Anne

Anne

First Name
Anne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Ranger
You can also insert them by clicking the Attach files on the bottom left. A drop down will appear and give you choices from where to attach them from whether it's your computer,iCloud,Dropbox or a thumb drive if you have pictures on it.
Thank you!
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's for the radio. Lot of our local radio towers are south of here, and been week at times due to the growing skyscrapers downtown.
In Rochester?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
There are still people listening to over the air radio??? Most every station now days transmits a simultaneous signal over the internet. You can stream the station no matter where you are. Assuming there is a cellular signal that is.

I have considered taking the antenna off and putting a plug in to seal the hole.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
There are still people listening to over the air radio??? Most every station now days transmits a simultaneous signal over the internet. You can stream the station no matter where you are. Assuming there is a cellular signal that is.

I have considered taking the antenna off and putting a plug in to seal the hole.
I almost never listen to AM/FM. I can't remember the last time I did. I usually have my own music on iPhone or USB thumb drive that I play.

I bought the 2 inch antenna mainly to plug the hole after removing the factory antenna. Certainly a more expensive way to do that. I'm going on my first road trip in my Ranger soon so I will probably try a few stations when I get out away from the city areas just to test it.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I only listen to one FM station ... WZLX... transmitter (20kW) is in Boston ... with a stubby antenna reception doesn’t take a hit until 495 which is about 30 miles out. On trips up into N.H. and ME I throw the factory antenna on because I’ll be hunting for stations.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Most every station now days transmits a simultaneous signal over the internet. You can stream the station no matter where you are. Assuming there is a cellular signal that is.
Welcome to Arizona where 70% of the state has no cell coverage and 40% doesn't even get FM broadcast radio. When you get off the pavement here you literally step back to 1934 real quick. We even have entire towns that aren't paved and you can't take a paved road to get to them.

There will be no streaming. There will be no FM Radio. It's Satellite, AM Radio, or your MP3/Apple List.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welcome to Arizona where 70% of the state has no cell coverage and 40% doesn't even get FM broadcast radio. When you get off the pavement here you literally step back to 1934 real quick. We even have entire towns that aren't paved and you can't take a paved road to get to them.

There will be no streaming. There will be no FM Radio. It's Satellite, AM Radio, or your MP3/Apple List.
I am spoiled. I spend quite a bit of time in Lake Havasu City and the Salome/Wenden area. Decent cell coverage in those areas. But I know it gets sketchy as far as coverage goes.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
An alternate solution to the OP,s original problem is to cut a slot in the door. ? ??
You laugh, but my old car antenna use to always hit the cord and handle that hangs down from the Garage Door Opener. Every time I would back in it would go BOING and scare the crap out of me.

How on earth could I possibly be backing in with that kind of precision that it takes to hit a handle on a cord that is 3" wide by 1/2" thick? Still I managed to do it with amazing regularity. Eventually I cut that cord off.

Problem solved.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I am spoiled. I spend quite a bit of time in Lake Havasu City and the Salome/Wenden area. Decent cell coverage in those areas. But I know it gets sketchy as far as coverage goes.
I'm itching to take the truck up into the Prashant Wilderness Area and camp. Three days of off-roading and overlanding. Reset those circadian rhythms. Will have to wait until I get home life resettled.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I guess it depends on who your carrier is,I have Verizon and get very good cell service. I'm not going to say I've been throughout the whole state but I have been to many areas and have never had problems with getting service. The only place I've been to that was bad and has dead spots is north of Flagstaff heading towards the Grand Canyon.

We've traveled down to Gila Bend through Yuma,out towards four corners into Colorado,Tombstone and Bissbee and up through Heber-Overgaard,Payson and Globe and never lost cell service.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I'm ATT and it was horrible when we moved out here but has gotten better. For the most part, On Road coverage is great. But I measure my happiness by how little cell coverage I get and how far it is to the next Starbucks or Bed Bath and Beyond. If there isn't a chain store outside of a gas station with in 30 miles, I start smiling bigger and bigger.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I have the two inch and reception is average at best (rural Pa). I mostly listen to podcasts though so no harm. I just hated the look of the stock one. Looks like a unicorn coming down the street ha.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm ATT and it was horrible when we moved out here but has gotten better. For the most part, On Road coverage is great. But I measure my happiness by how little cell coverage I get and how far it is to the next Starbucks or Bed Bath and Beyond. If there isn't a chain store outside of a gas station with in 30 miles, I start smiling bigger and bigger.
We left AT&T for Verizon about 8 years ago. Way, way better coverage in Arizona and everywhere else.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I didn't realize shorter was available -- good info.

You might just try pulling it off and see if it works well enough for you. My cabover pushes the stock one a bit so I removed it. It still works surprisingly well
Sponsored