3 years / 30k miles - Shop says I need to flush brake and coolant, is this true?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Shouldn't the 3 36 warranty cover bad brake fluid ? If it's bad a 30000 ?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Shouldn't the 3 36 warranty cover bad brake fluid ? If it's bad a 30000 ?
That is a no sir. Maintenance is not underder warranty. Maintenance is to be paid for out of pocket(unless you have a fance maintenance plan paid for from Ford, yes they exist)

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
It seems early in its life to already need to flush the fluids - but from what little I could find on the forum, one person said the brake fluid can absorb water and yes needs flushing 'regularly'.

Dealer quoted 400$
I just replaced the brake fluid today on my 2019 Ranger Lariat. A few hours and $12 for the DOT4 fluid. Truck a few months short of 3 years old with 35,163 miles. I have a brake fluid tester (OEM Tools) and it showed 0% water and the fluid color looked just slightly amber. Its a closed system but most car manufacturers are now recommending the brake fluid be replaced at some interval.

I have done brake fluid replacement on 4 vehicles recently and all fluid showed no water and color was slightly amber.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I just replaced the brake fluid today on my 2019 Ranger Lariat. A few hours and $12 for the DOT4 fluid. Truck a few months short of 3 years old with 35,163 miles. I have a brake fluid tester (OEM Tools) and it showed 0% water and the fluid color looked just slightly amber. Its a closed system but most car manufacturers are now recommending the brake fluid be replaced at some interval.

I have done brake fluid replacement on 4 vehicles recently and all fluid showed no water and color was slightly amber.
What method did you use for the ranger? Vaccum pump or just have someone pump the pedal while you crack open the bleeder?

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Brake fluid (other than the DOT 5 silicone stuff, which we don't use in these trucks) is hydrophilic (absorbs water from the air). It should be changed on a fairly regular basis (2-3 years sounds about right). The water that gets absorbed can do a number of negative things to your braking system.

Edit, I just realized the quote was $400 for both the coolant and brake flush, which is not outrageous, but pretty high. The coolant doesn't need to be done. The brake flush should be done soon. Anything over $150 is crazy expensive for brake flush, if I had a shop do it, I would expect to pay something in the $90-$120 range.

Last edited:

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What method did you use for the ranger? Vaccum pump or just have someone pump the pedal while you crack open the bleeder?
Vacuum pump method does not work well due air leakage into the hose at the bleeder fitting. Sealing the bleeder fitting is a pain honestly.

Here’s what I do. With a medical syringe with a small hose attached to it, I remove the old fluid. The Ranger master cylinder has a small hole that I insert the hose into to empty the reservoir. Then I fill the reservoir with new fluid and put cap on.

I do a single person bleed using a plastic bottle with some brake fluid in it. Then I have a hose that goes into the bottle immersed in the fluid. Attach the hose to the bleeder fitting and crack it open. The bottle and hose is situated above the bleeder fitting. I glued a magnet to the bottom of the bottle so it stays in place. Then I pump the brake pedal slowly for 20 pumps starting at the RR, LR, RF, LF. This per the FSM. Making sure to refill the reservoir after each brake bled. I used 32 oz bottle entire contents including final top off of reservoir.
There are numerous videos on YouTube explaining the single person bleed.

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vacuum pump method does not work well due air leakage into the hose at the bleeder fitting. Sealing the bleeder fitting is a pain honestly.

Here’s what I do. With a medical syringe with a small hose attached to it, I remove the old fluid. The Ranger master cylinder has a small hole that I insert the hose into to empty the reservoir. Then I fill the reservoir with new fluid and put cap on.

I do a single person bleed using a plastic bottle with some brake fluid in it. Then I have a hose that goes into the bottle immersed in the fluid. Attach the hose to the bleeder fitting and crack it open. The bottle and hose is situated above the bleeder fitting. I glued a magnet to the bottom of the bottle so it stays in place. Then I pump the brake pedal slowly for 20 pumps starting at the RR, LR, RF, LF. This per the FSM. Making sure to refill the reservoir after each brake bled. I used 32 oz bottle entire contents including final top off of reservoir.
There are numerous videos on YouTube explaining the single person bleed.

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1655509270843.jpeg

1655509312395.jpeg

1655509376755.jpeg

I tested the removed fluid and it was less than 1% per the tool which allows selection of fluid type

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
The coolant change requirements from the manual are 200,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes fires. Most are not going to make the 200K mark before it needs changing.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My '91 ranger with 330k has had the coolant changed once at 130k because of the water pump developing a small leak . It still has the original brake fluid , lol .

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Brake fluid is something the domestic Mfg never really called out on a maintenance schedule until the 2000's.
European Mfg have had it on the maint schedule for decades, how many times have you seen a old chevy, dodge or Ford with black brake fluid in the master.
It's hygroscopic, in wet areas it needs changing more often.

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
i think its bogus...brake fluid?? why? did older cars require it? no...its in a sealed system...should last a very long time.. coolants same... at least 100,000 miles before considering in my opinion.. just dealerships trying to make money... just like oil changes, manual says 7500 miles they tell you 3,000. service advisors are there for 1 thing, sell you anything they can....period

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
Don't forget, our vehicles require a low viscosity brake fluid, using the same old DOT 4 from NAPA is not acceptable. Even most mechanics don't realize that this is the case for all Ford vehicles going back 10+ years. Easiest way to get the right fluid is to go straight to the dealer for it. I bought Motorcraft LV fluid from Rock Auto and it was very inexpensive.
Sponsored