Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, I am ordering new tires this week. I currently have 265/70R17 (31.6”) and have been happy with a mpg/performance aspect, but like the looks of the 285/70R17 (32.8”) tires.

For those who have 33s, would you do it again? Mpg isn’t much of a concern, but the performance of this truck and my enjoyment driving it is important. Was there a big performance decrease when moving up to that size tire?

For what its worth I would be going with a passenger rated Toyo AT3 which weights roughly 48 pounds, which to my understanding is pretty lightweight for a 33.
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I can't speak to the ranger, but on my old Toyota the previous owner had put on biggerwheels/tires. I don't remember exactly what they were, but he changed to wheels and tires to something bigger. They were pretty big. Added: They were 32.5.

Would I do it on my Ranger? No. At the time I was doing a lot of beach driving and they were great. Now, though I may do some mild off-roading I don't need them. So for me. No. I don't want them. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Nope ran them for about 5000 miles and went back to 6 ply 31” mud terrains. I would have a set of 33’s on separate wheels for off-roading only as this is what I use my 31” mud terrains for and stock tires and wheels for normal driving

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Anytime you are adding rotating weight and or mass, get up and go and mpgs will be affected. It don't take much of an increase to make a pretty big difference.
I had a 2011 f150 6.2 for a while great truck, had stock road tires, changed to an all-terrain tire similar to the toyo at2, and went up to a 275/70r18 and right away noticed a lose of get up and go and 3 tanks later saw that I lost about 1.5 to 2 MPG. Loved the look but took them off and went back to the stock road tires.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Hello everyone, I am ordering new tires this week. I currently have 265/70R17 (31.6”) and have been happy with a mpg/performance aspect, but like the looks of the 285/70R17 (32.8”) tires.

For those who have 33s, would you do it again? Mpg isn’t much of a concern, but the performance of this truck and my enjoyment driving it is important. Was there a big performance decrease when moving up to that size tire?

For what its worth I would be going with a passenger rated Toyo AT3 which weights roughly 48 pounds, which to my understanding is pretty lightweight for a 33.
I don’t think performance will be drastically different if you’re sticking with SL tires. They will wear faster though.

A lot of the felt performance loss comes from the extra weight so keeping that to a minimum will be helpful. A lot of the folks complaining about lost performance are going with an E load rated tire which in a 33 could easily weight close to 60lbs.

A good middle ground would probably be a C rated tire which is a 6 ply. That would probably hold up a bit better off-road and be less susceptible to puncture. Additionally you will get better tread life from the higher load rated tires.

Zeus

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport XLT
Occupation
Commercial Driving Instructor
I bought my Ranger used with 7000 miles on it. I have managed to dog out the truck driving faster than I should-and a year later with 12k miles on it, power has decresed a lot. Service department says nothing is wrong, no codes or dash lights so I'm a little bummed about power loss already.

Adding "33's" from the stock 255/65/17 added more sluggishness for my truck...but now I drive it like my old Toyota with the 22RE motor. Sadly I wont be making Tesla drivers angry anymore because they couldn't catch me...:LOL:

OP
OP
_Ian_

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone for your replies. I understand there will be a loss of power, I suppose I am just trying to gauge just how big that loss will be. Moving up 1.2” in diameter and roughly 5lbs a wheel, does that feel like a loss of 25hp or 100hp?

when I initially moved up to the 31.6” tires, the power loss was there, but minimal. Idk if that will be the case again or if it grows exponentially.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had my 34 (33.9 285/75/17) Toyo OpenCountry AT3s (C rating ones not E) for a little less than a week and I'm impressed. I haven't noticed a dramatic loss of power (if at all) but I do mostly highway driving during the week. Weekends I try to go off the beaten path and they've performed great. The stock tires were terrible.

What I was really surprised by was the MPG hit, I'm getting less than a 4 mpg difference and most of the time its like 2 less or so. I do think if I went with the E rating which are a bit heavier it would have been worse. I think the C ratings are a good compromise, albeit hard to find. I'll post some pictures when I get home. Been meaning to do a show case...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thank you everyone for your replies. I understand there will be a loss of power, I suppose I am just trying to gauge just how big that loss will be. Moving up 1.2” in diameter and roughly 5lbs a wheel, does that feel like a loss of 25hp or 100hp?

when I initially moved up to the 31.6” tires, the power loss was there, but minimal. Idk if that will be the case again or if it grows exponentially.
I noticed a slight loss when I added mine (31.6) but like you I didn't think it was all that bad. Worse case if you feel like there's a significant power loss you could always a tune it.

Michealj

First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My seat of the pants dyno feels like I lost less than 25hp going to the 285/70 R17. We went 10 ply E rated Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they are a huge upgrade. A lot of the roads we drive on are muddy in the spring and fall and rocky during the summer, the added capability of a good AT or hybrid tire is huge for us, the OEM Hankooks left us in a tough spot a few times.

7B84D686-5F2C-45DB-8DD2-F6A909AE3DED.jpeg
DFD883A5-AD1C-475C-808B-CCA1049D770F.jpeg

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer

I can't remember the exact number but I believe it's something like every 2 to 3 lb in rotating weight is a horsepower. I think it's something like every 6 or 7 lb weight is a horsepower.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Sadly I wont be making Tesla drivers angry anymore because they couldn't catch me
Is that a thing that Tesla drivers are sensitive about? I swear I've never encountered one on the roads that didn't speed up when I go to overtake them.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

I did...never going back...might even see if I can move up to 35...
Sponsored