Anyone else keep accidentially putting their truck in 4H?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Well done. Thanks for sharing. I am going to send the file to a friend with a printer.
Thanks for the design - now to find somebody to print it... ;-).
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Thanks for the design - now to find somebody to print it... ;-).
I'm getting a buddy to print mine, I'd see if he was interested in printing a few of them, but I think it would be more economical to find someone local and throw them a sixer or a $20.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
It's never happened to me or the wife (unless she's afraid to tell me) and I like the location. Guess since it seems to be common a tougher to turn switch might have been a better design. I'm only 5'5" and the wife 5' so maybe less of a problem for smaller people?

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Well done. Thanks for sharing. I am going to send the file to a friend with a printer.
Great. two quick bits of advice:
When determining the exact orientation of the cage, place it over the knob and then rotate the cage until the upper ring is parallel to the top of the knob. You'll notice that if you set the cage on a table the ring will be slightly sloped with respect to the table. That is because the Ranger selector knob is actually subtly sloped. When you place it just keep turning the cage until everything lines up. Then use that orientation when taping it down.

Second, wipe the center console down with isopropyl alcohol and the feet of the cage with the same. Don't use acetone as some recommend when using VHB tape. It will be very bad for your console.

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm getting a buddy to print mine, I'd see if he was interested in printing a few of them, but I think it would be more economical to find someone local and throw them a sixer or a $20.
Please have at it. I'm not opposed to anyone deciding they want to mass produce these and/or even charge some money for them. Feel free to use the file or modify it etc. It didn't take me that long to make, and I'm completely uninterested in going into the business or hobby of making these things.

Last edited:

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I have done this twice since buying it in September. 1st time I noticed it within a block of travel.
2nd time on the hi way, some fool cut me off while doing 65 with my hand resting near the switch & grabbed the steering wheel.
about 10 miles later I noticed the 4X4 light on the dash. :mad:
I hope nothing got screwed up. :frown:

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I just designed and printed this up. It does a pretty good job of making it difficult to accidentally rotate the knob. You have to reach in under it with the tips of thumb and fingers to rotate the knob. If you have extra meaty fingers it might be a little annoying. Not interested in printing, selling, shipping these etc. But I offer up the file free to all. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4729147 -- Held in place with thin double-face VHB tape.
IMG_2900.JPG
now if you could just design a second version that would stop me activating the wipers while I spin the wheel with my right hand.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know if your buddy is interested in printing another. ;-)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know if your buddy is interested in printing another. ;-)
Is black good? I was thinking of trying to match some of the silver trim with mine, but black is fine I guess.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is black good? I was thinking of trying to match some of the silver trim with mine, but black is fine I guess.
Yes, Black would be fine. I would also entertain silver as I have a Lariat. Thank you.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I have never put my Ranger into 4wd by mistake/accident. I did put an F-150 (2008) into 4wd one time thinking I was turning the radio knob due to the close(ish) proximity.... :crackup: :crackup:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
now if you could just design a second version that would stop me activating the wipers while I spin the wheel with my right hand.
That one I might be interested in. :clap: :like:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I have never put my Ranger into 4wd by mistake/accident. I did put an F-150 (2008) into 4wd one time thinking I was turning the radio knob due to the close(ish) proximity.... :crackup: :crackup:
This.

The other day I was remembering this thread while looking at the knob.

I have no earthly idea how some people do this. I thought I saw somebody say they hit it with their leg? But it's not on the edge of the console, it's set inside quite a bit? Where are you people putting your legs?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This.

I have no earthly idea how some people do this. I thought I saw somebody say they hit it with their leg? But it's not on the edge of the console, it's set inside quite a bit? Where are you people putting your legs?
I’ve only done it with the iPhone cord , but my wife has done it from the passenger seat a few times, also with her phone and or cord.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
This.

Right there with you.
Sponsored