Another electric Ford pickup truck is coming, Farley says

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Would be interesting to see the Ranger EV produced again. I never got to see one of the old ones in person.
Its going to be the ranger i bet you money :) Remember VW and Ford are sharing the 6th Gen Platform. VW is going to produce a truck based on the 6th gen ranger and I bet for VW to make the money work, it needs to support EV or plugin-hybrid
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My point for my post was the infrastructure seems to be not well maintained...for what little infrastructure there currently is. The maintenance of the charging infrastructure in the CA Bay area seems to be somewhat suspect if over 25% of what was surveyed was either partially or totally unusable.

I'm not sure what your point is as relates to my post. I'm not saying the EV isn't a worthwhile thing to develop. I'm just saying I'm not sold on it.

As for homes being built and the energy they use...we all need to have a place to live, and clean/efficient energy definitely needs to be developed for that, too.
I only try to offer information and numbers to help people understand. KWH and energy usage scares some people and I didn't understand it as much until we had an EV and I can't wait for Ford to make an EV Ranger, hopefully sooner than later, but preferable on the gen2 EV platform they are working on.

There are certainly older parts of town that will have issues with charging all the EV's. I've always said buy what works for you. There are many scenario's where an EV is not the best option.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Its going to be the ranger i bet you money :) Remember VW and Ford are sharing the 6th Gen Platform. VW is going to produce a truck based on the 6th gen ranger and I bet for VW to make the money work, it needs to support EV or plugin-hybrid
They made them before so we know they are bound to make a second generation Ranger EV. As long as they don't use VW electronics on the new Ranger EV, I'll be inclined to try one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
That's going to be a huge hurdle to cross and they better get on it soon. Between the archaic grid system in most areas and the lack of charging stations needed for all these new EV's. Most of Phoenix is new compared to areas on the east coast where they really need updating.

I'm not against them but there's still a lot of work to be done with both the vehicles and the infrastructure. I've seen many articles already where people who rent and those in condos have no way to charge theirs. Then there's the distance and the time it takes to charge them while traveling. This will all be worked out over the years and there's going to be growing pains along the way. I'll take baby steps with a PHEV (Ranger hopefully) then down the road look into a full EV.
I'm agonna git me one of them eeeelectrick veehicules as soon as I can find me a place to plug er in...

4891db99fb78dd5f6da8094f7f7ffdb5.jpg

1fba83b99c2cce45e69e7e594e22111e--the-doors-farms.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This will replace the Ford Lightning as the new lectric truck...needs no plug or infrastructure at all... install of a small wind turbine that generates lectric to charge batteries in this newly released Ford pick up...
At dealers soon...

bdwm5333.jpg

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
A home heater and washer/dryer use more energy than an electric cars charging needs for the average persons daily commute. yet no one complains about new homes being built. To take that further, imagine the amount of energy a local big box store uses just for lighting and refrigeration. To go even further, Imagine the insane power needs to run big datacenters for amazon, microsoft, facebook, instagram. It's exponentially more energy than would be need to recharge some EV's

30-40 miles daily driving would require about 14kWh of energy to recharge
Average daily home heater usage is estimated at 26kWh
Yeeaah...all I know is that my neighbor here in California bought a Tesla, and his electric bill went from about $100 to $350. He commutes about 20 miles each way, and uses the car some on the weekends. He told me the cost difference between his old car (an '18 Lexus that got around 30 mpg) and the Tesla was a wash, even with the higher prices. And PG&E is doing the big F-you to everyone out here since our wonderful government allowed them to be sued. Rates just keep going up.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I agree, if they can't make revenue from fuel sales, then it'll be tax on milage driven. Electric prices will rise as demand rises, and it won't affect just the cost of charging your car.

Before I will be sold on EV's, a at least one of these need to happen:

Range has to be extended.
Charge time has to be reduced.
Availability of charging stations has to increase.

If I go on a 500-mile trip, the car needs to make it on one charge with all accessories (AC/heat) running as needed. OR needs to charge fully in under 15 minutes.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Few points no one has brought up yet...
There is a serious shortage of lithium, and the plants/mines to process it for battery use...there is no way in the foreseeable future that enough battery platforms for all the manufacturers projected ### can be produced. They are litterly putting the cart before the horse. That is sure to drive costs up. Also, most of the rare earth minerals used in the batteries come from China...and you know just how much they love us. They have leases and mines all over the world, trying to corner the market on these minerals, while here in the USA we quibble and argue over drilling a simple oil well.
There's really no way to increase range without increasing battery size and weight, thus making the vehicle heavier which by itself drains battery faster....no win situation.
Possible that sodium-ion batteries will replace them, but those batteries have even less "range" than lithium.
Replacement cost...most electric vehicles have an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty for their batteries (average), and replacement batteries run from 5-18 grand to replace (average) depending on the vehicle.
What happens if you have a lithium powered vehicle, and 8-10 years down the road a battery replacement is needed and no lithium batteries are available...will a sodium-ion work ???

