Sumo springs?

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
Curious to see how you guys with sumos or timbrens still like them. I've never messed with my suspension before but since I tow close to max payload and tongue weight I figure installing aftermarket springs might help stability and suspension longevity.

I'm close to buying the sumo springs but go back and forth on if I should do 1000lb or 1500lb...hmm. I often tow a 5500-6000lb trailer with 650-750 loaded hitch weight and maybe 100lbs in the bed forward of the rear axle. Any reason to go to the 1500lb springs?
From etrailer...

Is There Any Advantage in Using SumoSprings With Weight Distribution on a 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Question:
have a 2016 toyota tacoma and tow a 23ft travel trailer 4770 lbs. I currently have to weight distribution hitch and trailer and truck are pretty level. My question is their any advantage for adding the the sumo springs?
asked by: Shawn Y
Expert Reply:
Even though the Super Springs SumoSprings # SSR-610-40 will help to keep your 2016 Toyota Tacoma level while towing like a weight distribution system, they are meant to keep your Tacoma from experiencing too much wear and tear while under a load. They can be used with or without a weight distribution setup, and will improve your rear suspension either way. A weight distribution system is geared towards making your whole towing setup more level and safe, where the SumoSprings are a little more focused on your Tacoma.

I recommend adding suspension enhancement, like the SumoSprings, even if you are already using a weight distribution system, to help extend the life of your suspension and to give yourself a more comfortable ride.
Sponsored

Silver Surfer

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
If that is the case why not just go with a weight distribution hitch? Will do the same type of thing and wont mess with vehicle suspension.
I use one but thought springs might help with the beating my Ranger takes hauling a trailer all over the place

Silver Surfer

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
From etrailer...

Is There Any Advantage in Using SumoSprings With Weight Distribution on a 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Question:
have a 2016 toyota tacoma and tow a 23ft travel trailer 4770 lbs. I currently have to weight distribution hitch and trailer and truck are pretty level. My question is their any advantage for adding the the sumo springs?
asked by: Shawn Y
Expert Reply:
Even though the Super Springs SumoSprings # SSR-610-40 will help to keep your 2016 Toyota Tacoma level while towing like a weight distribution system, they are meant to keep your Tacoma from experiencing too much wear and tear while under a load. They can be used with or without a weight distribution setup, and will improve your rear suspension either way. A weight distribution system is geared towards making your whole towing setup more level and safe, where the SumoSprings are a little more focused on your Tacoma.

I recommend adding suspension enhancement, like the SumoSprings, even if you are already using a weight distribution system, to help extend the life of your suspension and to give yourself a more comfortable ride.
Thanks for linking that, the guys at etrailer always seem pretty knowledgeable.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have quite a bit of towing stock with the FX4, much of it with a heavy travel trailer (6K). I'm installing blue sumo's and Fox shocks on all four corners, I'll definitely come back and report when I get it done.

Going to set the Fox coilovers to stock +.5-1" because I'm not buying tires for a long time.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I have quite a bit of towing stock with the FX4, much of it with a heavy travel trailer (6K). I'm installing blue sumo's and Fox shocks on all four corners, I'll definitely come back and report when I get it done.

Going to set the Fox coilovers to stock +.5-1" because I'm not buying tires for a long time.
Any news on your set up?
Did you take the trailer out yet?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't get the old bumpstops off to put the sumosprings on. They will just sit in the box until I can get the truck on a lift to remove the bolt I rounded out wile trying to remove the factory ones....

cactuss4

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
I installed the blue Sumos and Bilstein 5100s then took out an open car trailer (~5k # loaded) that I have used before. Much better handling over bumps and a lot less of the trailer pushing the rear of the truck around. Majority of the squat is gone.
I did not install the 1/2in spacers so the helper is not touching unloaded. Ride unloaded is noticeably harsher over bumps. I made two changes at once though, so was the harshness the helpers or the shocks?

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I installed the blue Sumos and Bilstein 5100s then took out an open car trailer (~5k # loaded) that I have used before. Much better handling over bumps and a lot less of the trailer pushing the rear of the truck around. Majority of the squat is gone.
I did not install the 1/2in spacers so the helper is not touching unloaded. Ride unloaded is noticeably harsher over bumps. I made two changes at once though, so was the harshness the helpers or the shocks?
One member here cut the lower piece off the sumo. Sumo Spring says that it can be done with no issues.
It helped him with the harshness because it didn't engage as often/quickly when not trailering....
What color did you get?
Blue is light, Black is light/medium/heavy duty and Yellow is medium/heavy duty.

