Am I Screwed? (Tow rating question.)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I was wondering if the Ranger's tow package included a trans. cooler. Some vehicles don't w/o the tow package. I checked Ford's web page. Apparently the trans cooler is std. across all models. It's not called out as part of the 53R package.

Also I recently took my boat/trailer on a test tow. Only 3200#. I have the tow pkg. My Ranger hardly knew the trailer was behind me. That 10 spd. trans is the key. It keeps the engine at the proper RPM to deliver the needed torque. My old Durango had a bit more HP, much less torque. 4spd w/torque converter lock. It was constantly downshifting at the slightest hill. Not my Ranger.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

The only physical difference between tow package and not tow package is the hitch in the bumper, and the physical wires for the 7 way. Some trucks without tow package even shipped with the brake controller wires present while others you need to plug the pigtail into the harness at the rear. They all have the giant oil cooler, and they all have the same trans cooler.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Towing guide https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2019_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf (Page 32) " Do not exceed trailer weight of 3,500 lbs. when towing with bumper only" and "(1) Requires optional Trailer Towing Package (53R). "
Please remember if you were to have an accident and you exceeded the limits your insurance would probably take advantage the this and you would be on your own.
Time for a new insurance company, what if you ran a red light or were going 10 over?

Deleted member 1634

Time for a new insurance company, what if you ran a red light or were going 10 over?
If you damaged your truck doing either of those things, then you would be at fault since both of those are against the law. Insurance would probably still help you out, I don't think you'd be on your own completely, but you'd probably have to shell out more on your end in my mind. It depends on your policy. Part of the whole negligence and at-fault stuff. I'd imagine your rates would go up if nothing else.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you damaged your truck doing either of those things, then you would be at fault since both of those are against the law. Insurance would probably still help you out, I don't think you'd be on your own completely, but you'd probably have to shell out more on your end in my mind. It depends on your policy. Part of the whole negligence and at-fault stuff. I'd imagine your rates would go up if nothing else.
Accident vs willful disregard comes into play here. You'd have to swear up and down you didn't know you were overloaded or you would have a bad time.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are probably right,
It may go toward fault, which would just mean your insurance company would more likely have to pay, but it has been decades since insurance companies even pretended to be fair minded or defended their clients.
Nowadays they make a habit of always finding the easy way out, and that usually means screwing both parties without regard to fault or pertinent facts. Their typical response to a complaint is "sosueme"
That may sound cynical, but all of us cynics think we're realists.:giggle:

Deleted member 1634

You are probably right,
It may go toward fault, which would just mean your insurance company would more likely have to pay, but it has been decades since insurance companies even pretended to be fair minded or defended their clients.
Nowadays they make a habit of always finding the easy way out, and that usually means screwing both parties without regard to fault or pertinent facts. Their typical response to a complaint is "sosueme"
That may sound cynical, but all of us cynics think we're realists.:giggle:
Oh, I 100000% agree with that sentiment that insurance, and pretty much any other corporate entity for that matter, is only out to make the most money, irregardless of who they hurt or who gets run over in the process. You may not meet a more cynical person than I. hahaha

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
>Be me,
>Pull across a rural highway that I definitely thought was empty
>Find out the hard way it was most certainly not empty
>Be most certainly at fault
>Insurance pays for my car, lady was carrying PLPD on her 1992 Olds 88
>Get sued for negligence
>lose
>Insurance pays lady 88 thousand dollars (one for each number on her car I presume)
>Premiums don't go up at all.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
The only physical difference between tow package and not tow package is the hitch in the bumper, and the physical wires for the 7 way. Some trucks without tow package even shipped with the brake controller wires present while others you need to plug the pigtail into the harness at the rear. They all have the giant oil cooler, and they all have the same trans cooler.
Other things I really liked (assume part of the towing pkg) were the cancellation of rear obstruction alarms, and the option to extend your blind spot alert to your trailer's length. I didn't have my 7 pin connected when I hooked up the boat trailer to back it into the garage for some work. The obstruction alarm sensed the trailer and wouldn't shut up. ...learning curve.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other things I really liked (assume part of the towing pkg) were the cancellation of rear obstruction alarms, and the option to extend your blind spot alert to your trailer's length. I didn't have my 7 pin connected when I hooked up the boat trailer to back it into the garage for some work. The obstruction alarm sensed the trailer and wouldn't shut up. ...learning curve.
You can turn that all on with for scan though. It’s not a physical difference, just software.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
My .02 - only tow to maximum of 80% of rated towing capacity
Ah, the 80% rule. In the past, the tow capacity value was derived from the GCWR minus (weight of vehicle + 150 lbs for the driver). The 80% rule came from the fact that most of the time the vehicle has a lot more weight in it than the 150 lbs for the driver. So the 20% reduction was a ballpark figure to compensate for the extra weight in the vehicle. So if there are 4 large people, a full tank of gas, and supplies and firewood in the bed, you just added a bunch of weight to the vehicle. Likewise, the tow rating is reduced by this extra weight. If you want to stay within the Ford ratings for your Ranger, load the vehicle as you would for a trip, and weight it on a certified scale. Your max tow capacity would be the GCWR minus the weight figure. If you really want to get thorough, hitch the trailer up and head back to the scale. Verify that you are not exceeding the Ranger’s GVWR, axle and tire weight rating.

One of the issues I have with the tow rating is that often it does not take into account what trailer is being towed. For instance, a travel trailer with a large frontal and side area, is going to be more difficult to pull than a boat.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Please remember if you were to have an accident and you exceeded the limits your insurance would probably take advantage the this and you would be on your own.
This is a myth I've seen repeated on a few forums. If you read your policy documents you'll probably see that the only way you are not covered is if you are attempting to outrun police. Your insurance covers negligence....if insurance only covered people when they are doing things the way they are supposed to there would be no point to it. Nobody ever says if you speed, drive drunk, run a red light you are on your own. I think there are a few anecdotal stories of commercial operators being overloaded and getting their employees hurt, but that is not what we are talking about.

jh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Feels like there's a lot of fear mongering going on here, so I'll speak from experience. Last fall I towed a ~6000 lb boat to the coast from Portland, about a 2 hour trip each way. The truck did great. Would I want to do it every day? No, I would get something bigger in that case. But in a situation where the F-150 was being used to tow the travel trailer and the Ranger was the next most capable vehicle? Absolutely no problem.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the issues I have with the tow rating is that often it does not take into account what trailer is being towed. For instance, a travel trailer with a large frontal and side area, is going to be more difficult to pull than a boat.
It does in fact take into account frontal area... 55 Sq ft for the Ranger same as the F-150
This according to the 2019 Ford towing guide.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
It does in fact take into account frontal area... 55 Sq ft for the Ranger same as the F-150
This according to the 2019 Ford towing guide.
Thanks, I looked that up. I wonder how much it is reduced if someone goes to 60 sq ft frontal area?
Sponsored