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Few points no one has brought up yet...
There is a serious shortage of lithium, and the plants/mines to process it for battery use...there is no way in the foreseeable future that enough battery platforms for all the manufacturers projected ### can be produced. That is sure to drive costs up.
There's really no way to increase range without increasing battery size and weight, thus making the vehicle heavier which by itself drains battery faster....no win situation.
Possible that sodium-ion batteries will replace them, but those batteries have even less "range" than lithium.
Replacement cost...most electric vehicles have an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty for their batteries (average), and replacement batteries run from 5-18 grand to replace (average) depending on the vehicle.
What happens if you have a lithium powered vehicle, and 8-10 years down the road a battery replacement is needed and no lithium batteries are available...will a sodium-ion work ???
That was another point I should have made. Battery replacement need to be reasonable, not half the price of a new car.
I think as battery tech matures; someone will make a replacement for the current lithium batteries used.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, if they can't make revenue from fuel sales, then it'll be tax on milage driven. Electric prices will rise as demand rises, and it won't affect just the cost of charging your car.

Before I will be sold on EV's, a at least one of these need to happen:

Range has to be extended.
Charge time has to be reduced.
Availability of charging stations has to increase.

If I go on a 500-mile trip, the car needs to make it on one charge with all accessories (AC/heat) running as needed. OR needs to charge fully in under 15 minutes.

I think use taxes would be better anyways. heavy vehicles and higher miles/year should pay alot more than a compact car driving a few miles a day. States are already charging EV taxes to recover lost gas tax.

Example of almost 500 mile trip in a tesla.
1652193419594.png

Normal trip time - 7h 30mins
Time with charging- 8h 15mins

3 charging stops needed for 6 mins, 15 mins and 20mins. I think taking an extra 45 minutes is not a big deal considering at home you only take 1 second per day to plug in car and it's fully charged every morning.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I think use taxes would be better anyways. heavy vehicles and higher miles/year should pay alot more than a compact car driving a few miles a day. States are already charging EV taxes to recover lost gas tax.

1652193419594.png

3 charging stops needed for 6 mins, 15 mins and 20mins. I think taking an extra 45 minutes is not a big deal considering at home you only take 1 second per day to plug in car and it's fully charged every morning.
That's encouraging. My bladder wouldn't let me drive the whole way with no stops anyway.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If your on the road and need a charge, you may run into the problem of limited charging stations. Not every place will have a dozen stations, some maybe only one or two...
Could end up like these folks wait their turn to get "lectricified"

E5EKCZ6VUAA5S_S.jpg

25935012_web1_210729-ACC-Editors-desk-Tesla_1-1024x683.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

1652193419594.png

This isn't a Tesla forum, we all drive trucks which is comparing apples and oranges. Give me a truck (weighted down with gear in the bed) with those same results and I'll listen. I have no desire to drive a Tesla or a Prius. I want a truck that's going to get me a long distance without having to stop every 200 miles a wait for a charger.

My trip next month I'll be driving over 3,500 miles and I'd waste a lot of time charging with the short distances that are out there now. Heck I'd be lucky to make it up to Flagstaff on a charge. Then I'll be traveling through a lot of open desert where I'll be hard pressed to see maybe one gas station along the way. I can get 400 miles on a full tank with my Ranger and not worry about being stranded in the middle of nowhere looking to "plug in".

They may be great for those who have short commutes or have a second car but EV's still have a LONG way to go before they become functional for most of us. Now throw a boat or travel trailer behind one and you'll get even less range. Ford still hasn't said what the range is on the new Lightning while towing. I'm guessing it's not all that great because if it were they'd be published by now.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't a Tesla forum, we all drive trucks which is comparing apples and oranges. Give me a truck (weighted down with gear in the bed) with those same results and I'll listen. I have no desire to drive a Tesla or a Prius. I want a truck that's going to get me a long distance without having to stop every 200 miles a wait for a charger.

My trip next month I'll be driving over 3,500 miles and I'd waste a lot of time charging with the short distances that are out there now. Heck I'd be lucky to make it up to Flagstaff on a charge. Then I'll be traveling through a lot of open desert where I'll be hard pressed to see maybe one gas station along the way. I can get 400 miles on a full tank with my Ranger and not worry about being stranded in the middle of nowhere looking to "plug in".

They may be great for those who have short commutes or have a second car but EV's still have a LONG way to go before they become functional for most of us. Now throw a boat or travel trailer behind one and you'll get even less range. Ford still hasn't said what the range is on the new Lightning while towing. I'm guessing it's not all that great because if it were they'd be published by now.
I can only compare what exists. Eventually we'll start seeing better info from the F-150 lightning and Rivian. Fact is every engine type vehicle experiences major hit to mileage when towing.
Sponsored