First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Here is the stock air box vs. the K&N. and a picture of it installed.

COI1.jpg

COI2.jpg
Honeycomb has been really in fashion lately. Such a nice design.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
My truck does it also.

"The reason for backfiring being common on a turbo vehicle is the fact that for all that extra air a turbo pushes into the engine it must also get more fuel. When your foot lets off the gas there is more raw unburnt fuel coming out of the cylinder head and flash igniting which causes the sound of a backfire"

OP
OP
billwinkle

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
My truck does it also.

"The reason for backfiring being common on a turbo vehicle is the fact that for all that extra air a turbo pushes into the engine it must also get more fuel. When your foot lets off the gas there is more raw unburnt fuel coming out of the cylinder head and flash igniting which causes the sound of a backfire"
I kind of figured that, but I still wanted to see if others had seen the same with theirs.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
My truck does it also.

Could you provide a link to where you obtained this data?

Thanks

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Is the tune you're running factoring in the different air box? I thought the Ford performance tune came with a K&N replacement panel that kept the factory air box.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
OP
OP
billwinkle

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
Yes all pipes are nice and tight. And it will take a few runs to get the computer to adjust to the new air flow or exhaust pressure.
Also I have blocked off about 60% of the interior intake box lid to see if it makes a difference. Will take it out tomorrow to see how it goes.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Yes all pipes are nice and tight. And it will take a few runs to get the computer to adjust to the new air flow or exhaust pressure.
Also I have blocked off about 60% of the interior intake box lid to see if it makes a difference. Will take it out tomorrow to see how it goes.
Severe air restrictions in the intake will cause a backfire.
Edit. You can never have to much airflow but not enough is a big problem.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I still have stock exhaust. And it did not backfire until the cold air intake. I am thinking of closing off the lid. it has a filter and I do not like the idea of pulling hot engine air inside my intake.
What do you mean close off the lid? And why would it be pulling in hot air? This alone led me to believe you had the lid off. Which if I'm not mistaken is a ram intake, which sucks lol.

How did you block off 60% of the interior intake box lid?

I have a Mishimoto performance intake and filter with a MBRP exhaust and I unfortunately don't get any pops lol I would like one pop but not a whole crackling thing going on

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
What do you mean close off the lid? And why would it be pulling in hot air? This alone led me to believe you had the lid off. Which if I'm not mistaken is a ram intake, which sucks lol.

How did you block off 60% of the interior intake box lid?

I have a Mishimoto performance intake and filter with a MBRP exhaust and I unfortunately don't get any pops lol I would like one pop but not a whole crackling thing going on
The lid of the K&N is THE worst design of all Ranger intakes. It is an open element design, with a foam mesh in the lid as a pre-filter that allows the intake to gobble up gobs of 200+ deg engine air heat when the hood is closed. Funny, that’s not how they dynoed their test truck to get that +14 Hp they claim.

For all intents and purposes, it is a hot air intake. Might as well just strap a cone filter onto the end of the factory accordion intake tube for $50 vs the $300+ for the K&N intake.
Ingestion of that hot air is messing with the AFR and causing the backfires, no doubt.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
The lid of the K&N is THE worst design of all Ranger intakes. It is an open element design, with a foam mesh in the lid as a pre-filter that allows the intake to gobble up gobs of 200+ deg engine air heat when the hood is closed. Funny, that’s not how they dynoed their test truck to get that +14 Hp they claim.

For all intents and purposes, it is a hot air intake. Might as well just strap a cone filter onto the end of the factory accordion intake tube for $50 vs the $300+ for the K&N intake.
Ingestion of that hot air is messing with the AFR and causing the backfires, no doubt.
Could you theoretically wrap it with heat wrap creating a better seal at the top to reduce the hot air ingestion? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just wondering.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the FPP tune but not the filter, no backfires. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in but I don't think our trucks should be backfiring?
I did run the K&N for a couple of months after flashing the FFP tune but then returned to the stock Motorcraft filter, not because of any (noticeable) problems, but because I was concerned about the "freer-flow" K&N letting more particles "freely flow" into my engine.
Sponsored