Backfiring after installing K&N filter

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Could you theoretically wrap it with heat wrap creating a better seal at the top to reduce the hot air ingestion? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just wondering.
Good thought. The way it’s designed the best option would be to use Kydex or similar rigid sheet plastic to form a replacement insert to go on top of or go in place of the foam insert in the K&N airbox lid. I’ve considered getting the intake and doing this myself as everything else about their design is top notch, but just bugs me that I would have to mod it out of the box.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Good thought. The way it’s designed the best option would be to use Kydex or similar rigid sheet plastic to form a replacement insert to go on top of or go in place of the foam insert in the K&N airbox lid. I’ve considered getting the intake and doing this myself as everything else about their design is top notch, but just bugs me that I would have to mod it out of the box.
At that point just go back to the stock OEM box. It's pulling all the air through the small opening, just like the stock air filter housing.

OP
OP
billwinkle

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
The lid was never off as that would have been a horrible way to run my intake. I have sealed off around 60% of the lid to see how the engine reacts. I do not like the idea of hot air entering my intake. I checked the temperature after my last run of the day (before I sealed the lid) and the intake box was running 140 degrees the same as the rest of the engine compartment. Only the turbo was much hotter at 205. I will report back this afternoon when we get back from the Scottish festival our town is putting on. Can't wait for the Caber toss.
I do love the performance of my Ranger after installing the Ford programming. I may just go back to the stock air box if I do not get the results from the K&N I was hoping for.

OP
OP
billwinkle

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What do you mean close off the lid? And why would it be pulling in hot air? This alone led me to believe you had the lid off. Which if I'm not mistaken is a ram intake, which sucks lol.

How did you block off 60% of the interior intake box lid?

I have a Mishimoto performance intake and filter with a MBRP exhaust and I unfortunately don't get any pops lol I would like one pop but not a whole crackling thing going on
It is easy to seal off the lid. It comprises 3 pieces the lid, filter, and frame. All I did was take a piece of heavy plastic an tape it between the filter and the frame. The frame has a grid of 9 spaces, I sealed off six. Once again the lid was never off, that would have been crazy. Do you like the MBRP exhaust? How is the sound?

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
It is easy to seal off the lid. It comprises 3 pieces the lid, filter, and frame. All I did was take a piece of heavy plastic an tape it between the filter and the frame. The frame has a grid of 9 spaces, I sealed off six. Once again the lid was never off, that would have been crazy. Do you like the MBRP exhaust? How is the sound?
Thanks, i think I have a better understanding. You're saying the lid itself let's in air, so not only does air go in thru the front scoop, but also the top. Anything from the top is going to be scorching hot. Idk why they did this. The temperature of the air is important because colder air from outside the engine bay is more dense and there is a temperature sensor so it knows.

Mishimoto really looked into the the stock air intake design, and quite frankly, it's pretty stout! You can read about it here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/03/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt1/

Then they began flow testing of the stock box and found that the more air brought into the stock box the more restrictive it was, specifically for us with our turbos at 15 pounds of boost it was 10x restrictive. They found the filter and elbow after the box to be the most restrictive part. The elbow has ribs that are almost and inch deep which reduces the diameter and creates turbulent air flow. (When calculating mass flow rate, the roughness of whatever pipe or tube you are running through comes into the equation, the less rough or more smooth the walls are the faster the flow.) You can read it here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/05/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt2/

Then they go on to design and test it. You can read that here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/06/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt3/

Running this intake + a less restrictive exhaust + premium fuel, you get a lot of bang with the turbo.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
The lid was never off as that would have been a horrible way to run my intake. I have sealed off around 60% of the lid to see how the engine reacts. I do not like the idea of hot air entering my intake. I checked the temperature after my last run of the day (before I sealed the lid) and the intake box was running 140 degrees the same as the rest of the engine compartment. Only the turbo was much hotter at 205. I will report back this afternoon when we get back from the Scottish festival our town is putting on. Can't wait for the Caber toss.
I do love the performance of my Ranger after installing the Ford programming. I may just go back to the stock air box if I do not get the results from the K&N I was hoping for.
I’m sorry you had to experience first hand what K&N should have made very clear in their advertising “Intake lid consists of an open element design for greater airflow”

The pics of it look like a solid plastic. Deceiving unless you read their install instructions.

OP
OP
billwinkle

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m sorry you had to experience first hand what K&N should have made very clear in their advertising “Intake lid consists of an open element design for greater airflow”

The pics of it look like a solid plastic. Deceiving unless you read their install instructions.
It has been quite an experience with this one. I decided to close off more than 80% of the lid to see how it goes. BTW warning: do not try too hard to push the air temp sensor into the grommet while the box is in the truck. I managed to push the grommet into the intake tube. It traveled all the way to the turbo. It took the wife and I almost 4 hours to fish it out. Fortunately I have a pipe camera to help spot the sucker it went all the way to the impeller. We tried to vacuum it out, not luck. Finally took a 4 strand piece of wire and bend each end back into a fish type hook. Caught it on the second try. Duh wont do that again. LOL

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
You mean you got that good gurgle/pooping when you let off? Man just enjoy that s#%t lol.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Thanks, i think I have a better understanding. You're saying the lid itself let's in air, so not only does air go in thru the front scoop, but also the top. Anything from the top is going to be scorching hot. Idk why they did this. The temperature of the air is important because colder air from outside the engine bay is more dense and there is a temperature sensor so it knows.

Mishimoto really looked into the the stock air intake design, and quite frankly, it's pretty stout! You can read about it here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/03/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt1/

Then they began flow testing of the stock box and found that the more air brought into the stock box the more restrictive it was, specifically for us with our turbos at 15 pounds of boost it was 10x restrictive. They found the filter and elbow after the box to be the most restrictive part. The elbow has ribs that are almost and inch deep which reduces the diameter and creates turbulent air flow. (When calculating mass flow rate, the roughness of whatever pipe or tube you are running through comes into the equation, the less rough or more smooth the walls are the faster the flow.) You can read it here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/05/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt2/

Then they go on to design and test it. You can read that here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/06/ford-ranger-intake-2019-rd-pt3/

Running this intake + a less restrictive exhaust + premium fuel, you get a lot of bang with the turbo.
I read through those blog posts and came away thinking their intake should give more performance than their testing showed, even with the tune.

Then I wondered if some intake elbow mod to smooth airflow - like a liner - might be an idea.

I don't see where the K&N is better, though I like the honeycomb theme.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I read through those blog posts and came away thinking their intake should give more performance than their testing showed, even with the tune.

Then I wondered if some intake elbow mod to smooth airflow - like a liner - might be an idea.

I don't see where the K&N is better, though I like the honeycomb theme.
Yea I thought the same when I saw the amount of hp and torque gained. But there is a bright side. The Mishimoto performance intake is a great foundation if you want to add a bigger turbo, 3" down pipe, intercooler with bigger pipes, 3" exhaust, and a tune for some serious gains.

Some guys did it. (This was before Mishimoto released their intercooler, but these guys did run the Mishimoto intercooler pipes.)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

It’s very deceiving when I commented nice honey comb design I didn’t know it was open element design, thought it was just a full cover lid with the honeycomb.
Sponsored