Another electric Ford pickup truck is coming, Farley says

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
With the F150 Lightning taking off my guess is the next Gen Ranger will be the last ICE ones we'll see. The Maverick is already a hybrid and the Ranger is said to have one coming out too which I'm all for. There's still way to much that needs to be done for me to jump into a full EV but by the time the 7th Gen is rolled out I'm guessing the range and charging stations will be better then too and our grid (hopefully) will all be updated.

Ford kicks off EV truck sales battle as F-150 Lightning production begins

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-kicks-off-ev-truck-164510084.html
I tend to agree, but with hints of it being not like something we are already building, maybe the will resurrect the Bronco Truck
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I tend to agree, but with hints of it being not like something we are already building, maybe the will resurrect the Bronco Truck
The Bronco pickup is the only truck that I would trade my Ranger yesterday to get.

They are built so similar, but how does the Gladiator come off looking so out of proportion whereas the Bronco pickup looks so right?

1-ford-bronco-pickup-truck-rendered-again-146559_1.jpg

Voodoo Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m looking forward to an EV Ranger and will put my name on the list as soon as I can. I’ve owned a Tesla Model 3 for four years now and look forward to an EV truck that will fit easily in my garage. The whole range anxiety thing is way over blown.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I’m looking forward to an EV Ranger and will put my name on the list as soon as I can. I’ve owned a Tesla Model 3 for four years now and look forward to an EV truck that will fit easily in my garage. The whole range anxiety thing is way over blown.
Thats what this guy thought...figured he had plenty of range....

download.jpg

Deleted member 1634

Range anxiety is also not exclusively an EV problem, like with most of the "problems" with EVs. It's pretty easy to have range anxiety running an ICE vehicle too. I get it every once in awhile towing with the Ranger out west where I have 50miles of range left and its 50miles to the next fuel station. Everything requires energy and needs to be "refueled" in one way or another. ICE vehicles are not immune to "running out of juice" and leaving you stranded.
The only reason range anxiety is an excuse for EVs is because the range is lower and it takes longer to refuel than ICEs. And as Dave said earlier, both of those issues, and more, will very likely be remedied pretty darn soon.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
From my recent experience with a Bronco order it seems that Farley, and Ford is having trouble walking, and chewing gum at the same time. So, with all of their focus on EV's, and jockying for a ton of tax payers money from the government to build them I can see why my Bronco build will be a '24 model if I choose to keep my order. Now, I know some of you would love to tell me it ain't Ford, it's the supply chain and chips holding production back. I understand that. But, if you have a Bronco order in you know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

BTW, a good friend just bought a new EV, and he's quite excited. I'm happy that he is happy. He said he was taking the family to Topsail Beach, NC, a distance of 228 miles, and they are planning on spending the night a little over half way to charge the car. That hit me as a strange way to save money on gas.

Last edited:

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd definitely be interested in an EV ranger. but also the larger size of F150 frame gives better battery capacity. Guess I'll wait and see what really happens.

1651542194364.png
1651542208330.png
1651542214797.png

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I'd definitely be interested in an EV ranger. but also the larger size of F150 frame gives better battery capacity. Guess I'll wait and see what really happens.

1651542194364.png
1651542208330.png
1651542214797.png
Which is why I think it can’t be the Maverick..

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Which is why I think it can’t be the Maverick..
Agree. They've already made a 40mpg hybrid Maverick. to meet further fleet efficiency demands, Ford will need to hybridize or electricity the gas guzzlers of the fleets

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Agree. They've already made a 40mpg hybrid Maverick. to meet further fleet efficiency demands, Ford will need to hybridize or electricity the gas guzzlers of the fleets
And with a frame already there easier to design a battery compartment.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm just not sure I'll ever be sold on any type of EV...Ford or otherwise. I'll never claim to be any bit knowledgable about the technology behind it all, but the infrastructure still seems so shaky to me.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/electric-charging-stations-bay-area-california
That's going to be a huge hurdle to cross and they better get on it soon. Between the archaic grid system in most areas and the lack of charging stations needed for all these new EV's. Most of Phoenix is new compared to areas on the east coast where they really need updating.

I'm not against them but there's still a lot of work to be done with both the vehicles and the infrastructure. I've seen many articles already where people who rent and those in condos have no way to charge theirs. Then there's the distance and the time it takes to charge them while traveling. This will all be worked out over the years and there's going to be growing pains along the way. I'll take baby steps with a PHEV (Ranger hopefully) then down the road look into a full EV.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
A home heater and washer/dryer use more energy than an electric cars charging needs for the average persons daily commute. yet no one complains about new homes being built. To take that further, imagine the amount of energy a local big box store uses just for lighting and refrigeration. To go even further, Imagine the insane power needs to run big datacenters for amazon, microsoft, facebook, instagram. It's exponentially more energy than would be need to recharge some EV's

30-40 miles daily driving would require about 14kWh of energy to recharge
Average daily home heater usage is estimated at 26kWh

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A home heater and washer/dryer use more energy than an electric cars charging needs for the average persons daily commute. yet no one complains about new homes being built. To take that further, imagine the amount of energy a local big box store uses just for lighting and refrigeration. To go even further, Imagine the insane power needs to run big datacenters for amazon, microsoft, facebook, instagram. It's exponentially more energy than would be need to recharge some EV's

Sure but states like California have rolling blackouts now so what's going to happen when millions of EV's are now plugged into the grid? Also people need to stop thinking of only their commutes. I see this stuff posted all the time about only driving 30 miles a day which is unrealistic for most commuters. Sure there's a good chunk of people who are lucky enough to have a short commute but I know many who have longer ones and no where to charge them at their workplace. Now add in landscapers who have trailers and equipment to haul around and all their blowers and weed wackers that'll need charging all day long with multiple batteries being charged too. Now throw in long range truckers and we're going to need way more power than most think we will because they're only thinking about their needs not everyone else's.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

My point for my post was the infrastructure seems to be not well maintained...for what little infrastructure there currently is. The maintenance of the charging infrastructure in the CA Bay area seems to be somewhat suspect if over 25% of what was surveyed was either partially or totally unusable.

I'm not sure what your point is as relates to my post. I'm not saying the EV isn't a worthwhile thing to develop. I'm just saying I'm not sold on it.

As for homes being built and the energy they use...we all need to have a place to live, and clean/efficient energy definitely needs to be developed for that, too.
Sponsored