got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Ok, so I got a bottle of Lucas octane boost and threw it in the truck, then later I poured it in the tank.:crackup: I have a hour and a half one way trip this weekend and 2/3 highway at 70mph+, so now I feel better.
Did you notice any difference in driving it?
Well I only drove it about 10 easy miles before I put the octane boost in, so not really.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The engine will be fine. The tankers get the stuff mixed up more often than you think and you never know.
I don't doubt that at all.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I ran 87 in my truck since new for the first 33k miles. Truck ran great, hwy mpg 20-24. Switched to 93 for a few tankfuls (and currently 91). No observed improvement in mpg or performance, but then I don't hammer on it or tow anything heavy. In fact, I may switch back to 87.
Even before the tune I could tell a difference. If you were to full throttle it a few times before and after I think you may see a difference. And it just seems more responsive on 93 octane. I realize full throttle is not typical driving, but when you need it, you need it.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Yes, I've punched it more than a few times on both octanes, it felt strong either way but my butt dyno may be off. I would definitely run the good stuff if I towed heavy stuff or ran a tune.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Hopefully you realize that most of us out here put 87 in our trucks every single time we fill up. Gas is expensive enough for us plebeians out here. I'm not paying any more for it than I have to, especially when it pretty much makes no difference in how the truck runs unless you have some fancy tune and are planning to race every car at every stop light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Hopefully you realize that most of out here put 87 in our trucks every single time we fill up. Gas is expensive enough for us plebeians out here. I'm not paying any more for it than I have to, especially when it pretty much makes no difference in how the truck runs unless you have some fancy tune and are planning to race every car at every stop light.
Hopefully you realize I am running a performance tune requiring at least 91 octane. And no I do not race every car and every stop light.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hopefully you realize I am running a performance tune requiring at least 91 octane. And no I do not race every car and every stop light.
It's ok, we all know what you really do!!!

Or maybe it's @AzScorpion right now?🤔

LvRob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Occupation
Cybersecurity Architect
Is it just me, am I this old, does no one remember, take a drive to your local small airport and go over to their fuel pumps. Pump a few gallons of their 110 to 120 octane to blend in with your 87 octane. I'm not going to profess to knowing how many gallons, like the math textbooks used to say -this is an exercise for the reader.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Is it just me, am I this old, does no one remember, take a drive to your local small airport and go over to their fuel pumps. Pump a few gallons of their 110 to 120 octane to blend in with your 87 octane. I'm not going to profess to knowing how many gallons, like the math textbooks used to say -this is an exercise for the reader.
Is that gas unleaded?

LvRob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Occupation
Cybersecurity Architect
Is that gas unleaded?
Now you're taking me seriously. Let me be clear. Do not go to the airport and attempt to put that fuel into your car or your truck. I'm just remembering my days as a youth with a mustang GT 5.0 with some driveway modifications from 1989.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Now you're taking me seriously. Let me be clear. Do not go to the airport and attempt to put that fuel into your car or your truck. I'm just remembering my days as a youth with a mustang GT 5.0 with some driveway modifications from 1989.
LOL! I have heard about people using av gas, I have actually used it a couple of time when I wrenched on planes. But that was in the early '90's and it was still leaded.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Bad start to the weekend. I was clearly not paying attention and accidentally hit the 87 button this morning filling up. Running the 91-93 LMS tune. I put 13.526 gallons in with the remaining 93 I had. Oh well, guess I'll take it easy until I can get some more 93 in it.
Won't matter one bit.. save your savings for retirement.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
LOL! I have heard about people using av gas, I have actually used it a couple of time when I wrenched on planes. But that was in the early '90's and it was still leaded.
Still leaded.
Long story about how I got a lot of free 105 but 2 cycle engines run like crap on it. Outboards way down on power and chainsaw carb diaphrams would get eaten up by the benzine.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
1974 + cars came with catalytic converters in the US... Leaded gas is incompatible .
Anybody know what that flapper door on the fuel filler was for?
Most younger people get that wrong.
The F150 was called a "heavy half ton" just to avoid the converters,and the flapper door on cars and light trucks was meant to be a restrictor to prevent inserting the larger nozzle used with leaded gas.
Here we are 50years later and leaded gas is long gone, yet the restricted filler is still mandatory.
go figger!
Sponsored