Antenna

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Don't be the house isn't that great I bought it for the garage!
I opted for a house without a garage, but has gorgeous 360 degree Blue Ridge Mountain foothill views. (I also have little option for any type of plug-in EV.)
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Yep, another source of owner lack of knowledge. At least a few years ago, there was a saftey cord that you can pull that separates the opener from the door. This can result in the bar than connects the opener to the door dropping free and becoming a dangling obstruction. But with the opener separated from the door, you could manually raise and lower the door in an emergency.
Not a lack of knowledge! I know all doors have a release to open the door if the opener fails or power is out. Our condo had a round lock in the door with a keyhole in it on the outside. When you unlocked it it fell out an a chain was attached so if your car was in there an power was out you could get to it to go to work. For security garages were solid on three wall so no owners could enter another units garage, the only way in was the big overhead door.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I opted for a house without a garage, but has gorgeous 360 degree Blue Ridge Mountain foothill views. (I also have little option for any type of plug-in EV.)
If I were building a garage I'd go with a 12 foot ceiling not the 16 (or 18?) ft I have since it's so high it's a pain to lube the opener chains an add openers (can't reach the learn button). Once I add a half bath an update the kitchen the house will be fine.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep, another source of owner lack of knowledge. At least a few years ago, there was a saftey cord that you can pull that separates the opener from the door. This can result in the bar than connects the opener to the door dropping free and becoming a dangling obstruction. But with the opener separated from the door, you could manually raise and lower the door in an emergency.

Watch and learn. At the 1130 mark you can see the emergency release excess cable hanging. I only had about 4 or 5 inches of excess slack hanging down but it was enough to catch. I never had to worry since between my Harley an all my tools, lift, and other stuff I couldn't park my ranger in the garage (one reason for moving).

https://www.amazon.com/scottchen-PR...cphy=9015332&hvtargid=pla-1700818946050&psc=1

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Watch and learn. At the 1130 mark you can see the emergency release excess cable hanging. I only had about 4 or 5 inches of excess slack hanging down but it was enough to catch. I never had to worry since between my Harley an all my tools, lift, and other stuff I couldn't park my ranger in the garage (one reason for moving).
Ah, never had to install one of those. But why the heck does the cable need to be so long? When he holds up the illustration on the instruction sheet, it doesn't show so much slack.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I have the CravenSpeed stubby and yet I managed to tag the yellow pipe at a parking garage recently. Strider is stock height and I still moved that pipe with the antenna going in. I had to drive around the entire garage to get out and the ceiling (along with the walls and pillars) were terrifyingly close the entire time. I also own a KIA Soul and I was kicking myself big time for not driving it, but then again why should that be a concern? Build the thing big enough and they will come. You gotta love how disconnected from reality some architects can be.

The Parking Garage from Hell belongs to Salt Lake City's Walker Center, BTW. Tell your friends. Don't tell your enemies.

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You guys are wimps. Imagine driving down the boulevard at 35 MPH, with an HF amateur radio antenna sticking up 14 feet. Suddenly, out of nowhere, is an errant tree limb. The top whip of that antenna is still wrapped around that tree limb, 40 years later! The hole in the quarter panel was averted, as the coil assembly came apart and saved the day. The real story is where the stainless steel corona ball went? I won't tell!

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Yep. I have the CravenSpeed stubby and yet I managed to tag the yellow pipe at a parking garage recently. Strider is stock height and I still moved that pipe with the antenna going in. I had to drive around the entire garage to get out and the ceiling (along with the walls and pillars) were terrifyingly close the entire time. I also own a KIA Soul and I was kicking myself big time for not driving it, but then again why should that be a concern? Build the thing big enough and they will come. You gotta love how disconnected from reality architects can be.

The Parking Garage from Hell belongs to Salt Lake City's Walker Center, BTW. Tell your friends. Don't tell your enemies.
I always feel bad at the videos where you see a high roof work van in one and the driver has no choice but to just keep going scraping the roof the whole time. Another video source of something similiar is the 11’8” bridge YouTube channel.

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
The house we moved to last year has 8ft garage doors. The previous house had standard doors and the antenna was close.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I always feel bad at the videos where you see a high roof work van in one and the driver has no choice but to just keep going scraping the roof the whole time. Another video source of something similiar is the 11’8” bridge YouTube channel.
No choice? How about stopping and backing out? Or airing down their tires to ~10 psi and cutting ~4 inches off their height?

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes. Getting mine in my garage was tight, went with a stubby for extra clearance lol.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman