8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
^this. As long as my brake controller (Redarc) gets that brake light signal, I can’t figure out how it would know the difference whether I am pressing the brake or the auto system is doing it. It will continue to function normally.
Because the purple wire on the controller harness is not switched on during AEB events. So in the absence of a connection to the CANBUS, the controller cannot know about an AEB event. IT will sense the deceleration, but without that brake signal, it won't hit the brakes on the trailer.

That said, once you are on the brakes (the AEB sets off an audible alarm) the controller will act according to the deceleration as long as you have a progressive controller that isn't based on a time delay (built in the last 10 years it's almost guaranteed)
Sponsored

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Because the purple wire on the controller harness is not switched on during AEB events. So in the absence of a connection to the CANBUS, the controller cannot know about an AEB event. IT will sense the deceleration, but without that brake signal, it won't hit the brakes on the trailer.

That said, once you are on the brakes (the AEB sets off an audible alarm) the controller will act according to the deceleration as long as you have a progressive controller that isn't based on a time delay (built in the last 10 years it's almost guaranteed)
Correct, the wire you tap into for the brake controller isn't the wire for the lights, it's the pedal request signal, which isn't live unless you're actually on the pedal.

I do agree that Ford could do better with the language. They haven't been good with Ranger material. Try following the Ford instructions for installing the soft rubber mud flaps... you WILL brake all the mounting points off your fender trim if you follow the steps verbatim...

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, the wire you tap into for the brake controller isn't the wire for the lights, it's the pedal request signal, which isn't live unless you're actually on the pedal.

I do agree that Ford could do better with the language. They haven't been good with Ranger material. Try following the Ford instructions for installing the soft rubber mud flaps... you WILL brake all the mounting points off your fender trim if you follow the steps verbatim...
First is that break or brake the mounting points:) Since we are talking about braking I can see the confusion.

Thank you for the clarification on the operation of the signal for a brake controller. Ford has indicated they will have an aftermarket brake controller in the 4th quarter. Will the aftermarket Ford brake controller address this issue? I realize you may not be able to address this question, however, thank you for your participation on the forum.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
First is that break or brake the mounting points:) Since we are talking about braking I can see the confusion.

Thank you for the clarification on the operation of the signal for a brake controller. Ford has indicated they will have an aftermarket brake controller in the 4th quarter. Will the aftermarket Ford brake controller address this issue? I realize you may not be able to address this question, however, thank you for your participation on the forum.
I can spell I swear!

I was under the impression that the "Ford" controller would be a re-branded Redarc, but it's possible something else is in the works that I'm unaware of.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I can spell I swear!

I was under the impression that the "Ford" controller would be a re-branded Redarc, but it's possible something else is in the works that I'm unaware of.
I can't find the other post, but people have talked to Ford Engineers in the past weeks at some events and they say they won't be offering a factory/Ford controller in MY 2020. Maybe in the next MY change, it will come w/ one.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I can't find the other post, but people have talked to Ford Engineers in the past weeks at some events and they say they won't be offering a factory/Ford controller in MY 2020. Maybe in the next MY change, it will come w/ one.
Right, it won't be "factory" it will be a dealer add-on.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
According to a conversation I just had with my Ford dealer, the “Ford Licensed trailer brake control module” for the Ranger will exist and is due mid-December. They also say (contrary to almost everything else I’ve read) that there is a connector in place for it under the left side of the dash.

I recently purchased a 2019 Ranger, explicitly for the purpose of towing a 6,000 lb trailer with electric brakes. I now really wish I had come across this forum a month ago. At the time, I thought it odd that in this day and age that a trailer brake controller was not part of the Towing Package that I had paid for as it is for practically every other truck on the market. But it was my understanding that installing an aftermarket brake controller would be no problem as it has been for decades now. In fact, the Towing Supplement that Ford publishes for the Ranger states in very clear language that an aftermarket controller is an expected requirement for towing with the Ranger.

Last week, I took my Ranger into a local shop to have the Curt Spectrum brake controller installed. In the process of doing so, the tech broke the connector to the remote and they had to order another one. No biggie; stuff happens. However, over the weekend the shop called and told me that they can’t install the controller because of the July service bulletin that warns that aftermarket controllers would not work properly with the automatic emergency braking system. They no longer wanted anything to do with my Ranger.

After hanging up with the shop guy, I immediately called the salesman at my Ford dealer and told him about this. He was dumbfounded. I didn’t have to say much to make him understand my problem: I’d just dropped the better part of $40,000 on a truck that is advertised as having “best in class” towing capability that in fact cannot practically nor legally tow anything bigger than a U-Haul, much less my camper.

In the meantime I researched further, found the service bulletin here, and also the rumors that there will be no “Ford Licensed trailer brake control module” in Q4 of this year, or any year for my generation of Ranger. I suspected that this is what the service manager would find, and since the service bulletin effectively precludes the dealership from helping me in material way, calling me back is not something he’s looking forward to doing. Their hands are tied.

I suppose I could install the controller myself. (Hacking car electrical systems was a regular hobby in my younger days) But I am then concerned how this may affect my warranty. If my SYNC system goes belly three years from now, is Ford going to say, “Well, you hacked the electrical system by installing a non-approved aftermarket controller that operated contrary to other integral electrical components, so your warranty is now void”?

Oh, and did I mention the two holes that are now in my center console that the shop drilled? What’s it going to cost to get that replaced? Perhaps the controller that Ford is going to supply will use them. Otherwise, I’m going to have to go after somebody to get that fixed.

