Charging Sys-Question for Phil / Ford Techs / Anybody

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
i am working on a full complete tutorial on how the charging system works, but I need some help. This system is somewhat confusing in regard to the system description given in the Service Manuals. I think I have it down, but I still have some questions.
I would like to create a -one stop posting that covers the whole system, including the trigger voltages that generate most of the issues owners have. I have pieced together a good amount of info, through various sources.
The issue is the system operation is never explained in detail:

I am a former auto tech but have been out of the field professionally for 30 years, so when I dove into this system out of curiosity on how it works, I was met with a ton of explanations from forums and the Service Manuals are very vague. so that leaves me confused on what is FACT and what is FICTION

From the Service Manual:
(Note: Even though this is for a 2020 Ranger, the 80% Ref: here is 75% for our Ranger, I deduced that by 75% is not mentioned anywhere except on this forum and viewed in FORscan. Battery Target SOC 75%, so this is a ref from another platform that did not get changed for the Ranger

Charging System

The PCM controlled Smart Charge charging system determines the optimal voltage setpoint for the charging system and communicates this information to the voltage regulator. The Smart Charge charging system is designed to set a DTC when a charging system fault is present. All of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can set continuous faults, but not all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set as on-demand faults.

The smart regenerative charge system primary strategy is stored in the BCM . The BCM receives information relating to the battery condition from the battery monitoring sensor via a LIN . The BCM calculates and sends the set value needed for the generator charging voltage via the HS-CAN to the PCM . The PCM then adjusts the value received (if necessary) and sends it to the generator via a different LIN . The charging voltage is adjusted depending on various parameters, such as the current level of engine efficiency. The smallest possible set value for the generator voltage is 12.2 volts, while the maximum charging voltage can be anywhere between 14.5 and 14.9 volts. However, when the battery is in a refresh phase, the voltage may occasionally reach up to 15.2 volts. These refresh phases are required when the battery charge status is 80% over long periods of time, which increases the risk of sulfation in the battery cells.

My Question Is: What does this line mean (From Above)

However, when the battery is in a refresh phase, the voltage may occasionally reach up to 15.2 volts. These refresh phases are required when the battery charge status is 80% over long periods of time, which increases the risk of sulfation in the battery cells.

Now, my current understanding of this system is this, but I have varying descriptions and I don't know which one is correct

1. The system will maintain 75% SOC at all times by either increasing or decreasing charging voltage, charge at full charging rate up to 75% and then back off voltage as long as the battery can maintain 75% SOC

2. The charging system is capable of charging past 75% to 100%, at a lower charging voltage, once it reaches 100%, charging voltage is shut off until SOC drops back down to 75% and then the cycle repeats and anything below 75% is full charging voltage

3. The charging system charges to 75% and maintains 75% and then using Smart Reg Charging, during de-acceleration, the generator produces an extra boost charge into the battery thus raising the SOC to 100% which I don't think the Ranger has this feature, like other Ford models and this is the reason for only charging to 75%, leaving 25% buffer for the boost.

4. The system minimum is to always maintain is 75% and is capable of charging past 75% to 100%, if it sits in this range (75-100) for an extended period of time voltage is reduced and this allows the Battey SOC to drop back to 75%

I am thinking either #2 or #4 is correct

So, please help me understand this system, there are hundreds of explanations are over the web, but no definitive answers on how it actually works, only guess work, and I hate guessing on how things work. I am looking for an exact operation of the system

What I am currently doing:
I have a voltmeter, plugged into the PowerPoint, its verified accurate, I monitored the charging levels at 75%, bumped up to 80%, and now am currently on 90% SOC. via FORscan, my 80% test is complete and will revisit 75% as I did not document what the switching voltages were, I just noted what the max voltage was during my drives. So, I was just looking for some answers on this system as to what I should see when I set it back to the factory 75% SOC
I did note that driving at night vs day, makes a difference - Daytime you see more accurate voltage readings (no heavy amp draws)

I am looking for help from anybody that has actually worked with this system
Thanks for your help
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Put simple the Ranger(and many other vehicles) have whats known as a variable voltage system. Unlike much earlier vehicles like my 1993 Pathfinder and 1994 F150 that have a basic voltage system.

A basic voltage system that you are used to eill have the vehicle run at roughly 14.7 volts at all times the vehicle is running.

A variable voltage system will normally run anywhere between 13-14.7 volts during vehicle operation. How is the current voltage determined? Simply put by what ever the current conditions are to the manufacturers parameters are.

