Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Congrats Bass! Quick question. Is it just the photo angle or is the rear wheel no longer centered in the wheel well as a result of the change in geometry?

Love the ride height, btw! Looks about where my 3G Ranger with larger tires sat in stock suspension form.
Honestly I can't tell. Even at stock height it looks like the rear wheels favor the front of the bed a bit , but it likely is more foward the stock.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Rear wheels are too far forward…this kit is not for me. :)
Geometry is wrong …

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Rear wheels are too far forward…this kit is not for me. :)
Geometry is wrong …
Excuse my ignorance, but can't that be accounted for by moving the axle further back on the leaf? I'm new to this..

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Excuse my ignorance, but can't that be accounted for by moving the axle further back on the leaf? I'm new to this..
I Don’t know, but I’ve been through this with the FreakRide suspension, easier to adjust by changing shocks, but the rear is coil over with adjustable links…

6876E908-EF17-4418-80E6-914D3C869DC0.jpeg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
There are locating pins built into the spring that hold the axle saddle in position. Would need offset saddles to change. Wouldn't want the axle to move around while your driving.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
There are locating pins built into the spring that hold the axle saddle in position. Would need offset saddles to change. Wouldn't want the axle to move around while your driving.
Gotcha, that makes sense. It always kinda worried me, thinking that the axle could potentially move down the leaf, if I hit something like a curb. Guess I don't have to worry about that lol

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
The wheelbase can be adjusted. The saddle would have to be modified by slotting what is currently a hole used for alignment. I will have all of my parts in by tomorrow and will record the wheelbase specs prior to and after the installation. If I find that the wheel base has been altered dramatically or if I find the tire to wheel opening gaps not to my liking, I will make the adjustments and share the information on this page. As long as the wheelbase is within 4mm from side to side, there will be no tracking issues. These are specs used and applied by I-Car and used in collision repair. The 4mm tolerance is the average allowable tolerance as listed by Car-O-Liner

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The wheelbase can be adjusted. The saddle would have to be modified by slotting what is currently a hole used for alignment. I will have all of my parts in by tomorrow and will record the wheelbase specs prior to and after the installation. If I find that the wheel base has been altered dramatically or if I find the tire to wheel opening gaps not to my liking, I will make the adjustments and share the information on this page. As long as the wheelbase is within 4mm from side to side, there will be no tracking issues. These are specs used and applied by I-Car and used in collision repair. The 4mm tolerance is the average allowable tolerance as listed by Car-O-Liner
Yup Belltech should have done that already with a new set of springs in the kit ready to go…I thought the price was kinda cheap, but I thought it would include new springs..
my bad ..

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
By modifying the alignment hole in the saddle you just gave the axle the ability to move around under load. In drive it will try to move the axle forward and reverse backward, maybe not always evenly.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
You could plug weld the hole and re-drill a new one, providing you take good measurements for the new location. Or a cold-rolled steel (CRS) rod could be inserted, welded in place with a E-7018 rod (low-hydrogen), and re-drilled, if the saddle was made of CRS.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You could plug weld the hole and re-drill a new one, providing you take good measurements for the new location. Or a cold-rolled steel (CRS) rod could be inserted, welded in place with a E-7018 rod (low-hydrogen), and re-drilled, if the saddle was made of CRS.
Out of my league…but changing position will throw off geometry ..
Regards

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Out of my league…but changing position will throw off geometry ..
Regards
With the resources of Ford behind us, Livernoise and I started to develop an axle flip for our SCCA Rangers. I will not bore you with the details as it is old hat now. Our first handling track attempt was halted with the fact the U bolts could not hold the axle. We needed to pilot the flip brackets on the spring center bolt...Even when we tightened the crap out of the U bolts... We learned a lot...

BTW...if God wants to punish you in your next life...He/She will make you a shackle bracket...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got it all covered fellows. I should have stated that I would be only using a slot to locate and align the rear axle, I had no intentions of leaving slotted. I make the mistake of assuming that everyone has fabricating and machining experience and omitted all those details. To me, it's second nature, just like understanding the baseball strike zone. I've been exposed to both my whole life. I just assumed incorrectly. Anyway, if the flip kit arrives today as FedEx indicates it will, I will have several updates by the end of the weekend and hopefully be able to provide better details for you all

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FedEx just dropped off the flip kit! I will keep you posted the best I can provided I survive over the few days :crazy:
Sponsored