Am I Screwed? (Tow rating question.)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
As others have pointed out, getting a trailer rolling and stopping a trailer are two very different things. Personally I would tow anything over about 3000 pounds with a mid-size truck, even if the trailer had brakes. Just too many things that could go terribly wrong.
I assume you mean wouldn't?
If you wouldn't, you probably shouldn't

I can see leaving a small margin or being cautious, but....
if you don't trust J2807, or the manufacturer by even half?...

Who should be trusted to set the standard?
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Au contrair mon Frier! New York requires you to be 16 to get a learners permit and does not issue "Hardship" Licences for people under 16 but in some states they do. So while your state does not issue a license to anyone under 16, a 15 year old with a legal license and two months of experience under his or her belt can legally cruise right through your state - in a Ranger, towing 7,499.99lbs. ;-)

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/some-teens-can-drive-at-14

* Just my facts
I would imagine hardship license are severely restricted and not easily obtained? Like, to from work/school only and limited miles with time of day restrictions?. Medical appts.? I mean, assuming common sense still exist. OP, the simple answer is no you're not screwed if you equip the truck properly. (I'm sure you figured that already.)

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
If you want to tow that much, you need a trailer with brakes and a brake controller. Trying to stop more than 3000 lbs with just the trucks brakes is asking for trouble. The 7500 pound limit requires a brake controller.
EXACTLY CORRECT. The fact that ford does not include an integrated brake controller on the Ranger, and DOES include on the F250 / F350 / F450 speaks volumes. As to personal opinion, yes of course the afore-mentioned statement regarding COMMON-SENSE with regards to SAFE TOWING CAPABILITIES of any given truck, my opinion was clearly stated. If someone wants to latch onto a 7500 lb travel trailer that is 28 feet (or longer) and try to control that load with a very much too-short wheelbase and generally not enough truck, then go ahead and do it. Just know that you are endangering the other drivers out on the road if something happens and there is not enough truck towing to control it when things go wrong. And they do. On my last tow from New Braunfels to Corpus Christi, there was a jeep that had been lifted running at least 35s that was towing a travel trailer around 25'+ long that was overturned, the trailer destroyed in pieces on its side, jeep upside down. Much too short a wheelbase and made worse by being lifted on top of that. USE COMMON SENSE GUYS.

So you guys go right ahead and knock yourselves out towing loads like that because well you can right?

Last edited:

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
I assume you mean wouldn't?
If you wouldn't, you probably shouldn't

I can see leaving a small margin or being cautious, but....
if you don't trust J2807, or the manufacturer by even half?...

Who should be trusted to set the standard?
Yes I meant that i would not attempt to tow 7500 lbs with a Ranger. I used to tow my 32' fifth wheel that weighed around 8500 dry with my 2006 dodge cummins QCSB and that truck was a beast. On tow tune it was around 550 hp and a little over 1000 ft/lbs plus it had good brakes and a brake controller for the trailer. And there were several times towing in Houston, Beaumont, and west TX that I either encountered severe winds, drivers that cut me off badly, eighteen-wheelers that nearly blew me off the road, bad roads, to name a few, and it was really dicey and not at all sure I could make it thru those scenarios. And that was a 3/4 ton diesel truck made for towing, towing a trailer that was only a thousand more than what the Ranger is supposedly safe towing.

And I am totally calling bullshit on this.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would not try to tow 5000 lbs with a Ranger if it did have the tow package. Mine does have it and I dont feel comfortable AT ALL towing 4000 with it. Great little trucks but just not enough truck and brakes to tow much over 3000. Just because Ford says you can does not mean you should.

It really all depends on what your towing,and your experience level. I wouldn't hesitate to tow a 5k lb trailer,but not any more that that,for your stated reasons. Of course one would have to have a quality trailer brake controller. Ford dropped the ball on that one for this gen ranger,imho.