In general its not that much of a complex system. It just has the voltage controlled by the ECM/PCM since that is what the manufacturer decided to do. Has it made the system more efficient? Hard for me to say, but i wouldnt worry about it.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Put simple the Ranger(and many other vehicles) have whats known as a variable voltage system. Unlike much earlier vehicles like my 1993 Pathfinder and 1994 F150 that have a basic voltage system.

A basic voltage system that you are used to eill have the vehicle run at roughly 14.7 volts at all times the vehicle is running.

A variable voltage system will normally run anywhere between 13-14.7 volts during vehicle operation. How is the current voltage determined? Simply put by what ever the current conditions are to the manufacturers parameters are.

In general its not that much of a complex system. It just has the voltage controlled by the ECM/PCM since that is what the manufacturer decided to do. Has it made the system more efficient? Hard for me to say, but i wouldnt worry about it.
Yeah it seems some make it to be a "Black Magic System" , I don't like drama or voodoo so I pulled the plug on it. BMS RIP. My tutorial would be simple: locate bms sensor on neg batt , carefully grasp connector, pull and separate. Enjoy extended battery life.

1673199351335.png

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Below from a EE on one of the batt sites, accurate info on AGM - some in contrast to some info on AGM characteristics posted on the internet, have accurate info helps to understand how the BMS is designed to work, agm can accept 15V charging, but even moreso than flooded cell internal resistance increases the closer to full charge so the charging rate needs to be reduced the more the batt approaches full charge. So the BMS is largely designed for ASS cycles plus reduction of alternator load in the interest of enhancing fuel efficiency. And someone IIRC posted that it has an algorthym that increases charging volage as the batt ages but I believe it may actually be the reverse as a batt ages internal resistance increases and higher voltage will result in higher battery temp, would make sense to raise the soc allowed, So my conclusion is that some of the BMS functions may actually result in decreasing battery life.
What is the voltage on the terminal of the battery during charging and being almost fully charged? My AGM 150ah battery gives a 15v reading at this stage, is this ok?
An AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery of the type you are talking about is a nominal 12 Volt device and a slight variation on the standard lead acid battery type. As the name suggests the electrolyte is suspended in a fiber glass mat that’s also the separator between the plates. As such there is less actual electrolyte than found in standard wet lead acid batteries to the point where an AGM battery is also referred to as “starved electrolyte” type. To help prevent electrolyte (usually just the water part of the acid mix) loss, calcium is added to the plate paste, the calcium also assists in making the plate paste stay put a little better. The addition of calcium in any lead acid based battery changes the charge characteristics when compared with the standard battery type. This usually means that a slightly higher voltage is required to achieve the best return of charge to the battery in the shortest time. 15 plus Volts is quite common as a boost voltage for calcium based batteries but the charging device must terminate the boost charge either by current detection and/or by having a time out on the boost cycle (impedance detection methods may also apply). If boost Voltage levels are maintained after a full charge is achieved then heating of the battery is highly likely with a full melt down possible. AGM batteries are not cheap or at least the good ones aren’t so some management is recommended to look after the them. Periodic checking (temperature/Voltage) through the charge cycle should be performed. Good charging devices will have a temperature probe included. Some charging abuse such as maintaining boost for a little too long will be tolerated by a new battery but things go south fairly quickly as the battery ages when such tolerance becomes non existent. The older battery will typically also have a higher tendency to get warm/hot when being charged normally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
My conclusion's thus far:

I fully understand how the system works below 75%, it will control charging voltage to maintain the SOC to 75%, for the sole purpose of fuel economy by reducing the load off of the generator. The theory is if the battery can maintain itself at 75% SOC and provide the needed load then it will maintain 75% SOC.

The Aging Battery Algorithm - As the battery ages the internal resistance of the battery increases, thus requiring an increased voltage to overcome it, note more than one source states that this algorithm actually decreases the charging voltage to keep the battery from overheating. so, this is yet another example of confusing information. The system is programmed to do one or the other. Which one is the correct answer?

AGM Battery, it is a known fact that an AGM Battery, requires a lower charging voltage above 80% SOC, so this brings my main question on the Smart Charge System, how is this addressed, I know the Ranger's system is designed to stay at 75% SOC, most of the time, so how is the charging handled above 75%, I am quite certain that it does not stay at 75%, thus this is what the refresh phase is for, but it does not tell you when this refresh phase is triggered, time frame wise.

So, in a nutshell I am attempting to determine if the system actually charges past 75% to keep the battery refreshed and healthy by using the AGM Battery charging protocols (any charging above 80% requires a lower voltage) I am sure the system does address this, but the description does not tell you how.

So, to see for myself I lowered my Battery Target SOC back down to factory 75%, and I will be closely monitoring the charge levels to hopefully get the answer I am seeking.

