Can you add the FX4 package to and XL?

Mannyflmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Hello, recently got an STX 4x4 and wondering if I would be able to add all the fx4 stuff? Or if anyone has some good recommendations on mods I should look into..When I went to the dealership they didn’t have any fx4. I’m super happy with my truck but would love to add some stuff especially for when I go camping
Sponsored

Scott C

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Driver
I think you would be able to add the skid plates and shocks pretty easily but adding the locker for the rear diff might be $$$$

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Things the FX4 have offroad screen(not sure if you can get that on the STX), differnt shocks, rear locker, terrain management and trail control. If you have the mid level instrument cluster then you should be able to add most. The o ly thing that hasnt been figured out quite yet is the trail control(low speed cruise control).

OP
OP
Mannyflmn

Mannyflmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Things the FX4 have offroad screen(not sure if you can get that on the STX), differnt shocks, rear locker, terrain management and trail control. If you have the mid level instrument cluster then you should be able to add most. The o ly thing that hasnt been figured out quite yet is the trail control(low speed cruise control).
Thanks for the reply!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks for the reply!
No problem. Also instead of going with the FX4 shocks I would suggest a different suspension for offroad. My personal favorite is the Old Man EMU lift by ARB. Another good option is the Fox leveling kit. Ford Performance has thier own version of the Fox kita as well and any of them will do better than stock for offroad performance and cleaned up street characteristics.

Here are pictures of my truck with the Old Man EMU lift.

And yes I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and they do pretty well for offroad.

0719201440.jpg

0719201535_HDR.jpg

0509201513.jpg

0507201943_HDR.jpg

0507201943a.jpg

OP
OP
Mannyflmn

Mannyflmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
No problem. Also instead of going with the FX4 shocks I would suggest a different suspension for offroad. My personal favorite is the Old Man EMU lift by ARB. Another good option is the Fox leveling kit. Ford Performance has thier own version of the Fox kita as well and any of them will do better than stock for offroad performance and cleaned up street characteristics.

Here are pictures of my truck with the Old Man EMU lift.

And yes I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and they do pretty well for offroad.

0719201440.jpg

0719201535_HDR.jpg

0509201513.jpg

0507201943_HDR.jpg

0507201943a.jpg
Truck looks awesome!

Wesmertz

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger SXT FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Grocery Management
I send the suggestion for the fox stage 2 level kit. Those fx4 shocks are wobbly and bouncy anyways. The fox coil overs will level you and take the beating better. Still plenty comfortable for normal driving.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You might have the same shocks that I do in the XLT 4X4 sport. They’re not as bad as the FX4 stock shocks. Other than not having a locker myself it has done everything that I need it to. I added TM to mine though. If you want to swap in a locker you can find them in junkyards now from front totals of Rangers. They come with the disk brakes complete too. Around 1.5K for them used. Still have to wire it in though. We don’t have the harnesses for them!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, recently got an STX 4x4 and wondering if I would be able to add all the fx4 stuff? Or if anyone has some good recommendations on mods I should look into..When I went to the dealership they didn’t have any fx4. I’m super happy with my truck but would love to add some stuff especially for when I go camping
Hi Manny,

Short answer is yes.... Just be aware that FX4 was tuned for Off Road and a compromise for On Road that have some folks maligning the shock tuning... Playing the shock game is analogous to "what oil will you use in your Ranger"....

Having created the FX4 brand, I can say from my experience it delivers on the street and off road...Others will flame me for this statement...So I retreat to my flameproof bunker...

Best,
Phil

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
@P. A. Schilke I have to agree with you on this. I find that my XLT FX4 rides just as smooth as the XL STX 2WD I had before. I have no complaints about the factory FX4 shocks. And I can fly through the corners on the back roads just as fast in the FX4 as I did in the STX. Plus the FX4 is so much better on gravel roads.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hi Manny, I was lucky and found a new FX4 on a lot close enough to drive to, so I bought it.

Having said that, we do a lot of off roading mostly to get to trails or fishing we otherwise wouldn’t have access to and I would say the number of times just straight 4x4 wasn’t enough are few.

My recommendation is to get out there and start camping and don’t worry about the packages you may not have. When you get denied from some place you wanted to go because you didn’t have a locker or skid plates, then consider upgrading.

I predict you will never miss the automated trail control/management features. Heck, last winter we were going up a pretty steep icey trail getting to one of our favorite snowshoe routes. As we progressed I was talking to my wife and the truck was really slewing around pretty wildly. As we approached our trail head my wife said, “is there a reason you didn’t put it in 4 wheel drive?”. I looked at her surprised and said, “why yes, yes there is…. I forgot”. :)

Matin789

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Occupation
freelance
This is such a nice truck! :)