I have two trailers,one is a 12 ft enclosed cargo trailer equipped with brakes. The other is a 10 ft open bed utility trailer with no brakes. I bought that trailer just for hauling lumber etc. No big heavy loads.The heaviest ,load the utility trailer has seen was 10 85 lb bales of straw. No sweat stopping...

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Yes I meant that i would not attempt to tow 7500 lbs with a Ranger. I used to tow my 32' fifth wheel that weighed around 8500 dry with my 2006 dodge cummins QCSB and that truck was a beast. On tow tune it was around 550 hp and a little over 1000 ft/lbs plus it had good brakes and a brake controller for the trailer. And there were several times towing in Houston, Beaumont, and west TX that I either encountered severe winds, drivers that cut me off badly, eighteen-wheelers that nearly blew me off the road, bad roads, to name a few, and it was really dicey and not at all sure I could make it thru those scenarios. And that was a 3/4 ton diesel truck made for towing, towing a trailer that was only a thousand more than what the Ranger is supposedly safe towing.

I will probably never tow 7500 pounds with my Ranger for any distance, unless it is an open and loaded car trailer, but as nice as I can say it....
If you are getting blown about by winds and eighteen wheelers within the tow rating of your truck, then you ....
1] Need to reexamine your trailer setup for load balance, tongue weight, tire pressure etc.
2] Need to be sure the truck is equipped for the job and in good shape.
3] Driving in conditions severe enough that you should be in a coffee shop waiting it out.
4] just plain driving too fast for conditions.

I regularly tow at the rated limit on my TC and it is as stable as when not towing in all conditions.
At 60MPH with mileage in the mid twenties.

Point is that BIG is just not all there is to towing, and BIG alone won't compensate for all the variables nor will it guarantee safety.

Towing within the limits of the tow vehicle at reduced speed and increased following distances, with proper equipment and responsible driving habits is the formula to arrive safely.

BIG enough? Sure ...
BIG just for BIG's sake? nahh.

big-truck.jpg

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase

OK we get it you don't like to tow to factory limits but don't BS us. A 32 ft 5th wheel that weighs 8500 lbs dry? That's a laugh you were hitting the road much closer to 11000 to 12000 lbs, or more. If you didn't know that it's on you. That dry weight is unloaded and without options. I had a 32 ft 5th wheel and it was 12000 lbs on the road towed with a '95 Dodge 2500 Cummins. 160 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. Our Rangers aren't far behind on torque. It did not come with an integrated trailer brake controller. At that time frame they were after market only. I'm pretty sure Ford was the 1st to have one integrated from the factory. I've been passed by plenty of 18 wheelers and was never "nearly blown off the road". Did things happen? Yes, but getting cutoff bad drivers etc are just things to look out for. Same as when not towing, you just need to be more alert and allow for an increased braking distance.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OK we get it you don't like to tow to factory limits but don't BS us. A 32 ft 5th wheel that weighs 8500 lbs dry? That's a laugh you were hitting the road much closer to 11000 to 12000 lbs, or more. If you didn't know that it's on you. That dry weight is unloaded and without options. I had a 32 ft 5th wheel and it was 12000 lbs on the road towed with a '95 Dodge 2500 Cummins. 160 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. Our Rangers aren't far behind on torque. It did not come with an integrated trailer brake controller. At that time frame they were after market only. I'm pretty sure Ford was the 1st to have one integrated from the factory. I've been passed by plenty of 18 wheelers and was never "nearly blown off the road". Did things happen? Yes, but getting cutoff bad drivers etc are just things to look out for. Same as when not towing, you just need to be more alert and allow for an increased braking distance.
Hi Doug,

You hit on a nerve. The fact the F250 offers a trailer brake controller is not rationale that the Ranger is above the actual rating. This is faulty logic. The decision to offer a trailer brake controller is a program decision based on incremental cost of the Tow Package, the affordable targets and the Marketing analysis of the amount of owners towing. So I am suspect that the program folks made the controller optional for dealer or owner installed to keep cost and customer MSRP down. If a customer is not feeling safe within the limits of the Ford Owners Manual...get another vehicle that you envision is acceptable or reduce the trailer size and weight to a value you can accept. To imply Ford overstates the Ranger capabilities is pure speculation of the the part of an individual.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
There are three factors to consider where a vehicles performance is concerned.
1. What is the Vehicle Capable of?
2. What are the Roads Capable of?
3. What is the DRIVER Capable of?