cactuss4

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
One member here cut the lower piece off the sumo. Sumo Spring says that it can be done with no issues.
It helped him with the harshness because it didn't engage as often/quickly when not trailering....
What color did you get?
Blue is light, Black is light/medium/heavy duty and Yellow is medium/heavy duty.
Blue, so lightest. Didn't install with the spacer hoping it would be enough, but it hasn't been bad enough to do something about it yet. Going to swap the OEM 110 load range tires for 116, so thinking it is going to get worse. If it does become enough of an annoyance, I may swap to bags I can air down while not towing.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Anyone here have experience with upgraded rear shocks vs Sumo/Timbrens to compare? What I mean by that is, has anyone upgraded one before the other, or switched from one to the other, to know which of the two upgrades has the larger effect overall?

I have Eibach's in the rear, and am interested in Sumos or Timbrens, but I wonder if the shocks alone make the bigger difference of the 2 upgrades. If so, then maybe I won't bother adding Sumos or Timbrens. If you say Sumos or Timbrens made a biggere difference than shocks, then maybe I'll go for them.

I am picking up a larger travel trailer on Wed, so I don't yet know how the ride is. Just trying getting ideas..

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I haven't done sumo's but as crap as the rebound damping is on the stock shocks, I'd MUCH rather have a better shock as the first upgrade. The factory shocks can't even properly damp the leaf springs, let alone some additional spring rate from new bump stops.

MIRangerfam

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Construction and Bartender
I went to RC N3 shocks in the rear until I figured out what I want to get long term… then I put on the blue (1000lb) sumos. RC are known to be harsher shocks, but helped a ton. It would hit a bump, firmly- the harshness came from the bumpstop- then settle. Stock… it would softly bounce and bounce then finally slow down. After the sumos it rides firm with no harshness. Instead of a rough bumpstop… it’s firm and settles down immediately. I have a couple hundred lbs of constant weight in the bed, so i can’t comment on unloaded, but it is very tame and the improvement from both upgrades are very noticeable.

If you tow most of the time- Timbren’s or air bags
If you off-road most of the time- leafs & RR2.5’s w/ better bumpstop
If you are in the middle and don’t want to break the bank- get any aftermarket shock RC, Bilstein, Eibach etc etc and SumoSprings.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Anyone here have experience with upgraded rear shocks vs Sumo/Timbrens to compare? What I mean by that is, has anyone upgraded one before the other, or switched from one to the other, to know which of the two upgrades has the larger effect overall?

I have Eibach's in the rear, and am interested in Sumos or Timbrens, but I wonder if the shocks alone make the bigger difference of the 2 upgrades. If so, then maybe I won't bother adding Sumos or Timbrens. If you say Sumos or Timbrens made a biggere difference than shocks, then maybe I'll go for them.

I am picking up a larger travel trailer on Wed, so I don't yet know how the ride is. Just trying getting ideas..
I think I'm going to try the Sumos now, if I can find them in stock somewhere. The Eibach's help with the bouncing and increasing tire pressure helps the side-to-side a bit, but I think I'd like to see if the Sumos help more with that.

My WDH helps get rid of the vast majority of sway, especially from other vehicles and semis on the road, however it could always be better on especially windy days on the highway.

What really sent me looking again was last night I loaded some stuff into the back of the truck and noticed just how much the rear can move side-to-side just from me standing in the back and moving things around. Tires were at 40psi and I was still surprised.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Those of you who tow heavy trailers might want to look at a Roadmaster Active Suspension setup.
Its bolt on and forget, takes the place of airbags, swaybars, helper springs, traction bars.
I'm towing a 6500 lb trailer, approx 700 lb tongue weight. Only modification are Eibach rear shocks and the Roadmaster set up. It's a passive system while the truck is empty, but comes into its own when you start to load the bed and/or add heavy trailer. Does not affect the ride quality...improves it.
Check their web sit (specifically their site)...lots of good info and feed back.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm going to try the Sumos now, if I can find them in stock somewhere. The Eibach's help with the bouncing and increasing tire pressure helps the side-to-side a bit, but I think I'd like to see if the Sumos help more with that.

My WDH helps get rid of the vast majority of sway, especially from other vehicles and semis on the road, however it could always be better on especially windy days on the highway.

What really sent me looking again was last night I loaded some stuff into the back of the truck and noticed just how much the rear can move side-to-side just from me standing in the back and moving things around. Tires were at 40psi and I was still surprised.
I will sell you my blue ones. They have never been installed because my bolt rusted in place and I rounded it off. They have been sitting in the box in my garage ever since. They changed color to black, but they are the blue ones.
Sponsored