Discarding K&N filter after getting FP ecoboost tune?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I'd still buy the Ford Performance tune. To be sure, it is possible to get more horse power and torque with other tune setups. Which incidentally, cost as much, but do offer a lower performance—lower octane tune. But make a few other low-cost (relatively speaking) additions, and you'll worry more about tire wear, than the cost of the fuel!
Sponsored

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
If you do get the tune I would advise not installing it till after 10K And two oil changes. Might as well start putting premium in it first thing and get used to it.
Curious why you advise waiting to 10k miles?

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If I had it to do all over again I would not buy the FP tune. It's cost (I bought from Levittown cheapest at the time) combined with the added cost of always buying premium compared to the power gains achieved. I say it ain't worth the money.

Ranger is plenty fast bone stock.
FP tune doesn't a provide a big enough boost in power to justify its initial or ongoing added expense.

My 2 cents

Personally. I wouldn't ever use a k&n filter on any engine with an air mass meter or a turbocharger

AFE makes a really nice dry synthetic media filter. Clean it with soap and water.

If you do get the tune I would advise not installing it till after 10K And two oil changes. Might as well start putting premium in it first thing and get used to it.
Would you get any tune or do you just feel in stock form the ranger is more than adequate?

just curious as I am constantly back and forth on which tune to get.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Would you get any tune or do you just feel in stock form the ranger is more than adequate?

just curious as I am constantly back and forth on which tune to get.
John, Ill give you my .02.

I was also on the fence and followed the different opinions on Livernois, Unleashed and 5 Star tunes. I finally pulled the trigger and went with Livernois.

Along with the increased power what really is impressive is how the tune "wakes" up the truck. I like the improvement in shift points (some don't) and the overall smoothness with acceleration. The shifts are a bit harsh at first after installing the tune but get better. Sport mode is really improved.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
If I had it to do all over again I would not buy the FP tune. It's cost (I bought from Levittown cheapest at the time) combined with the added cost of always buying premium compared to the power gains achieved. I say it ain't worth the money.

Ranger is plenty fast bone stock.
FP tune doesn't a provide a big enough boost in power to justify its initial or ongoing added expense.

My 2 cents

Personally. I wouldn't ever use a k&n filter on any engine with an air mass meter or a turbocharger

AFE makes a really nice dry synthetic media filter. Clean it with soap and water.

More than worth it for me. I would hate the transmission and lugging without it. I agree the K&N is a bad idea. Maybe you should remove the tune and see how bad you miss it.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
Ditto. Have FP tune with paper filter too. IMO runs better with the paper filter. Since speed density tuning assigns a predefined fueling value to predefined rpm cell at WOT, if the tune is expecting a higher airflow volume at that predefined RPM with a K&N and you reduce the airflow at that predefined RPM by using a paper filter, then theoretically you have created a slightly richer AFR. I noticed difference going to paper from K&N with the FP tune with low end response and I liked it. My open OEM downpipe backfires a lil bit on off throttle slowdowns now and I love that too.

I also did the math and when removing the plastic grill on the back side of the filter you free up 13% more filtering area / flow capability.

1E2FE213-8C41-44C1-8C9B-11B0C1616A45.jpeg

Final thought, changed my paper filter at 6k and was amazed at the fine silt I knocked out of it (see pic below). Made me so glad no K&N. Turbo cars ingest such large volumes of air over their N/A counterparts that dust loading a filter becomes a factor very quickly depending on environment.

124BDF7C-0922-460B-BB5B-6E935759BB83.jpeg
Interesting thread and good contribution. I have the FP tune and always intended to switch back to the original paper element at my first oil change (my truck was delivered with the tune and the dealer insisted on installing the filter against my request). I think I'm going to bump that up the priority list though. Does that plastic grill prevent the filter from collapsing when the turbo pulls on it though?

Also for anyone wondering about K&N's performance on fine particles, search YouTube for the "flour test". ? They suck with fine stuff, which makes complete sense. You can't have better flow without worse filtration. The only way to go is a larger filter with more surface area. In my opinion, K&N and most/all other drop in filters is just marketing hype. The extra like 1hp you might get isn't worth a decrease in filtration quality IMO.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Interesting thread and good contribution. I have the FP tune and always intended to switch back to the original paper element at my first oil change (my truck was delivered with the tune and the dealer insisted on installing the filter against my request). I think I'm going to bump that up the priority list though. Does that plastic grill prevent the filter from collapsing when the turbo pulls on it though?

Also for anyone wondering about K&N's performance on fine particles, search YouTube for the "flour test". ? They suck with fine stuff, which makes complete sense. You can't have better flow without worse filtration. The only way to go is a larger filter with more surface area. In my opinion, K&N and most/all other drop in filters is just marketing hype. The extra like 1hp you might get isn't worth a decrease in filtration quality IMO.
It does not keep it from collapsing. The glue strips on front side do that. And as far as it perhaps straightening airflow through filer, not needed either as the airbox has a velocity stack that does that and there’s no MAF that is sensitive to smooth airflow either.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
It does not keep it from collapsing. The glue strips on front side do that. And as far as it perhaps straightening airflow through filer, not needed either as the airbox has a velocity stack that does that and there’s no MAF that is sensitive to smooth airflow either.
I'm going to check things out when I swap the original filter back in. I may do the same as well.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
PSX_20210915_162422.jpg

I got this paper cone with the Mishimoto CAI.

The extra time and money to maintain an oiled filer just isn't worth it, personally.

Got one of their stickers on my garage cabinets though! ?
How do you like that CAI? Did you notice much more power or throttle response? Thinking of getting either that or the Roush CAI.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
How do you like that CAI? Did you notice much more power or throttle response? Thinking of getting either that or the Roush CAI.
I have Roush CAI. Very happy with it. Easy install as it’s only top half of air box. However, if I were to do it over again I would try out the Mishimoto CAI. I like their transparency on the R&D. Gives more confidence there’s actual science behind it.

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4×4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
I'm really happy with the Mishi CAI, though I can't say I noticed a difference in acceleration from it specifically. The tune made all the difference there. The Mishi intake just looks less restrictive to my unqualified eyes.
Sponsored