running 3 tanks back to back. All the same fuel, premium, from the same station/pump. And normalizing tire pressures before each tank.

Truck is factory stock except for suspension and tires. 2" front lift, â…ť"s rear, 255/80-17's (33"s) E rated tires. ASS disabled. Speedometer and odometer calibrated for tires.

First tank was driven exclusively in D. Don't know how I suffered through it.

Hand calculated 16.15 mpg with my aggressive driving.

I'm about halfway through the Tow Mode exclusive tank. Computer shows 20.5 mpg and it seems to be pretty close comparing my previous calculations.

Next tank will be all S.
Tow mode tank came in lower than expected. But still better than D by 1.5.

17.69 mpg tow mode.

Reactions: Doc

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I have the Ford Performance Tune and Ford Borla exhaust and I'm loving it. The 10 speed trans can be quirky at times but that is inherent to it with or without a tune, but much better with a tune. Using Tow mode makes it way better and holds gears better for daily driving and Sport mode is just downright fun!!!! ..........And its all under warranty... :)
So do you run the FP tune in drive and use the tow button. Can you use 87 still with FP tune?

Reactions: Doc

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
So do you run the FP tune in drive and use the tow button. Can you use 87 still with FP tune?
You do have to run 92 octane with the FP tune. You can run the tune in Drive with or without Tow Mode and in Sport mode. Here is some explanation with the tune...
DRIVE - Improved throttle response, torque and improved shift points. Shift points are still geared for economy so it hunts gears alot.
DRIVE W/TOW MODE ON - Slightly adjusted throttle response, shift points hold gears longer and doesn't try to "up shift" as often. Nice for daily driving in traffic with a lot of curvy roads and hilly areas. (My choice 80% of the time)
SPORT MODE - Smiles, Grins and Giggles. Performance throttle and shift points. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Hope this helps
Sponsored