Sumo springs?

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I regularity tow a lot with my ranger. I currently have a box cap on it that’s adds weight too. I’ve been looking into Sumo Springs and Timbrens as a way to help the ride when loaded up, has anyone had direct experience with them on their ranger? My other vehicles have all had air bags, and I’m no longer interested in them, after having to chase down leaks at -40C, I’d like something I don’t have to worry about anymore.
Ideally, I’d be installing some OME leaf packs, but it’s just out of the budget right now, and I really don’t want any additional lift at this time either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to be the test mule for this, as I could find any real world experience with these.
I ordered the blue Sumo springs, the lightest ones, I just installed them on my FX4 that has a bed cap on it. You’re basically on the sumo spring all the time, and the factory shocks have a hard time keeping up with them. Perfect candidate for upgrade springs. All this experience is unloaded, I’m hauling my camper this weekend, so I’ll update after that.

OP
OP

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After towing my 3500lbs camper a few hours on the highway with the SumoSprings, I can say I’m really happy with them. I have always used a WD hitch when towing, but the SumoSprings made a huge difference, a lot of the floating sensation is gone, along with the wiggle from the rear. The FX4 shocks still have a hard time keeping up though.
While unloaded, the body roll is significantly reduced as well, but it’s still pretty stiff over speed bumps and our terrible roads where I live. I’m going to try to remove the small spacer that was provided with the springs to help give a bit more up travel before the SumoSprings come in contact with the leaf springs.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
After towing my 3500lbs camper a few hours on the highway with the SumoSprings, I can say I’m really happy with them. I have always used a WD hitch when towing, but the SumoSprings made a huge difference, a lot of the floating sensation is gone, along with the wiggle from the rear. The FX4 shocks still have a hard time keeping up though.
While unloaded, the body roll is significantly reduced as well, but it’s still pretty stiff over speed bumps and our terrible roads where I live. I’m going to try to remove the small spacer that was provided with the springs to help give a bit more up travel before the SumoSprings come in contact with the leaf springs.

Would your opinion be that the 1,500lb sumo's or the timbrens would be too much? I usually do not tow long distances but due to the 'Rona our family rented a lake house a few hours drive. I am taking the boat and not looking forward to it due to how floaty the rear is. I put in Eibach shocks as I thought it was too soft even unloaded. The Eibachs definitely helped but the sumo's seem like an easy and cheap way to achieve a further enhancement.

OP
OP

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d get the lightest rates versions available

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
So I would agree that the sumo springs helped out. Couldnt resist with free shipping, no tax and 10% off. But I would say the eibach rear shocks were the single biggest improvement. I also removed the spacer as they engage too early unloaded. Actually that spacer on the factory bump stops and a longer bolt may have achieved a similar result and I woulda had enough left over to take the wife out to dinner.

20200708_203000_HDR.jpg

OP
OP

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d recommend putting the spacer back in, they’re there to make sure the sumo spring sits flat. The frame as small protrusions that prevent the large metal washer from sitting flat.
i actually ended up cutting the first rib of the sumo spring off. This allows the leaf spring some more movement, unloaded, allowing for a softer ride. huge improvement on ride quality doing this.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I’d recommend putting the spacer back in, they’re there to make sure the sumo spring sits flat. The frame as small protrusions that prevent the large metal washer from sitting flat.
i actually ended up cutting the first rib of the sumo spring off. This allows the leaf spring some more movement, unloaded, allowing for a softer ride. huge improvement on ride quality doing this.
I bought the Sumo Springs also. The Blue one is the lowest duty one (1000 Lbs), the black one medium (1500 Lbs) and then the yellow heavy duty one (2000 Lbs).
I have the black one. I don't have my truck yet from Ford (back order....), but contacted Sumo Spring after reading this Thread. I was concerned about stiffness!
They told me you can safely remove the spacer (1/2" thick one), but keep the washer.
You can also cut the lower bump off if you want, but this mod voids the warranty.
I have a heavy RV to tow once the truck arrives (5,300 Lbs), why I bought this in the first place.
I will post what I end up doing with the Spring once I finally get my rig.......

OP
OP

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the Sumo Springs also. The Blue one is the lowest duty one (1000 Lbs), the black one medium (1500 Lbs) and then the yellow heavy duty one (2000 Lbs).
I have the black one. I don't have my truck yet from Ford (back order....), but contacted Sumo Spring after reading this Thread. I was concerned about stiffness!
They told me you can safely remove the spacer (1/2" thick one), but keep the washer.
You can also cut the lower bump off if you want, but this mod voids the warranty.
I have a heavy RV to tow once the truck arrives (5,300 Lbs), why I bought this in the first place.
I will post what I end up doing with the Spring once I finally get my rig.......
Living up in Canada, most manufacture’s warranties mean nothing anyways, as you typically end up paying shipping both ways.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I had the Timbrens on my previous Tacoma. I pulled a 20’ flatbed with 2 Polaris RZR’s When the truck was empty, the Timbrens were not engaged and it was like they weren’t even there. Pulling the trailer with the 2 RZR’s caused the Timbrens to be fully engaged and they worked very well. The issue was when I pulled the flatbed empty. In this case, the trailer tongue weight was not enough to fully engage the Timbrens and the ride was awful. LOL - I am surprised I didn’t knock a few fillings loose. Next time I would go to the Firestone airbags, or try the Sumo’s.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Since you dont have the truck yet I say dont install the sump springs unroll you after you tow. You will be impressed with what our trucks can do stock. I just towed with the Old Man EMU lift and was towing abput 5,500 lbs and it did well. That is my suggestion.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I regularity tow a lot with my ranger. I currently have a box cap on it that’s adds weight too. I’ve been looking into Sumo Springs and Timbrens as a way to help the ride when loaded up, has anyone had direct experience with them on their ranger? My other vehicles have all had air bags, and I’m no longer interested in them, after having to chase down leaks at -40C, I’d like something I don’t have to worry about anymore.
Ideally, I’d be installing some OME leaf packs, but it’s just out of the budget right now, and I really don’t want any additional lift at this time either.
I can't say on how well the truck does stock for towing but I just towed up to 5500 lb with the old man emu lift. I can say that the right quality was still pretty nice overall and I was able to take the road with confidence. I don't have any load helpers especially since my truck does go off road. I just have the standard lift kit since I don't have any other equipment either and I can say it was well worth it. I just started the thread on it and you can see how well the truck sets with my Z loaded up on an auto transport buy U-Haul.

Silver Surfer

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to see how you guys with sumos or timbrens still like them. I've never messed with my suspension before but since I tow close to max payload and tongue weight I figure installing aftermarket springs might help stability and suspension longevity.

I'm close to buying the sumo springs but go back and forth on if I should do 1000lb or 1500lb...hmm. I often tow a 5500-6000lb trailer with 650-750 loaded hitch weight and maybe 100lbs in the bed forward of the rear axle. Any reason to go to the 1500lb springs?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious to see how you guys with sumos or timbrens still like them. I've never messed with my suspension before but since I tow close to max payload and tongue weight I figure installing aftermarket springs might help stability and suspension longevity.

I'm close to buying the sumo springs but go back and forth on if I should do 1000lb or 1500lb...hmm. I often tow a 5500-6000lb trailer with 650-750 loaded hitch weight and maybe 100lbs in the bed forward of the rear axle. Any reason to go to the 1500lb springs?
If that is the case why not just go with a weight distribution hitch? Will do the same type of thing and wont mess with vehicle suspension.
Sponsored