Android Auto Google Maps

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I'm finding that more often than not the screen is unresponsive when driving. By that, I mean touching anything on the screen doesn't get a response. If I'm in Google Maps, for example, I can't exit out or touch a place to navigate to. I have to hit the "home" button on the steering wheel to go anywhere else on the screen.

Is anyone else finding android Auto to be really awkward in the Ranger, or just me?
I can't see what I'm doing wrong, but I don't like the way it is working. I admit I'm an Android Auto newbie.
Sponsored

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I'm finding that more often than not the screen is unresponsive when driving. By that, I mean touching anything on the screen doesn't get a response. If I'm in Google Maps, for example, I can't exit out or touch a place to navigate to. I have to hit the "home" button on the steering wheel to go anywhere else on the screen.

Is anyone else finding android Auto to be really awkward in the Ranger, or just me?
I can't see what I'm doing wrong, but I don't like the way it is working. I admit I'm an Android Auto newbie.
Honestly android auto is great when it works, but its buggy, a lot of different people I know with various vehicle infotainment systems all have problems with AA working great and not working. And that issue you describe I have had on my mothers escape. My buddy with a GM vehicle has an issue where it will go unresponsive if using the screen to switch songs. That's just a couple of examples of many issues. I know its constantly being updated, so Its certainly better than it was a few months ago, but apple car play is just more stable. Perks of not going with an iphone is how I look at it :p

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
So far so good here also, but only a week of use.

Edit: Adding that I am using a Google Pixal 3A phone.

Last edited:

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Dang, you guys have certainly had better luck with that than I have had.

OP
OP

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I'll try a different cable. I'm currently using a high quality one that come with my OnePlus phone, but I'll try a different one and see what happens.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I have an iPhone and a Google Pixel phone, each running the most current operating system, and the Ford Sync built-in navigation system. I also have two different Garmin portable GPS receivers. For my usage, the single advantage of the phone systems, over Ford Sync and Garmin, is the natural language interface with Siri and Google Assistant. Google Maps works equally well with either phone, so you don't need and Android phone to get all of its features. Using Sync or Garmin with voice commands is absurdly difficult in comparison. The Sync and Garmin are great at navigation, and will work without a cellular connection. The phones are stupendously better for discovering destinations (at least when they have a decent cell connection) but usually not significantly better (if at all) than Sync or Garmin at actual navigation. Unsurprisingly, the built-in navigation on my wife's BMW is every bit as bad as Sync or Garmin at voice control and destination discovery.

richmondjd11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
Has anybody ran into the issue where AA disconnects after the phone reaches 100% charge. My AA works great in my ranger but always disconnects and will not reconnect after the battery reaches full charge. I just stopped using it and connect through blue tooth now cause I couldnt figure out why it was doing that and couldnt find a setting to change that

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The phones are stupendously better for discovering destinations (at least when they have a decent cell connection) but usually not significantly better (if at all) than Sync or Garmin at actual navigation.
In areas with a lot of traffic the realtime routing from google maps is a huge time saver compared to the built-in nav.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
In areas with a lot of traffic the realtime routing from google maps is a huge time saver compared to the built-in nav.
I'll buy that. The standard FM traffic reporting is definitely less responsive to emerging conditions as the internet sources, especially Maps + Waze. I'm rarely in areas where it makes any difference. I'm far more likely to be driving where there is no cell coverage.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've had no issues. My first step in your car would be to try a different cable, and a shorter one.
I've had various AA issues in other Fords, none yet in my Ranger.

This is generally the issue I've found.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The Sync and Garmin are great at navigation, and will work without a cellular connection. The phones are stupendously better for discovering destinations (at least when they have a decent cell connection) but usually not significantly better (if at all) than Sync or Garmin at actual navigation. Unsurprisingly, the built-in navigation on my wife's BMW is every bit as bad as Sync or Garmin at voice control and destination discovery.
I find your statement to be completely incorrect.

Phone based nav systems give better time estimates due to real time traffic updates, can reroute you around accidents and construction you don't know about due to the same, AND you can download maps to use offline anytime you want.

I put in over a thousand miles a week, driving around a major metro area in areas that are unfamiliar to me for a living. I wouldn't use a standalone unit like a Garmin if it were given to me.

I honestly don't know how they are staying in business.

OP
OP

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Has anybody ran into the issue where AA disconnects after the phone reaches 100% charge. My AA works great in my ranger but always disconnects and will not reconnect after the battery reaches full charge. I just stopped using it and connect through blue tooth now cause I couldnt figure out why it was doing that and couldnt find a setting to change that
No, I haven't had that issue. For me, the map doesn't work unless I plug the phone in.
Sponsored