First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Here we are 50years later and leaded gas is long gone, yet the restricted filler is still mandatory.
go figger!
I think in todays age, there is the size difference to avoid putting in diesel....yet somehow you see that people still F that up??
Sponsored

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Question for the OP, did you notice any knocking or anything abnormal before you solved your problem? curious minds

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I run 87 quite often especially when prices are around $4 a gallon. Usually 4 87 tanks to one 93.
I also run a tune and notice no difference in performance IF I stick with BP or Shell. Kroger’s 87 burns like crap. I’ve also noticed no pinging.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I think in todays age, there is the size difference to avoid putting in diesel....yet somehow you see that people still F that up??
That is just one of the many rationalizations I have heard over the years. :like:
Oh well, we Ford owners are now stuck with that d@&med nuisance capless filler, which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't so code happy.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Question for the OP, did you notice any knocking or anything abnormal before you solved your problem? curious minds
No, as previously stated, I only drove it 10 easy miles before adding the octane booster.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That is just one of the many rationalizations I have heard over the years. :like:
Oh well, we Ford owners are now stuck with that d@&med nuisance capless filler, which wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't so code happy.
Well myself having driven Fords for my last 2 capless vehicles, and my wife same, never had an issue with the filler and setting codes.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Well myself having driven Fords for my last 2 capless vehicles, and my wife same, never had an issue with the filler and setting codes.
The reliability of a conventional cap still trumps the convenience of capless. especially if they are tethered.
Still I remember when every gas station had a big box of assorted gas caps because people went off and forgot them ... Many of those were surface mounted on the cars and painted to match.
I guarded my Pinto cap very carefully!:fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Still I remember when every gas station had a big box of assorted gas caps because people went off and forgot them ...
I remember those days!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Gee, I have owned 7 vehicles since 2011 with capless fillers and haven't had a code thrown by any of them.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
"Requires" seems like a bit strong of a word.
It's an appropriate word. The Ranger owners manual states that a minimum of 87 octane is "required" and using gas with lower octane can result in engine damage. When you tune your engine for more performance you give up the ability of the ECU to adjust for lower octanes than the stated "required" minimum. You can get away with a lower octane than the "required" minimum if you drive conservatively but start romping on it and you risk damaging the engine.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I have a specific 93 daily tune and a specific 93 performance tune. I have a lone ranger tune for any octane. If a specific octane of gas isn't required, then what's the point of having specific octane tunes? Wouldn't everyone just use the lone ranger tune?

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Sooo... not "required". Just "suggested" if you want to stomp on it all the time. Got it.

Seems a far cry from actually hurting anything in your engine that would require an apocalyptic response to accidentally putting in 87.
Wow, you just don't get it do you? I don't "romp on it all the time" and never suggested I do. Stop putting words in people's mouths. 91 is required in order not to damage anything with a tune that changes the ECU such that it cannot ajust to lower octane, as has been beaten to death already in this thread and elsewhere.
So in order not damage anything when I do need to get on it, and for my truck to perform as expected, I, and my truck, require at least 91 octane. Simple as that. Now go away.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The bottom line is you didn't hurt anything with your truck and you know it. Your post was just to boast that you ONLY use 91 octane cuz apparently you're more of a good truck guy than the rest of us. Good for you. Thuper.
Nope, you totally still don't get it. I was not boasting shit. I was genuinely worried I might have fucked up. I posted to get feedback and I got great feedback except your crap. Many Ranger owners here have tuned trucks and they were the ones I got good feedback from. Assuming you don't have a tune, why are you even bothering to reply? You are not contributing in a positve way. So again, go way.
Sponsored