First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Transfer tanks are not illegal. With an electric pump, hand siphon pump or no pump at all. You can plumb them into your factory system or they can be stand alone..

Is it illegal to carry Jerry cans in your neck of the woods? Same thing.
A correction on this Earth. If a tank it's set up to automatically siphon into the factory fuel tank or main fuel tank it is considered illegal in the United States for on-road use. This is something I found out recently well up an Idaho last week and talking to the guys at long-range Automotive. This is an EPA thing and that is why it is considered illegal. Now if you are only doing it off-road you are considered okay. Now what that stated this also means that you have a tank sitting in your bed that has its own pump that you can use to fill up the main tank or any other tank manually then it is considered okay to do even on the street.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think you misunderstood what I wrote so I'll try to be clearer. I didn't state transfer tanks were illegal what I meant was plumbing a transfer tank directly into the stock tank is likely not DOT legal. Notice I wrote....must have a fuel pump plumbed into the fuel system. Of course you could just use it as a jerry can but that means you have to stop to transfer the fuel.
Gotcha. Yes, an automatic siphon is not allowed. But then again really isn't needed in my opinion. Personally I don't see a problem with stopping to refuel, but it could be a downside to some.

A correction on this Earth. If a tank it's set up to automatically siphon into the factory fuel tank or main fuel tank it is considered illegal in the United States for on-road use. This is something I found out recently well up an Idaho last week and talking to the guys at long-range Automotive. This is an EPA thing and that is why it is considered illegal. Now if you are only doing it off-road you are considered okay. Now what that stated this also means that you have a tank sitting in your bed that has its own pump that you can use to fill up the main tank or any other tank manually then it is considered okay to do even on the street.
Two key phrases. "Automatic," and "off highway use only."

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
How will anyone know?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How will anyone know?
Random DOT inspections depending on state law for where you live. Also if you're moving to another state and they decide to do a DOT inspection on your vehicle they can fail your vehicle if you have one of those tanks not allowed on the road.

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m expecting to get the LRA tank for the Ranger on Monday. Will post some photos when I get it and also will post photos as I work on the install. This will definitely be a useful piece of equipment on my upcoming trips around the country.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m expecting to get the LRA tank for the Ranger on Monday. Will post some photos when I get it and also will post photos as I work on the install. This will definitely be a useful piece of equipment on my upcoming trips around the country.
Ummm unless you are willing to chop your frame it will not fit. I already posted this information in the long range fuel tank thread. Unfortunately there are some changes that need to be made in order for it to work.

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Ummm unless you are willing to chop your frame it will not fit. I already posted this information in the long range fuel tank thread. Unfortunately there are some changes that need to be made in order for it to work.
From my conversations with LRA, I was told your truck is a good bit different than mine. The leaf pack mounts are different from the 2019 to 2020 it sounds like and also I already know about the carrier bearing mount being 90° off. I’m going to be designing a new bracket for the carrier bearing side of the fuel tank.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From my conversations with LRA, I was told your truck is a good bit different than mine. The leaf pack mounts are different from the 2019 to 2020 it sounds like and also I already know about the carrier bearing mount being 90° off. I’m going to be designing a new bracket for the carrier bearing side of the fuel tank.
What you are thinking about is the bumper. That was the only thing that mattered when it came to the leaf mounts. Also it's different between the Australian Rangers to the u.s. Rangers.

What I'm talking about is the fuel tank. Yes there is a bracket at the carrier bearing which really isn't too bad as that can be adjusted as needed. The big problem is going to be at the rear left of the tank where either a notch needs to be made in the tank or you have to chop your frame where the tank would mount.

I have sent you a message with my phone number. You can give me a call for more details if you'd like. Do you remember that I am a certified Ford mechanic

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Just for giggles someone should chime in and say they have already had it for a week already. Sounds like someone is ready to spontaniously combust lol

In all seriousness, I would love a high capacity tank. Following this post with a fresh bag of popcorn!!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just for giggles someone should chime in and say they have already had it for a week already. Sounds like someone is ready to spontaniously combust lol

In all seriousness, I would love a high capacity tank. Following this post with a fresh bag of popcorn!!
I went up to Idaho to get the tank installed and unfortunately there was two problems with the mounting. One of the issues is easy to fix. The second not so much. Either the tank needs to be notched as mentioned before or the frame has to be cut. Personally I would notch the tank

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
What are you planning to do Frenchy

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
i'm gonna follow this thread.
see who gets the tank in first.
i may offer up a t-shirt to go to the winner, who can claim 1st place
Hahahaha! This sounds awesome. No I’m not in a pissing match just keeping everyone up to date that someone will continue working on the option to add an extended tank.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What are you planning to do Frenchy
At the moment I'm basically waiting for LRA to inform me they have a tank that has been revised to install on my truck period. as much as I would have loved to have it installed last month things are what they are.

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
I went up to Idaho to get the tank installed and unfortunately there was two problems with the mounting. One of the issues is easy to fix. The second not so much. Either the tank needs to be notched as mentioned before or the frame has to be cut. Personally I would notch the tank
That’s what LRA told me when I talked to them on the phone but from all the photos I sent them via text message it looks to be the only issue is the carrier bearing. So I’m going to work on that and then send LRA the CAD Drawings.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s what LRA told me when I talked to them on the phone but from all the photos I sent them via text message it looks to be the only issue is the carrier bearing. So I’m going to work on that and then send LRA the CAD Drawings.
You have my phone number. Please give me a call. I'm quite intrigued to say the least that's what you just told me and I would like to know a little bit more if you don't mind
Sponsored