Factory Nav vs Google Maps

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
How is the Ford factory nav? I am considering doing an APIM swap to add factory Nav, but was wondering how those of you with it like it. In my Jeep, I always used phone based Google Maps because the maps in the Jeep were old, and the directions always seemed off. Didn't consider traffic either like the phone does.

How do you find its directions, accuracy, and ease of use?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The factory Nav is just ok. I'll use it around town at times but I tend to use my phones iMap or Google maps more. When traveling I never use the factory Nav and the accuracy isn't as good as the other two which update more frequently.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Factory nav systems suck compared to phone based nav. All of them.

Crappy GUI, no real traffic info, and they only update when you do it.

I haven't used Ford's Nav once since I've had my truck. If it weren't for the fact that it's bundled with other stuff I wanted I wouldn't have gotten it.

Seems like a silly "upgrade" to me.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I used to Google maps to show traffic congestion on the way to work. It was accurate enough to know to take another route or not. For the most past, google maps has not led me astray.

I'm currently having issues getting Google maps to display on the truck. I'll create another thread after I look into it more so I'm not side tracking this thread.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Factory nav systems suck compared to phone based nav. All of them.

Crappy GUI, no real traffic info, and they only update when you do it.

I haven't used Ford's Nav once since I've had my truck. If it weren't for the fact that it's bundled with other stuff I wanted I wouldn't have gotten it.

Seems like a silly "upgrade" to me.

I prefer to have the Nav not on my phone, but maybe this is a lower tier priority. In some order, I have:
- tires
- winch
- tune
- then Nav, I suppose

Somewhere in there I guess is dampers and engine covers, but those confuse me, so they'll probably wait.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
The factory Nav is just ok. I'll use it around town at times but I tend to use my phones iMap or Google maps more. When traveling I never use the factory Nav and the accuracy isn't as good as the other two which update more frequently.
great feedback, thanks

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
I used to Google maps to show traffic congestion on the way to work. It was accurate enough to know to take another route or not. For the most past, google maps has not led me astray.

I'm currently having issues getting Google maps to display on the truck. I'll create another thread after I look into it more so I'm not side tracking this thread.
hope you get it working quickly

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I prefer to have the Nav not on my phone, but maybe this is a lower tier priority. In some order, I have:
- tires
- winch
- tune
- then Nav, I suppose

Somewhere in there I guess is dampers and engine covers, but those confuse me, so they'll probably wait.
Agreed.

Which is why I use AA. Phone based NAV displayed on my truck's screen.

There is nothing that a factory NAV system can do that a phone based app cannot do multitudes better.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Personally only had Android Auto with Google Maps. It was alright as long as you had reception. As for Factory Nav you can get the option of traffic conditions if you have Sirius XM. I have seen it used before and it's not too shabby.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Personally only had Android Auto with Google Maps. It was alright as long as you had reception. As for Factory Nav you can get the option of traffic conditions if you have Sirius XM. I have seen it used before and it's not too shabby.
Contrary to popular opinion on this thread, I like the Sync Nav for around urban areas. It does give me traffic conditions and I don't have to mess with AA.

When I take the Jeep out into the boonies, I use a Garmin Montana GPS. I purchased topo maps to use with the Montana and with the Garmin program "BaseCamp". The Montana saves "breadcrumbs" and I download them to the BaseCamp to provide a record of my travels.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Factory navs go obsolete as soon as you drive off dealership...little to no support/updates...I use Waze through carplay...always up to date and through peer users...not to mention real time popo locations...

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
when I'm in the boonies with no cell reception, I use Gaia on my truck screen through AA. Gotta plan ahead to make sure the relevant maps are loaded on the phone by the time you lose cell reception, but that process is easy. once you do, the maps are infinitely more useful in the woods than anything on any factory nav system.

for in town, Google/Waze addresses are more accurate than whatever winds up in a factory nav system, because people can submit corrections. not possible with your Sync factory maps if an address or street name is wrong.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I use Waze since I don't have factory Navigation. In a toss up between Google maps and Waze I'd take Waze. Seems to be more accurate and updates frequently. FYI...
Sponsored