FX2 off-road capabilities

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
Just picked up a 2020 FX2 and loving it so far. I don’t live anywhere needing 4wd and didn’t want to pay the extra upfront cost and hit in fuel economy, so the FX2 package was perfect for me. Just looking to get to some fun camping spots.

I just got to try out the locking diff for the first time. Have had 4wd vehicles in the fast, I was impressed with how it did. One section in particular was a good example. It’s a part where opposing corners get light and I had spun the wheels on my 4wd 4Runner there in the past. I tried in 2wd and, no surprise, couldn’t make it up. Hit the diff lock and it motored up it without complaint.

While a 4wd will have ultimate advantage, the FX2 has a good amount of off-road chips and should suit my adventures quite nicely. I’m interested to here others experiences.

49BA5156-9E54-4A86-9CD7-E6CF68C153D6.jpeg
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy Kris! The FX2 is a great deal. Getting that locking diff makes a huge difference in traction and on many trails, negates the need for 4X4.

PS: That is a great picture and a great view!

BlueXLT

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Just picked up a 2020 FX2 and loving it so far. I don’t live anywhere needing 4wd and didn’t want to pay the extra upfront cost and hit in fuel economy, so the FX2 package was perfect for me. Just looking to get to some fun camping spots.

I just got to try out the locking diff for the first time. Have had 4wd vehicles in the fast, I was impressed with how it did. One section in particular was a good example. It’s a part where opposing corners get light and I had spun the wheels on my 4wd 4Runner there in the past. I tried in 2wd and, no surprise, couldn’t make it up. Hit the diff lock and it motored up it without complaint.

While a 4wd will have ultimate advantage, the FX2 has a good amount of off-road chips and should suit my adventures quite nicely. I’m interested to here others experiences.

49BA5156-9E54-4A86-9CD7-E6CF68C153D6.jpeg
I have the FX2 and really want to try the locker one of these days. My truck will live on pavement for the most part but it's good to know it's capable. Also - Nice shot of Morro Rock in the back ground. Spent a lot of time out there as a kid.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I put a limited slip in my 2010 and it went places full size trucks needed 4x4.

The only real bummer was not having low gear. Having low would of been nice, and definitely would of increased places it could of gone.

I opted to get my new truck in 4x4.
Sponsored