Discarding K&N filter after getting FP ecoboost tune?

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like pollen dust. If your air filter looks like that so does your cabin filter too!
I would think the cabin air filter does not look as bad if the air is always on recycle In the windows are rarely down. Just my opinion. I have 15,600 on mine and so I will check that out over the next couple days and update, if I remember.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WNCblueridge

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
So you installed the K&N filter initially then worried yourself so much that you took it out without any evidence that it was causing a problem?

I have run K&N cone style filters on all my ATV's and never had a problem. The abuse these filters saw was much worse then anything a pickup experiences. Keep it clean and oiled and you will not have a problem.

OP
OP
WNCblueridge

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Pretty much, yeah... No I've used several K&N filters for other vehicles. Also realize you can easily go down the rabbit with various opinions on this topic. If it was natural aspiration vehicle then I wouldn't think twice about using it. This is my first turbo ever and will be relying on this Ranger for primary commute every day and need it to be reliable well beyond 60,000 miles. I do think the K&N does def increase air flow and truck is not chocked up with it installed.

OP
OP
WNCblueridge

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Ditto. Have FP tune with paper filter too. IMO runs better with the paper filter. Since speed density tuning assigns a predefined fueling value to predefined rpm cell at WOT, if the tune is expecting a higher airflow volume at that predefined RPM with a K&N and you reduce the airflow at that predefined RPM by using a paper filter, then theoretically you have created a slightly richer AFR. I noticed difference going to paper from K&N with the FP tune with low end response and I liked it. My open OEM downpipe backfires a lil bit on off throttle slowdowns now and I love that too.

I also did the math and when removing the plastic grill on the back side of the filter you free up 13% more filtering area / flow capability.

1E2FE213-8C41-44C1-8C9B-11B0C1616A45.jpeg

Final thought, changed my paper filter at 6k and was amazed at the fine silt I knocked out of it (see pic below). Made me so glad no K&N. Turbo cars ingest such large volumes of air over their N/A counterparts that dust loading a filter becomes a factor very quickly depending on environment.

124BDF7C-0922-460B-BB5B-6E935759BB83.jpeg
Exactly my concerns. Always varied opinions reg air flow vs filtration but since this is my only turbo engine vehicle then I will err on side of caution with the factory filter. Truck does not feel chocked up so gonna ride with it.

bzmotoninja83

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2014 Focus 2000 Explorer 1987 Goldwing
With all these people dropping the high flow k&n in favor of the paper filter or, some other brand, there's gotta be someone that has a k&n sitting in the garage taking up valuable space in your empire of dirt.
Allow me to free up some space for ya.
I'd like to buy one for $30 or so shipped

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have seen a couple of independent tests of air filters performed to SAE test methods.

In simple terms stock paper filters are about 98% efficient at removing dirt from the air stream, the dry performance filters like AFE are about 96% efficient and K&N are about 94% efficient. In those same tests you can just flip the order in regards to air flow. Don't recall the pressure drop numbers but they were similarly small differences. The results for how long the filter lasts before it has collected enough dirt to start restricting air flow had more widely varying results with each filter type coming out on top. But in any case you can replace or clean more often making that a non issue.

I have been using drop in K&N type filters in my vehicles since the mid 80s because I'm the long run they save me a buck. I have never noticed a performance increase but they also satisfy my hot rodder desire to modify for a potential performance increase. I had one turbo card with 176,000 miles on it when the head gasket failed and was allowing coolant to leak out of the engine. When I pulled the head you could still see the cross hatch from the honing process when the engine was built. That tells me the air filter was not allowing enough dirt into the engine to cause wear.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I just got the FPP tune installed and went ahead and used the K&N filter. I get in to some dusty areas... but not frequently enough to worry about it.

I've maintained K&N filters before and they're a piece of cake to clean and oil.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I've used both K&N and oild foam filters in the past without any apparent issue, but is a fact, Oiled filters fail open, paper filters fail closed.
You pays your money and takes your chances.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
With all these people dropping the high flow k&n in favor of the paper filter or, some other brand, there's gotta be someone that has a k&n sitting in the garage taking up valuable space in your empire of dirt.
Was thinking the same. Shouldn't the for sale threads be as abundant as, dare I say, nope I won't say it. None the less, k&n filters ought to being given away on this forum. Feel free to pm me.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I dont care for K&N oiled filters, they do pass a lot of debris, so I got a dry filter that probably passes a lot of debris.

I use the AEM dry filter, Stage 3 motorsports has them.

If anybody wants my K&N that came with the Ford Tuner, just pay shipping!!

As a interesting side story, the Honda Indycar engine uses a K&N filter, we started having engines come back (they are leased) with signs of light debris going through the engine, we were suspicious that the teams were deleting the filter, turns out they were washing out the oil, it did give them a performance advantage, but it eroded the valve seats.
A K&N filter even with oil does not filter that well, if there are a lot of crashes and the safety team cleans up the oil with cat litter, it goes right through the filter, one race at Calif Speedway, there were so many crashes that the kitty liter took out all but one Honda engine, no compression, the valve seats were shot, the only reason the one survived was because it has increased valve clearance, (but that's another long story)It did last long enough to allow Scott Dixon to win the drivers championship.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hah. It’s been here since purchase date of truck essentially.. if you really want, we can figure it out. Send me a pm. Running a cone filter so I have no need for it.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
K&N does have a million mile warranty on the filter, but I sort of remember a similar coverage for engines using a K&N filter. But it doesn't matter, if... you service your vehicle regularly! That includes the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, etc. It is called periodic maintenance, in case you're interested!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Well you could always think along the lines of foam filters letting dust past them will help keep your intake valves cleaner.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
For you guys/gals who installed Ford Performance ecoboost tune (Ford Ranger). How many of you decided to discard K&N air filter and use the factory paper filter instead? I initially used the K&N filter a gew weeks but could not justify using it due to insufficient particle filtering concerns, especially fine dust sand in my location. I would love to use the aftermarket filter supplied with tune but needed peace of mind that particulates aren't going to damage any components down stream of the filter and to ensure more longevity from vehicle.
If you like to hear the turbine spin up and the pop off valve hiss install the Injen cold Air intake. https://truckandgear.com/injen/inj-b2e1-pf9071wb.html GOBS more filter area so reduces pumping losses and improves fuel economy. Not sure about how fine it filters too, but mine seems to keep the down stream part of the intake system clean as a whistle. Plus if you want to hurry it will help in that area too.

69/19Ranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1969 Ranger, 2012 Mustang
Occupation
Automotive technician
If I had it to do all over again I would not buy the FP tune. It's cost (I bought from Levittown cheapest at the time) combined with the added cost of always buying premium compared to the power gains achieved. I say it ain't worth the money.

Ranger is plenty fast bone stock.
FP tune doesn't a provide a big enough boost in power to justify its initial or ongoing added expense.

My 2 cents

Personally. I wouldn't ever use a k&n filter on any engine with an air mass meter or a turbocharger

AFE makes a really nice dry synthetic media filter. Clean it with soap and water.

If you do get the tune I would advise not installing it till after 10K And two oil changes. Might as well start putting premium in it first thing and get used to it.
Sponsored