My Results so far:

80% - I noted some voltage swaps during my drives and kept battery at 12.7/12.8 volts at shutdown.

90% - Stayed constant voltage (Day/Night) @ 14.3/14.4 and kept battery at 12.8 volts at shutdown, noted zero swapping changes in charge voltage it always stayed constant. so, for me this setting is overcharging the battery as I should see a charge voltage change in day/night. So, at this point I will not go back to 90%, as I can achieve an ending voltage of 12.8 volts at shutdown at the 80% setting and still have some charging voltage control by the system, because at 90% the charging system control is overridden, and it does not even act as an old school conventional system. I should see some kind at voltage change unloaded vs loaded

I will closely monitor factory 75% and report my findings

Thanks

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some mentioned bms is set at 70%, others say 75%, speculation is that lariat maybe be 75% I think ford engineers knew their stuff, but were told to program for mpg efficiency. If my assumption re their competency is correct then I would believe the aging algorithm raises the soc % and lowers the charging voltage . But the little black thing on the batt supposedly senses temp which I would think is more for safety, excessive internal batt temps will rapidly age a battery via sulfation .but if the lariat higher soc is incorrect and people have reported soc of 70% and others 75% might be the algorithm has raised the soc owing to age.

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Some mentioned bms is set at 70%, others say 75%, speculation is that lariat maybe be 75% I think ford engineers knew their stuff, but were told to program for mpg efficiency. If my assumption re their competency is correct then I would believe the aging algorithm raises the soc % and lowers the charging voltage . But the little black thing on the batt supposedly senses temp which I would think is more for safety, excessive internal batt temps will rapidly age a battery via sulfation .but if the lariat higher soc is incorrect and people have reported soc of 70% and others 75% might be the algorithm has raised the soc owing to age.
My Lariat originally read 75% in Forscan. I upped it to 85% and the highest my battery will charge is 12.5V (even with an external NOCO charger). I must have a dying battery :clock:

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I wanted to look at the BCM as built file before I made my change back to 75% but forgot. I want to see exactly which hex code file gets changed, this way I can look at that file and compare the as built files from other trucks, the only thing I can see that would be different is the Lariat has the bigger battery, so that may come into play 70 vs 75

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
i am working on a full complete tutorial on how the charging system works, but I need some help. This system is somewhat confusing in regard to the system description given in the Service Manuals. I think I have it down, but I still have some questions.
I would like to create a -one stop posting that covers the whole system, including the trigger voltages that generate most of the issues owners have. I have pieced together a good amount of info, through various sources.
The issue is the system operation is never explained in detail:

I am a former auto tech but have been out of the field professionally for 30 years, so when I dove into this system out of curiosity on how it works, I was met with a ton of explanations from forums and the Service Manuals are very vague. so that leaves me confused on what is FACT and what is FICTION

From the Service Manual:
(Note: Even though this is for a 2020 Ranger, the 80% Ref: here is 75% for our Ranger, I deduced that by 75% is not mentioned anywhere except on this forum and viewed in FORscan. Battery Target SOC 75%, so this is a ref from another platform that did not get changed for the Ranger

Charging System

The PCM controlled Smart Charge charging system determines the optimal voltage setpoint for the charging system and communicates this information to the voltage regulator. The Smart Charge charging system is designed to set a DTC when a charging system fault is present. All of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can set continuous faults, but not all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set as on-demand faults.

The smart regenerative charge system primary strategy is stored in the BCM . The BCM receives information relating to the battery condition from the battery monitoring sensor via a LIN . The BCM calculates and sends the set value needed for the generator charging voltage via the HS-CAN to the PCM . The PCM then adjusts the value received (if necessary) and sends it to the generator via a different LIN . The charging voltage is adjusted depending on various parameters, such as the current level of engine efficiency. The smallest possible set value for the generator voltage is 12.2 volts, while the maximum charging voltage can be anywhere between 14.5 and 14.9 volts. However, when the battery is in a refresh phase, the voltage may occasionally reach up to 15.2 volts. These refresh phases are required when the battery charge status is 80% over long periods of time, which increases the risk of sulfation in the battery cells.

My Question Is: What does this line mean (From Above)

However, when the battery is in a refresh phase, the voltage may occasionally reach up to 15.2 volts. These refresh phases are required when the battery charge status is 80% over long periods of time, which increases the risk of sulfation in the battery cells.

