First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I will sell you my blue ones. They have never been installed because my bolt rusted in place and I rounded it off. They have been sitting in the box in my garage ever since. They changed color to black, but they are the blue ones.
I'll PM you about this in a little while
Sponsored

Ranger RickV85

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Hi all,

I want to say that this thread is great and helped me make a decision on going with the blue Sumo Springs in the rear for my Ranger. But unfortunately, they just aren't for me and I'd like to offer them up for $100 after being on my truck for about 6 months with only with occasional towing. Here's my review of them and who I think they are best for.

Install is generally easy but you might also want to disconnect the shocks to get more axel droop, making it easier to get the 6" extension and socket in the Sumo Spring. Yes, the factory bump stop is a bit of a pain to get out, but soaking it in Liquid Wrench definitely helped. I'd say plan on an hour, maybe more if you have rusty bump stops.

I used these both with and without the spacer and liked the way it drove (unloaded) without the spacer more, but you get more abrupt feedback from medium and big bumps when there's no weight in the bed. This is the main reason I took them off and leads me to who I think these are best suited to. Surprisingly, they are almost unnoticeable when off-road on easy to medium difficulty trails, but I only did a couple trails with them. They likely decrease articulation a decent amount just due to their height, which is bad for harder trails where that becomes more important.

I think these Sumo Springs are going to be best for someone that always has weight in the bed (permanent camper set up, heavy rack systems, contractor tool boxes, etc.) or are towing pretty often and without weight distribution. I think they prevent body roll very well and that is great for someone with a large/tall camper set up in the bed which raises the truck's center of gravity. They are great at preventing sag for heavy loads or tongue weights as well. Buy these if this is you! Like others have said, you also will want to get new rear shocks with better rebound control for this increased spring rate.

I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with about a 600 pound tongue weight. I bought these mainly to make the truck drive more stably on the highway, especially with cross wind. They do help a bit for that, but not as much as I would have liked. With a weight distribution set up, it seems that the increased spring rate from the Sumo Springs makes the trailer bounce quite a lot more. I have installed new Billstein shocks and this has helped with the stability along with increased tire pressure.

Let me know if you might be interested in these lightly used blue Sumo Springs and I hope this was helpful!

Reactions: EJH

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I think many of you are comparing or thinking the Sumo's are "springs", but they are not. They are to replace the OE bump stops, which are nothing more than a cushion to prevent metal to metal contact between the frame and the rear end when under full compression.
The OE stops are short and compress very easily and under a heavy load will almost compress totally, leaving no room to stop the "slap" of frame to rear end....the Sumo's are longer, and made of a different material that compresses much differently.
Easiest way to compare them is to think of very compressible open cell foam with closed cell memory foam. The Sumo's will compress, but will also cushion at the same time.
I have the Blue Sumo's on me Ranger, tow a very heavy trailer, with a 700 lb tongue weight, and they are, along with the shock up grade, the best way to go.
When you are running your truck empty, the Sumo's are probably not even touching the rear end.
Sponsored