Best 20 minute upgrade? Sumo Springs

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
SSR-141-40 | SumoSprings Rear for Ford Ranger | Left/Right Pair | 1000 (lb) Capacity at 50% Compression | Made in the USA https://a.co/d/0Uda95d
I am intrigued. I feel the ride with the Eibach shocks is so much better than stock, but there are times when I feel the rear could still be more controlled. Having said that, I only haul firewood on occasion and only tow a trailer loaded with brush or a riding mower once in a while. So not sure I am totally convinced. Perhaps they can prolong the life of the shocks?

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I do not have them on my truck, but I have them on my trailer to help reduce bouncing when in the bush.

So far so good and it really seems to help the trailer settled down faster and not keep bouncing for a while.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I am intrigued. I feel the ride with the Eibach shocks is so much better than stock, but there are times when I feel the rear could still be more controlled. Having said that, I only haul firewood on occasion and only tow a trailer loaded with brush or a riding mower once in a while. So not sure I am totally convinced. Perhaps they can prolong the life of the shocks?

Increasing the spring rate is not really going to help much with control. That is mostly the job of the dampers..however.

In my opinion, with the rear leaf being as soft as it is, having a more progressive, what is in all reality a longer, softer, more progressive bump stop (the sumo's), can take some of the impact out of the ride. The factory bumpstops are somewhat hard, and with any load in the truck, you'll either be on them, or smacking into them during most driving. Essentially the spring rate in the rear rockets up when it hits the factory stops, the sumo's make for a more gradual increase.

You still need sufficient dampers to control the springs though, be they factory or aftermarket. I know the FX shocks aren't up to the task, and really, I would like a little more damping out of my Bilsteins, but they get the job done.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Hmmm, making the rear springs more progressive is a nice upgrade although under load I imagine the benefits are less noticeable.

Cheaper, maybe better emergency handling than the Hellwig rear bar and with Addco coming out with a larger front bar this may be a real enhancement for us who primarily street drive.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I have a set of sumo springs for sale if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
MIBuckeye

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
EDITED.

SECOND OPINION BELOW IN FOLLOWING POSTS

My first impression with the Sumos and the teardrop over 250 miles is mixed. I like that my truck sits level now....but it seems so much more alive in the rear now. Small undulations seem big now. The rear seems super stiff and bouncy now.

I'm still reseving judgement since I had a rear hitch tray on the back of my teardrop with s ton of firewood...it may have reduced the tongue weight severely. Firewood almost gone now so we'll see on the return trip.

Last edited:

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I would have put the firewood in the bed of the truck, or at least moved some weight around to where more of it is on the rear of the truck, might have been pretty light there and that's what I would expect out of the rear end being lightly loaded.

OP
OP
MIBuckeye

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have put the firewood in the bed of the truck, or at least moved some weight around to where more of it is on the rear of the truck, might have been pretty light there and that's what I would expect out of the rear end being lightly loaded.
Yeah. Agree. I'll know better tomorrow when it's empty after a night of college ball and a bunch of beers at camp....but I'm sure someone on here will just tell me its my driving skills...;)

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I've had air shocks on a couple of my trucks and always liked them. Whenever I load it down I could put just enough air in to level the truck then air it down when I'm done. I wonder if anyone makes them for the Ranger yet.

OP
OP
MIBuckeye

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My second opinion is MUCH better. The sumos seem to work quite well. No squat. Good rebound. And handled quite well. Quiet.

My first impression was poor but was due to the trailer being tongue light as I noted previously. I unloaded the the rear of the trailer and the setup performed wonderfully!

I would definitely recommend.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
You purchased them and changed your mind?
I liked them on my old 2500hd. On the ranger I think they’re a little stiff for my application.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Yeah. Agree. I'll know better tomorrow when it's empty after a night of college ball and a bunch of beers at camp....but I'm sure someone on here will just tell me its my driving skills...;)
Get this out of the way:

It’s your driving skills ???