Now, my current understanding of this system is this, but I have varying descriptions and I don't know which one is correct

1. The system will maintain 75% SOC at all times by either increasing or decreasing charging voltage, charge at full charging rate up to 75% and then back off voltage as long as the battery can maintain 75% SOC

2. The charging system is capable of charging past 75% to 100%, at a lower charging voltage, once it reaches 100%, charging voltage is shut off until SOC drops back down to 75% and then the cycle repeats and anything below 75% is full charging voltage

3. The charging system charges to 75% and maintains 75% and then using Smart Reg Charging, during de-acceleration, the generator produces an extra boost charge into the battery thus raising the SOC to 100% which I don't think the Ranger has this feature, like other Ford models and this is the reason for only charging to 75%, leaving 25% buffer for the boost.

4. The system minimum is to always maintain is 75% and is capable of charging past 75% to 100%, if it sits in this range (75-100) for an extended period of time voltage is reduced and this allows the Battey SOC to drop back to 75%

I am thinking either #2 or #4 is correct

So, please help me understand this system, there are hundreds of explanations are over the web, but no definitive answers on how it actually works, only guess work, and I hate guessing on how things work. I am looking for an exact operation of the system

What I am currently doing:
I have a voltmeter, plugged into the PowerPoint, its verified accurate, I monitored the charging levels at 75%, bumped up to 80%, and now am currently on 90% SOC. via FORscan, my 80% test is complete and will revisit 75% as I did not document what the switching voltages were, I just noted what the max voltage was during my drives. So, I was just looking for some answers on this system as to what I should see when I set it back to the factory 75% SOC
I did note that driving at night vs day, makes a difference - Daytime you see more accurate voltage readings (no heavy amp draws)

I am looking for help from anybody that has actually worked with this system
Thanks for your help
I am wondering if that statement about 80%, should read BELOW vs over 80%, that would make sense and all this drama on this issue would be solved.:like:

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Well, I found it - At least now I know what the bleep the 15.2 Volts is, and it makes sense, but the service manual can really be CONFUSING, why not include this paragraph in the Service Manual
This is for a 2022 Ford Transit - Body and Equip Manual

Ref: This Paragraph from it

The voltages in the above table are approximate as the charging system is dynamic and can vary the voltage at any time. There is also a refresh mode that is activated periodically if the vehicle stands for more than 30 days. This may take the voltage to 15.2V.

See attached

Attachments

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I found it - At least now I know what the bleep the 15.2 Volts is, and it makes sense, but the service manual can really be CONFUSING, why not include this paragraph in the Service Manual
This is for a 2022 Ford Transit - Body and Equip Manual

Ref: This Paragraph from it

The voltages in the above table are approximate as the charging system is dynamic and can vary the voltage at any time. There is also a refresh mode that is activated periodically if the vehicle stands for more than 30 days. This may take the voltage to 15.2V.

See attached
Hi AT,

I have said before....The Ranger Owners manual is a poorly written document.

best,
Phil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun topic to read through. Now I have a headache.
Electro shock therapy will cure that, so long as the device is better programmed than Ford's BMS.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi AT,

I have said before....The Ranger Owners manual is a poorly written document.

best,
Phil
Likely because the authors (tech writers) knew that few bother to read stuff like the BMS, and then there is that youtube video attempting to explain it.

So there is a thread on the site about remembering the past, it might well include a pic of an owner's manaul from the past - a 1950 chevy manual was 32 pages, my Ranger is 500 pages, I am 70 yrs old, began to read the Ranger manual when I purchased it in 2020, hoping to finish it before I expire. I used to tell my wife and daughter to read the owner's manual whenever they got a new car , but life is short and owner's manuals are anything but these days.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Likely because the authors (tech writers) knew that few bother to read stuff like the BMS, and then there is that youtube video attempting to explain it.

So there is a thread on the site about remembering the past, it might well include a pic of an owner's manaul from the past - a 1950 chevy manual was 32 pages, my Ranger is 500 pages, I am 70 yrs old, began to read the Ranger manual when I purchased it in 2020, hoping to finish it before I expire. I used to tell my wife and daughter to read the owner's manual whenever they got a new car , but life is short and owner's manuals are anything but these days.
Hi DT,

It is the responsibility of the Truck Engineering Vehicle Engineering Head that is to blame. He/She must review, make changes and send the changes back to Helm who is pulls together the draft and sends it to Ford. The first draft is just a hodge pouge of and old manual and added pages of what Helm thinks the new manual for the new vehicle needs to be included. There are several iterations back and forth before Vehicle Engineering signs off and this is very late in the program and gets put on the back burner as the vehicle heads toward Job #1. It is a busy time to have to spend the time to get it right.

BTW, I also failed to a degree and missed some minor stuff as it is not easy to remember every detail and system info for the customer. Problem is the time crunch at the 11th hour....

Best,
Phil
Sponsored