You ALWAYS drive to the LOWEST ability in that trifecta.

Example:
1. A professional long haul truck driver can tow 7,500lbs in a Ranger on warm sunny dry roads with good visibility.
2. A professional long haul truck driver should tow LESS when going up mountain passes in the rain in a Ranger.
3. A 15 year old first time driver should not tow anything at all.
4. As is evidenced in the Colorado Bent Frame posts, you tow less weight as the roads become more aggressive or rugged or technical.

And if someone says they aren't comfortable towing more than 3,000 lbs, GOOD FOR YOU! Most people never stop to question what they are comfortable with. Manual says 7,500 so they tow 7,500 regardless if they are ready for it or not. No shame in not being comfortable towing more than 3,000 or 4,000 lbs. You probably have a greater appreciation for what you are doing than some people who wished the Ranger could pull 13,000 lbs.

We all fell out of our mamma soft, wet, and stoopid. Everything you are capable of today, you learned.
A

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
There are three factors to consider where a vehicles performance is concerned.
1. What is the Vehicle Capable of?
2. What are the Roads Capable of?
3. What is the DRIVER Capable of?

You ALWAYS drive to the LOWEST ability in that trifecta.

Example:
1. A professional long haul truck driver can tow 7,500lbs in a Ranger on warm sunny dry roads with good visibility.
2. A professional long haul truck driver should tow LESS when going up mountain passes in the rain in a Ranger.
3. A 15 year old first time driver should not tow anything at all.
4. As is evidenced in the Colorado Bent Frame posts, you tow less weight as the roads become more aggressive or rugged or technical.

And if someone says they aren't comfortable towing more than 3,000 lbs, GOOD FOR YOU! Most people never stop to question what they are comfortable with. Manual says 7,500 so they tow 7,500 regardless if they are ready for it or not. No shame in not being comfortable towing more than 3,000 or 4,000 lbs. You probably have a greater appreciation for what you are doing than some people who wished the Ranger could pull 13,000 lbs.

We all fell out of our mamma soft, wet, and stoopid. Everything you are capable of today, you learned.
AMEN! Your comment hit the bullseye of whole discussion. Thanks.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Growing up in Washington, I started towing trailers at 12 years old...

#FarmKid

(Note that this was not on public roads. That didn't happen until 14 or 15)
Dairy farm kid here.Started pulling double grain trailers ON THE FARM only,as soon as I was able to reach the pedals. Ended up pulling double bulk trailers throughout the 11 western states back in the 70's. Loved it,and it paid good.Been up and down the ike many times in all weather conditions too.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
I found a truck I like but it doesn't have the tow package installed. I was going to install an aftermarket hitch and an OEM harness and plug receptacle. Someone in another thread on this site just said that without the tow package I'm limited to 5000lbs? Am I?
I believe the 5000 limit is for the bumper hitch.

Jimmy637

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I was wondering if the Ranger's tow package included a trans. cooler. Some vehicles don't w/o the tow package. I checked Ford's web page. Apparently the trans cooler is std. across all models. It's not called out as part of the 53R package.

Also I recently took my boat/trailer on a test tow. Only 3200#. I have the tow pkg. My Ranger hardly knew the trailer was behind me. That 10 spd. trans is the key. It keeps the engine at the proper RPM to deliver the needed torque. My old Durango had a bit more HP, much less torque. 4spd w/torque converter lock. It was constantly downshifting at the slightest hill. Not my Ranger.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf
Sponsored