So now I guess I wait two months until mid-December. Will be very interested in anything that anyone else learns here.

This experience (combined with a couple of other stupid issues) really sucked the joy out of buying a new vehicle.

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
According to a conversation I just had with my Ford dealer, the “Ford Licensed trailer brake control module” for the Ranger will exist and is due mid-December. They also say (contrary to almost everything else I’ve read) that there is a connector in place for it under the left side of the dash.

I recently purchased a 2019 Ranger, explicitly for the purpose of towing a 6,000 lb trailer with electric brakes. I now really wish I had come across this forum a month ago. At the time, I thought it odd that in this day and age that a trailer brake controller was not part of the Towing Package that I had paid for as it is for practically every other truck on the market. But it was my understanding that installing an aftermarket brake controller would be no problem as it has been for decades now. In fact, the Towing Supplement that Ford publishes for the Ranger states in very clear language that an aftermarket controller is an expected requirement for towing with the Ranger.

Last week, I took my Ranger into a local shop to have the Curt Spectrum brake controller installed. In the process of doing so, the tech broke the connector to the remote and they had to order another one. No biggie; stuff happens. However, over the weekend the shop called and told me that they can’t install the controller because of the July service bulletin that warns that aftermarket controllers would not work properly with the automatic emergency braking system. They no longer wanted anything to do with my Ranger.

After hanging up with the shop guy, I immediately called the salesman at my Ford dealer and told him about this. He was dumbfounded. I didn’t have to say much to make him understand my problem: I’d just dropped the better part of $40,000 on a truck that is advertised as having “best in class” towing capability that in fact cannot practically nor legally tow anything bigger than a U-Haul, much less my camper.

In the meantime I researched further, found the service bulletin here, and also the rumors that there will be no “Ford Licensed trailer brake control module” in Q4 of this year, or any year for my generation of Ranger. I suspected that this is what the service manager would find, and since the service bulletin effectively precludes the dealership from helping me in material way, calling me back is not something he’s looking forward to doing. Their hands are tied.

I suppose I could install the controller myself. (Hacking car electrical systems was a regular hobby in my younger days) But I am then concerned how this may affect my warranty. If my SYNC system goes belly three years from now, is Ford going to say, “Well, you hacked the electrical system by installing a non-approved aftermarket controller that operated contrary to other integral electrical components, so your warranty is now void”?

Oh, and did I mention the two holes that are now in my center console that the shop drilled? What’s it going to cost to get that replaced? Perhaps the controller that Ford is going to supply will use them. Otherwise, I’m going to have to go after somebody to get that fixed.

So now I guess I wait two months until mid-December. Will be very interested in anything that anyone else learns here.

This experience (combined with a couple of other stupid issues) really sucked the joy out of buying a new vehicle.
I also bought my Ranger to tow my travel trailer, max weight 3814 wet/loaded , paid my local Dealer to connect my Redarc controller ( they did not have a problem connecting it even though it was after market) then went home connected my trailer up and it did not work, took it back they said guess my truck was not made for after market controller , they said they contacted Ford corporate was waiting for a reply. Never heard back , I called corporate put in a complaint, never heard anything again. Long story short I ran my blue wire from controller ( Redarc) straight back to trailer 7 way connector like Redarc instructions said and my controller works just fine. My salesman knew I was buying truck to pull my trailer during the summer months. In future buying I will only buy if the truck has a controller installed and working before signing

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'll volunteer to install ANYONE's BRAKE CONTROLLER that comes to my house with a sixer, a factory towing package, and some crimp on butte splices.

It's literally the easiest install I've EVER DONE for a brake controller. Those that have shops telling them they cannot install should absolutely find a different shop.

I've driven probably 2K miles this year with my ranger hooked to some sort of brake controlled trailer, and I assure you it's as safe as any other vehicle...

The Redarc is a little harder because you have to pull some trim pieces, but whatever, offer still stands. I'd rather be mildly inconvenienced by some IPA than have you all driving around pulling trailers that have no brakes :)

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

There are several threads of installs of controllers.

These might put you at ease for a self-install.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tekonsha-brake-controller-install-super-easy.2559/
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/reese-compact-brake-controller-install.2193/

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll volunteer to install ANYONE's BRAKE CONTROLLER that comes to my house with a sixer, a factory towing package, and some crimp on butte splices.

It's literally the easiest install I've EVER DONE for a brake controller. Those that have shops telling them they cannot install should absolutely find a different shop.

I've driven probably 2K miles this year with my ranger hooked to some sort of brake controlled trailer, and I assure you it's as safe as any other vehicle...

The Redarc is a little harder because you have to pull some trim pieces, but whatever, offer still stands. I'd rather be mildly inconvenienced by some IPA than have you all driving around pulling trailers that have no brakes :)
Same here, just don't bring IPA. Too bitter for me.

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase

I’ll definitely do the same out here in Southern California. Heck I’ll even thrown in FORSCAN if you want while we’re at it..

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Instead of butt splices, I will use these. I have them on hand as they are standard type connectors on older Goldwings. Just waiting on Ford to release the re-branded Redarc to compare prices.
DSCF2019.jpg

Ray Miller

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 , 2020 Indian Roadmaster Elite
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
My local dealer informed me that the release date is unknown but some info they were made aware of. The programming is when you push the trailer tow mode on the center console, it will turn off the AEB/adaptive cruise and lane assistance.
Sponsored